Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203791 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1250 on: October 13, 2011, 06:22:28 PM »
And we "only" have 25 employees, so this thread is the unofficial 26th. And why am I (other than Rich) the only person who auctions posters who contributes here in a non-selling way?
Bruce

Uh-oh.  What happened to the other 4 members of the emovieposter team that you had just a few short months ago?
Has the weekly losing of thousands of dollars on all those items forced layoffs?
I'm keeping my fingers crossed you stay open until those Halloween auctions are finished.
 :)

(and my real guess is they might have been summer help who went back to school)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:19:16 PM by crowzilla »
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1251 on: October 13, 2011, 07:03:54 PM »
we've been over this discussion once before.. with lots of acrimony.
ain't happening Mathias..

You keep mixing names Rich. 50s is Steve, I`m Matias (or 110x75). It baffles me seeing a Vegas man confused with so few numbers...  ;)

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1252 on: October 13, 2011, 07:18:31 PM »
You keep mixing names Rich. 50s is Steve, I`m Matias (or 110x75). It baffles me seeing a Vegas man confused with so few numbers...  ;)

what's your NSF id Matias

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1253 on: October 13, 2011, 07:22:34 PM »
110x75 too
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1254 on: October 13, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »
don't know why I keep making the mistake.. or why I ever made it.. too much information .. clogging brain.....

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1255 on: October 13, 2011, 07:27:36 PM »
Those who think (1) I "ruined" this auction by posting it here or (2) thought they were going to get it at a bargain price are smoking crack.

With four days left, it had already blown $1,000, it had three bidders (two of whom had bid $1,000+), and one bidder with 10,000+ feedback (obviously a dealer). As of this evening it had 99 views and probably many watchers.  It's going to blow $4,000+ at the end, just like A Clockwork Orange did.

Also, let's not overestimate the import of this forum, as great as it is.  One prominent dealer told me 90% of his customers NEVER visit any forum.  Also, Heritage had 1000+ bidders in its last signature auction, and maybe 5-10 of them came from this forum.  

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:29:03 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1256 on: October 13, 2011, 07:37:42 PM »
If you want to out every Raymond Chandler auction item that comes up.. go ahead.. it doesn't bother me. If I win it or lose it, I'm not losing sleep over it in any case

If I had 50 or more Raymond Chandler posters I likely would be over them too!  ;)

Cheers,

!(110 x 75 too)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1257 on: October 13, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
If I had 50 or more Raymond Chandler posters ........

....... you'd still be 50-100 short

wynk

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1258 on: October 13, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »
Those who think (1) I "ruined" this auction by posting it here or (2) thought they were going to get it at a bargain price are smoking crack.

With four days left, it had already blown $1,000, it had three bidders (two of whom had bid $1,000+), and one bidder with 10,000+ feedback (obviously a dealer). As of this evening it had 99 views and probably many watchers.  It's going to blow $4,000+ at the end, just like A Clockwork Orange did.

Also, let's not overestimate the import of this forum, as great as it is.  One prominent dealer told me 90% of his customers NEVER visit any forum.  Also, Heritage had 1000+ bidders in its last signature auction, and maybe 5-10 of them came from this forum.  

Lets suppose it is dealers that are reading these threads to be alerted to interesting auction items. Dealers who have little time to be trawling auction sites for themselves...thus pushing out the collectors. That clockwork orange bid history you briefly showed appeared to be won by a dealer (not a collector).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:53:12 PM by 50s »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1259 on: October 13, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Lets suppose it is dealers that are reading these threads to be alerted to interesting auction items. Dealers who have little time to be trawling auction sites for themselves...thus pushing out the collectors. That clockwork orange bid history you briefly showed appeared to be won by a dealer (not a collector).

That particular Clockwork Orange poster is even rarer than the Irish Goldfinger quad but far fewer collectors are aware of its value.  It was never publicized.  We were talking about it behind the scenes and thought it might "slip between the cracks."  It didn't.  It blew up at the end notwithstanding its relative obscurity and lack of promotion. 

I don't agree that dealers don't "trawl" Ebay for bargains.  That's how a lot of them get their stock.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1260 on: October 13, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
I don't agree that dealers don't "trawl" Ebay for bargains.  That's how a lot of them get their stock.

That's not what I said.

I said the ones with little time to trawl ebay could get a heads up reading here. Trawling = thorough looking. Dealers can buy from ebay without trawling. Dealers often have many many sources of posters, ebay is just one. It is just not possible to manually trawl everywhere, always: that's what makes this thread potentially of benefit to them.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1261 on: October 13, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »
I never look at ebay.. I come to this thread to get all my ebay searches done.

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1262 on: October 13, 2011, 10:17:47 PM »
  Oh, and Kate has helped with the number of views.   qip

:D :D
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1263 on: October 13, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »
Oh and the Goldfinger currently has 28 watchers.  I wonder how many were watching before the post?  ;)
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1264 on: October 13, 2011, 10:29:52 PM »
Oh and the Goldfinger currently has 28 watchers. 

How can you see the number of watchers?  Inquiring minds want to know....

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1265 on: October 13, 2011, 10:31:36 PM »
How can you see the number of watchers?  Inquiring minds want to know....

