Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203465 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1225 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:26 AM »
I am bidding in a few days on an item certain to go over Mels $ threshhold and I would be gutted if it appeared on this forum.

I know that feeling.  8)

The price of the poster shouldn't matter... we all collect in different price ranges. 

Matt, you make a great point about our collecting price ranges. My threshold would be much lower than $1,000.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1226 on: October 13, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »
You guys are just rehashing arguments that the  "majority" - spearheaded by "Con Man Carson" - made and lost ages ago:

Charlie

« Reply #1227 on: October 13, 2011, 08:38:02 AM »
I think I can side with Mel in some ways here.  Because there are some deep pockets on here, if I knew there was a poster of interest that crept out of what I would pay, I would think it a benefit for other members to know about it.  Because at that level, money is not the biggest concern.  If you are willing to pay $1000, then $1200 isn't much more... well, its $200 more, but my point is if you are willing to pay $1000, then you really want it.  Plus, if it is not for your collection and your thinking you can get it for less as an investment or to flip, then I am even more happy to let those that would truly appreciate it know.  In the spirit of the hobby it should go to someone who really wants it.  Plus, Mel won't catch them all...

Is there not one instance of a mid-auction post benefiting a member?  The other way I have started do this, is if I know certain members are into certain posters I PM them.  I have run across some stuff I thought others would like to know about and just send them a link.   

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1228 on: October 13, 2011, 08:47:08 AM »
Is there not one instance of a mid-auction post benefiting a member?    

Absolutely.  8)

I have gotten pms from more than one member.

This is not at all a simple topic. It is a double edged sword. I am all for the freedom and on this forum and that it is up to the individual what they post.

BTW. I would never compare Steve and Matt to Carson.  :P

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1229 on: October 13, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »
This is all just my opinion... feel free to disagree.

• Sure, high profile signature auction items (Frankie, etc..) from HA and eMovie are fair game if people really want to discuss them.
  • However, eBay is a *totally* different beast... stuff falls through the cracks all the time -- as Mel very well knows and takes advantage of.
  • As stated above, we all collect different items and at different price ranges... and there are deals to be had over the whole spectrum -- just because there might be less deals at the top end doesn't mean they don't exist.
  • Therefore I definitely don't agree with Mel's justification -- basically he is saying that if it is out of his personal price range or area of interest, that it somehow becomes fair game.
  • At the same time, I agree with Holiday/T's decision not to censor the forum -- so Mel is definitely within his rights as a forum member to post these mid-auction items -- However, it is also my right to disagree the practice each and every time he does it, even if we've had the conversation before.
  • In response to Neo, I think it is an exaggeration to say that collections would be kept in the dungeons without full open discussion... All we are saying is give honest collectors a chance to pick up a bargain before it is either discussed in A) the post-auctions thread, or hopefully B) the latest acquisitions thread.
  • In response to Charlie, I still don't agree with the practice, but it is totally different to out a $1200 poster because it is out of your price range at $1000 -- than for instance to out a $4-5K poster at $1K because it is out of your price range (for those who don't know, the current discussion stemmed from Mel posting an in progress auction for a 'hand' Goldfinger quad in the Bond thread).  See point 3.
  • For all of you, if you see something that you think another collector would like... tell them about it over PM.  But also let them know that if they aren't interested in it that they should pass it on to someone they think would be interested in it.  Believe me, it will eventually get to the right person.
  • If you follow the above, there is really no reason to ever use the mid-auctions thread unless you are fantasy poster-gasming about a Frankie teaste at HA or whatever.
  • Of course, if *you* are the seller, this all changes and you should of course promote your auction in all appropriate places to increase your potential sale price... but that isn't what we are talking about here.

I think that about covers my thoughts on the topic...

Bruce

« Reply #1230 on: October 13, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
Obviously SOME people do like this topic, because it is not very far behind the Post Auction topic (in views or replies) even though it was started much later on.

Bruce

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1231 on: October 13, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »

Why would you NOT check it?  I mean it is a heads up on posters you may not have noticed before the auction ends.  This is great for you Bruce and the sellers, but not for the buyers who have already spotted the auction.  This thread does nothing more than create an alert to attract more attention to poster auctions.

Additionally Bruce, it acts as another reference point for you to glean more information for promotional purposes.  And, it also gives you a heads up on mislisted items which helps to protect your reputation for accurate sales.  In essence this thread is like your 30th employee at times.

This thread's useful information would be just as spectacular in a post auction thread:

Holiday:  I just scored this set of rare posters, I can't believe the deal I got.  Check them out on my updated website!  ;D

VS.

Dale: Hey, my auction got pulled because the seller broke his contract with Bruce and pulled the items.   :'(

Brian

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1232 on: October 13, 2011, 11:25:34 AM »
I agree with with every point Matt.

This one sums up how I feel about it better than I did or could.
  • At the same time, I agree with Holiday/T's decision not to censor the forum -- so Mel is definitely within his rights as a forum member to post these mid-auction items -- However, it is also my right to disagree the practice each and every time he does it, even if we've had the conversation before.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1233 on: October 13, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
Excellent summary, Dr. Caul.  I had to edit my post because I couldn't condense my essay on a highly contentious topic such as this into a quick post.  Good job with the bullet points.  thumbup

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1234 on: October 13, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »
  • For all of you, if you see something that you think another collector would like... tell them about it over PM.  But also let them know that if they aren't interested in it that they should pass it on to someone they think would be interested in it.  Believe me, it will eventually get to the right person.

I very rarely check this thread, because it makes absolutely no point to me.  I'm after the better deal, but once it is posted on a public forum, it instantly dies.  So I'm not going to go through the agony of seeing something I want knowing that everybody knows about it.  Matt has been extremely generous over time in passing auctions to me in private, which is how I like it.  This thread is essentially a dealer thread.  If you don't want to overpay on an item, stay out of it.

T
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:41:46 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1235 on: October 13, 2011, 11:47:08 AM »
Well said Matt, Zorba And T, 

I very rarely even look in the mid auction thread, never mind post. As T says I don't want every lurker or forum member in on my deals, otherwise it would cost me more money, or I would lose the poster. I may have bid on the Hand Quad up to $1500, but not now thanks for Fucking that up Mel....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1236 on: October 13, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write out and edit your thoughtful points Harry. Basically everything I agree with and have been saying, but put in more patient and descriptive tones. Again, I agree with everything Mr. Caul says.

The point of the Goldfinger outing at the time Mel chose to do so is there is no point. The same discussion could have been had after it had ended. What is the rush? Why post it now? For what purpose? It's just thoughtless and careless, bottom line.

Also, you guys do know that guests far outweigh regular participating members, so odds are that some 'guest' will benefit from senseless outings anyway.  Just so inane on every level.

And Bruce, if your rationalization lies within the number of views, you should start your next topic with any combination of: Free Posters, eMovie 30% off coupon, I hate Dave, Boobs, bigger Boobs, and so on. The mice across the poster world would be a'clickin. Ultimately, this is 'eMovie Ad Thread Incognito' more times than not, which is what your initial purpose was.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:02:34 PM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Bruce

« Reply #1237 on: October 13, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »
As I said around 25,000 views ago, if it offends people, delete the entire thread.  sm1

And we "only" have 25 employees, so this thread is the unofficial 26th. And why am I (other than Rich) the only person who auctions posters who contributes here in a non-selling way?

Bruce
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:01:17 PM by Bruce »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1238 on: October 13, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »
As I said around 25,000 views ago, if it offends people, delete the entire thread.  sm1

And we "only" have 25 employees, so this thread is the unofficial 26th. And why am I (other than Rich) the only person who auctions posters who contributes here in a non-selling way?

Bruce

Bruce, as I stated above there is a fundamental difference between you posting here as a seller and other buyers posting here.  I don't think anyone would argue against you promoting your auctions so long as it is in the appropriate threads.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1239 on: October 13, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »

Bruce

Bruce, I am cool with you.  I believe that this thread should not be deleted nor censored. I cannot help but check it since I am not always hip to what the hottest poster is up for auction.  But the down side to that, is that it draws more attention to posters targeted by members.

And I appreciate you and Rich for all your posts. Though I must admit, Rich gave me a free Pulp Fiction poster which trumped your catalogs.  ;D  

I am enjoying your rolled poster auction, and look forward to tonight's showdown.  

Brian
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:54:51 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1240 on: October 13, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »

Oh, and Kate has helped with the number of views.   qip

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1241 on: October 13, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »
From the perspective of a guy who's item just got posted in this thread (I was HemorrhoidHead by the way), I kind of agree with Matt.  Just because the item does not interest you or it is what you would call "expensive" does not mean you are the only one that feels that way.  Out of courtesy for others, I tend to avoid posting active auctions.  I figure that there is as good a chance I will cost someone money as help someone save some.  But I also understand that anyone is well within their right to post them if they want to.  In my particular case listed above, I don't really think it cost me much if anything.  I think Dave was going to take his shot regardless (thanks Dave).
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1242 on: October 13, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
From the perspective of a guy who's item just got posted in this thread (I was HemorrhoidHead by the way), I kind of agree with Matt.  Just because the item does not interest you or it is what you would call "expensive" does not mean you are the only one that feels that way.  Out of courtesy for others, I tend to avoid posting active auctions.  I figure that there is as good a chance I will cost someone money as help someone save some.  But I also understand that anyone is well within their right to post them if they want to.  In my particular case listed above, I don't really think it cost me much if anything.  I think Dave was going to take his shot regardless (thanks Dave).

Agree with this...outing something just because it is out of your price range but not outing something you stumbled upon which you know someone else will want is hypocritical.  If you are going to out, out em all...i think everyone appreciates that the high traffic sites are fair game, but as someone else stated ebay auctions are a different kettle of fish.
Ves

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1243 on: October 13, 2011, 04:26:27 PM »
Congrats on that awesome one sheet, Schan.  There was another bidder, Outpost31, at the end of the auction for that one.   That is an epic piece.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1244 on: October 13, 2011, 04:29:12 PM »
Congrats on that awesome one sheet, Schan.  There was another bidder, Outpost31, at the end of the auction for that one.   That is an epic piece.

Thanks!  I did not mention that other guy because I don't know whether his bid was a result of this thread or not.  Dave's most likely was not.  I am think that guy's was just a grudge bid, but he chicken when it hit $1000.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1245 on: October 13, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »
I wouldn't consider it a "grudge bid."  Various things about that piece really increase the cool factor for it IMO.  The last (and only) one emovieposter sold was 7 years ago, and it seems logical to me that with the increase in popularity for the paper and the film that it could be even longer before another one like that appears for sale again.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1246 on: October 13, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
You might be right.  Either way, it didn't increase the hammer price by very much percentage wise.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1247 on: October 13, 2011, 06:03:07 PM »
I think everyone who brings a mid auction item to the attention of the poster community should also bring to attention an auction they themselves are currently bidding on, better still, being of equivalent value...
I am bidding in a few days on an item certain to go over Mels $ threshhold and I would be gutted if it appeared on this forum. It has been years since it has appeared for sale anywhere in any condition and probably never seen for sale in this pristine condition.
I think only high profile, key auction items may be mentioned eg a frankie or metropolis at Heritage

we've been over this discussion once before.. with lots of acrimony.
ain't happening Mathias..
although I rarely expose an auction for anyone, I will post something I have no interest in that I know people on this forum are. If you want to out every Raymond Chandler auction item that comes up.. go ahead.. it doesn't bother me. If I win it or lose it, I'm not losing sleep over it in any case

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1248 on: October 13, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »
 And I appreciate you and Rich for all your posts. Though I must admit, Rich gave me a free Pulp Fiction poster which trumped your catalogs.  ;D  

laugh1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1249 on: October 13, 2011, 06:13:15 PM »
why am I (other than Rich) the only person who auctions posters who contributes here in a non-selling way?

bruce.. I can actually answer this for my part:

I have no life.. all I do is wake up, work on auctions, eat, poop, work on auctions, eat, poop, work on auctions, watch some TV (yet still while working on auctions), work on my other business ventures, eat, poop and go to sleep

in between I play some online poker and post to forums so I don't seem to be an automaton and of course, once in a while I take a shower

ps. I also do some bidding buying posters for my collection

-------