Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2217640 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1200 on: October 10, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
What pasta?

Thank you again, Esquire!  happy1

laugh1 Now I understand the pasta reference... doh! There it is!

Bruce

« Reply #1201 on: October 10, 2011, 08:21:37 PM »
I guarantee you these won't be sold anytime soon. The consignor is a guy just like Mark who LOVES extreme rarities of posters of the past 50 years. He says he sent them by accident (they were rolled in with much lesser posters) and whether or not that was true, he won't be offering them for sale anywhere (maybe when he offers his entire collection).

But given how so many here thought the 20 or less was ridiculous, how about someone finding even ONE set for sale or auction?

Bruce

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1202 on: October 10, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
But given how so many here thought the 20 or less was ridiculous, how about someone finding even ONE set for sale or auction?

Bruce

Maybe your right Bruce, but I do know of another set that I prefer more.... ;D

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1203 on: October 10, 2011, 11:17:13 PM »
Anyway, many of the experts here seem to think there are tons of these out there, so maybe some of them can find a set for you.

Bruce

Where did you pull that from?  I was arguing that the 20 figure seemed very arbitrary and that either many more were produced (and subsequently destroyed after the date change) or that far fewer were produced to begin with.  Either way, this simple fact that haven't popped up tells you that not many are around.

I was suggesting that throwing around a rumored actual number was a used car sales technique of Dave L. proportions.  That, and whatever EXPERT you have doing your auctions might need a refresher course on wilding posters...

As for the purpose of this thread - the Fight Club discussion is a perfect example of some valuable information coming to light, although it can be hard to make out between all of these silly gifs derailing the actual discussion, but usually it's just an excuse for Bruce to pimp his auctions other than in the sales or dealer threads.

BTW, the Fight Club/Suncoast issue is one well worth bringing up again...  I was under the impression that Suncoast reprinted their own posters, SS and slightly smaller than originals (I know they sold 27x40 Star Wars A & C's, but more recent reprints were closer in size to the originals).  If that's the case, then there would have been a second printing of the FC wildings, as Mark's info suggests, sometime just after the time of release.  Suncoast passed through several hands and bankruptcy in '05 and '06 and I could certainly see them liquidating old stock at some point, which could account for the second wave hitting around that time.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1204 on: October 11, 2011, 12:49:31 AM »

BTW the Mad Max UK one sheet is now at $500, the highest price ever at a consignment auction for a Mad Max poster:

And Mr. HemorrhoidHead wants it badly...  whip
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1205 on: October 11, 2011, 01:41:54 AM »
I don't begrudge this thread at all.  A lot of learning was done and that's the point.  There's so many damned posters out there that  missing the op to buy this set really is like giving a tic tac to a whale -  it really doesn't mean anything.

Well put.

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #1206 on: October 11, 2011, 09:49:17 AM »
I guarantee you these won't be sold anytime soon. The consignor is a guy just like Mark who LOVES extreme rarities of posters of the past 50 years. He says he sent them by accident (they were rolled in with much lesser posters) and whether or not that was true, he won't be offering them for sale anywhere (maybe when he offers his entire collection).

Bruce

I remember seeing these on ebay many years ago and the seller stated then that there were about 5 copies printed and they were made to show the Studio execs. I don't know if that's the truth but that was his story.

Bruce

« Reply #1207 on: October 11, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
"BTW the Mad Max UK one sheet is now at $500, the highest price ever at a consignment auction for a Mad Max poster"

Hey Mel, if you thought $500 was a super-high price, what do you think about the current price? And look at who is the underbidder!

Bruce

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1208 on: October 11, 2011, 11:19:53 AM »
"BTW the Mad Max UK one sheet is now at $500, the highest price ever at a consignment auction for a Mad Max poster"

Hey Mel, if you thought $500 was a super-high price, what do you think about the current price? And look at who is the underbidder!

Bruce

I told it already... HemorrhoidHead wants it BADLY  whip
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1209 on: October 11, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
although it can be hard to make out between all of these silly gifs derailing the actual discussion...

Oh boo-fucking-hoo, Beethoven.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1210 on: October 11, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »

Bruce

Posers and minor-leaguers. The real money will show up at the end....

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1211 on: October 11, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »

Bruce

maybe Dave is pissed and wants to winner to have a hemmoroid

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #1212 on: October 11, 2011, 01:33:26 PM »
in my humble opinion the Quad rules over the one sheet!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1213 on: October 11, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
Bruce, why do you dismiss Archie's questions? I think they are fair ones to ask.

You started this whole thread all the while understanding the odds being stacked in your favor of an eMovie paper being discussed in the first place (read: more advertising).

I don't understand why you want us to check out your exceedingly long sales info entries week after week, but disregard honest questions when they are brought up.

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1214 on: October 11, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
Oh boo-fucking-hoo, Beethoven.

petty...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1215 on: October 11, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
British one-sheets apparently is a smokin hot market right now is all I can say.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1216 on: October 11, 2011, 09:22:49 PM »
So it sold for $1,012.  I'd give the edge to the one sheet for this design, although it's not a blowout:

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1217 on: October 11, 2011, 09:25:39 PM »
It's a vertical image - I think it looks much better in one sheet format.

Mark

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1218 on: October 11, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »
So it sold for $1,012

I wonder what happened to the real money.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1219 on: October 12, 2011, 12:49:28 AM »
petty...

Actually, pretty funny.  What was really funny is commenting about the gif's when for awhile there you were using a bear and a cumshot as your avatar.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1220 on: October 12, 2011, 01:32:51 AM »
Actually, pretty funny.  What was really funny is commenting about the gif's when for awhile there you were using a bear and a cumshot as your avatar.

Oh THAT's what that was  eyeroll
Chris

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1221 on: October 12, 2011, 03:24:40 AM »

Actually, considering that he threatened to delete my post from 'his' thread before having it suggested to him to lighten up, and then immediately gif bombed this thread when an actual discussion broke out, I think that would qualify as being rather petty...

I don't give a shit about the gifs, but posting (and re-posting) a bunch of the same ones does nothing to help the discussion.

And it was a squirt bottle - you made it dirty all on your own....

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1222 on: October 12, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »

And it was a squirt bottle - you made it dirty all on your own....

Was it really?  That's amazing. I really thought....

I guess the gif's didn't bother me so much because of the subject matter.  I could look at that all day long.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1223 on: October 12, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
I don't begrudge this thread at all.  A lot of learning was done and that's the point.  There's so many damned posters out there that  missing the op to buy this set really is like giving a tic tac to a whale -  it really doesn't mean anything.

Well put.

I am pretty sure most of us do appreciate the actual freedom of speech that is allowed on this forum and that that freedom it is allowed equally for all.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1224 on: October 13, 2011, 02:04:16 AM »
As you know that issue has been debated many many times on this board and there's never been a consensus.  Once it hits $1,000, it's fair game for public discussion in my book. There are very few APF members who are playing at that level.  This particular one was not going to slip "through the cracks."

Just because you don't agree with everyone else doesn't mean there wasn't a consensus  ;)

Seriously though, its easy to dismiss it as 'fair game' when you aren't bidding.  The price of the poster shouldn't matter... we all collect in different price ranges.  Most of us know your collecting habits Mel and I doubt many people have 'outted' under-priced posters here... in fact I've even sent you links on occasion (exclusively I might add) hoping to help you get a deal.  There are definitely plenty of Bond collectors here on APF so it is just a common courtesy. 

And don't be so quick to assume that even high priced posters won't fall through the cracks...  I know I've found some killer bargains on eBay (that luckily weren't discussed on APF), even at $1K+. 

I think everyone who brings a mid auction item to the attention of the poster community should also bring to attention an auction they themselves are currently bidding on, better still, being of equivalent value...

I am bidding in a few days on an item certain to go over Mels $ threshhold and I would be gutted if it appeared on this forum. It has been years since it has appeared for sale anywhere in any condition and probably never seen for sale in this pristine condition.

I think only high profile, key auction items may be mentioned eg a frankie or metropolis at Heritage