Mel I thought you were the internet poster detective?
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1266 on: October 13, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »
Mel, Mel, Mel... where do I begin?  You are responding like someone who was caught making a half ass argument and instead of admitting they were wrong, they double down with a bunch of dubious facts and figures trying to confuse the issue!  None of the statements you made support your premise... that outting a poster will definitely *not* affect the final auction value.

First of all, quit playing the victim... no one ever said you 'ruined' the Bond quad auction. We are having a philosophical debate about the pros and cons of discussing auction items before they end.  I listed a whole bunch of cons... I have yet to hear you list a single pro.  At best you are trying to claim you are doing no harm.  And I don't count discussing something for the sake of discussing something a pro.

As for this Bond quad auction, I stated before you did that this poster would probably end up at $3.5K-$4k, if not much higher.  I said 'probably' because Bond is a popular target for collectors and I've seen the hand quad go for similar amounts even in obscure auctions outside HA and Christies.  However, you stated 'It's going to blow $4,000+ at the end' like it is a guaranteed fact.  It very well might for the reasons I listed above, but that statement is not a fact you can use to back up your defense.  It is still conjecture at this point.

You also make a big deal of the 'large' last-minute snipes on the Clockwork orange poster and try to hold that up as evidence that deals can't be had on eBay for high value posters. I say horseshit.  Putting poster values aside for a second, do you really believe the presence of snipers means deals can't be had?  I'm pretty sure we all use sniping programs here... you included.  Have you never scored a deal with a sniping program?  I know I have many times... even on high priced posters.

And I find it absolutely laughable that you are trying to use the Clockwork poster prove your point!  This poster has sold on HA for $14,340, $15,535, and $19,120.  Christies has only sold it once for $14,292.  I'll flip your hyperbolic statement around and say that anyone who thinks that poster wasn't a bargain at only $6,677 is smoking crack.  That poster sold for only 35%-47% of its past auction values...  you tried to point to large last minute snipes, the presence of dealer bidders (which is also a strawman argument), and the 'behind the scenes' chatter (which you initiated by the way) as proof that this one didn't fall through the cracks... even without discussion in this mid-auction thread.  I would argue this poster DEFINITELY fell through the cracks and this seller left a good $5K min on the table.  You are again confusing your personal value proposition with the relative value of posters.  Just because a poster sold for 'a lot of money' (your definition) does not mean the buyer spent 'a lot of money' for it (market's definition).

Once again, is it your right to 'out' whatever auction you want... but it is also my right to call you a reckless idiot who will eventually cost other collectors on this forum real money... apparently just so you can be provocative.  As a lawyer I know its your job to put equal effort into defending both the good cases and the bad... but honestly, this one is a dog Mel and you need to walk away.  By the nature of auctions, we'll never definitively know if outting an auction led another collector to pay more than they had to... but there are no pros to doing so.  Why bother at all?  

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1267 on: October 13, 2011, 10:46:06 PM »
Oh and the Goldfinger currently has 28 watchers.  I wonder how many were watching before the post?  ;)

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1268 on: October 13, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »
You know, Harry, I do go back and forth with the mid-auction analysis thread.  Selfishly, it may drive up the price on something I want.  For the greater good, though, it's educational, and it can alert someone who's long looking for a poster that one is out there.  I have no data to support this statement, but I don't think that there are many auctions out there for something good that will get missed, and if another bidder or two is added to the mix as a result of this thread, somehow it doesn't strike me as having too much a bearing on the final price.  It is fun to watch some of these auctions as they are happening.

But, as I said, I'm really torn.  If the thread were terminated, I don't think I'd cry over it. But at the same time, I wouldn't terminate it because I think it serves the community well.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1269 on: October 13, 2011, 10:52:15 PM »
I am going to out auction right here and right now

this is Lily Auction.. she is a lesbian....

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:53:19 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1270 on: October 13, 2011, 10:57:36 PM »
She should never have outted her face but the rest looks ok...
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1271 on: October 13, 2011, 11:23:42 PM »
this is Lily Auction.. she is a lesbian....

Did you say, L-L-L-L-Lesbian?  mesmrized

There I go again, mucking up another thread with a silly gif.  hitself

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1272 on: October 13, 2011, 11:59:23 PM »
Did you say, L-L-L-L-Lesbian?  mesmrized

There I go again, mucking up another thread with a silly gif.  hitself

you should have jumped the gif about 5 more minutes into the movie

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1273 on: October 14, 2011, 12:30:29 AM »
You know, Harry, I do go back and forth with the mid-auction analysis thread.  Selfishly, it may drive up the price on something I want.  For the greater good, though, it's educational, and it can alert someone who's long looking for a poster that one is out there.  I have no data to support this statement, but I don't think that there are many auctions out there for something good that will get missed, and if another bidder or two is added to the mix as a result of this thread, somehow it doesn't strike me as having too much a bearing on the final price.  It is fun to watch some of these auctions as they are happening.

But, as I said, I'm really torn.  If the thread were terminated, I don't think I'd cry over it. But at the same time, I wouldn't terminate it because I think it serves the community well.

Holiday, you are making about the only legit argument one could make... That you think it might help someone. I just happen to belelieve that you are probably equally if not more likely to hurt the very person you were intending to help by posting publicly. Given the risks, I think PMs are a much better option.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1274 on: October 14, 2011, 12:32:33 AM »
this gif is so much better: