Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203709 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1125 on: October 05, 2011, 12:00:45 AM »
Oooooo you're in truuuubllllllleee!

my wife just did a mid auction analysis for me.  it went like this.......

"you bid how much on that???  you better f'n hope no one else wants it just a little less than you do."
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1126 on: October 05, 2011, 12:47:01 AM »
Oooooo you're in truuuubllllllleee!

Nah, she knows that I wont overpay for something.  She also knows that I do not buy much these days, and what I do buy does not exactly show up every week at auction.  She just likes to harass me sometimes.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1127 on: October 05, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
my wife just did a mid auction analysis for me.  it went like this.......

"you bid how much on that???  you better f'n hope no one else wants it just a little less than you do."

laugh1

That is the story of my poster buying life.  8)

Charlie

« Reply #1128 on: October 05, 2011, 09:23:49 PM »
Man never show your cards until the auction is over.  I have more than once used the "I was just bidding and didn't think I would have won it.  It should have gone for more. I messed up, sorrrryyy..."  Never an issue after it is too late...   ;D

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1129 on: October 07, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
These Canadian posters appear in Bruce's Thursday auction. They are an advance set, created and intended for in-house use only, for a Christmas 2001 release - however, the film was not released until Christmas 2002. The posters are exceptionally rare - less than 20 copies of each style were supposedly printed.

Mark

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1130 on: October 07, 2011, 02:27:40 PM »
They are very cool...Id love to have em but they will be way out of my price range.  :-[

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1131 on: October 07, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
These Canadian posters appear in Bruce's Thursday auction. They are an advance set, created and intended for in-house use only, for a Christmas 2001 release - however, the film was not released until Christmas 2002. The posters are exceptionally rare - less than 20 copies of each style were supposedly printed.

Mark

So do you already own these Mark?  Or by posting them here are you in effect peeing on them to mark your territory!  ;D

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1132 on: October 07, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
I already have a set so will not be bidding. These are beautiful, high quality posters - they have a plasticised finish so you probably could pee on them without long term damage if you so wished.

Mark

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1133 on: October 07, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »
Mark clearly has ulterior motives - just wants to drive the price up on these, thereby in theory increasing the value of his set ;)
Chris

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1134 on: October 07, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »
No, just providing a bit more information on them than Bruce did. I'd be bidding on them if I wanted to drive the price up.

Mark

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1135 on: October 07, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
No, just providing a bit more information on them than Bruce did. I'd be bidding on them if I wanted to drive the price up.

Mark

I was being facetious Mark.  You should e-mail Bruce directly with the info (if you haven't done so) so he can update the auction.
Chris

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1136 on: October 07, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »
I know - I don't know how to choose the right smileys! And Bruce has now updated his descriptions.

Mark

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1137 on: October 07, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »
I know - I don't know how to choose the right smileys! And Bruce has now updated his descriptions.

Mark

thumbup
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #1138 on: October 07, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »
Thanks very much Mark. We very much rely on experts like yourself (and there are well over 50 people who regularly help us) to keep our auctions the most accurate of any major auction.

Bruce

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1139 on: October 07, 2011, 07:50:31 PM »

The real question is: where did you get that information?

From you description it sounds like they were more likely to be used for outdoors (Plastic finish) and not in-house.  They may have become 'in-house' only once they changed the release date.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1140 on: October 07, 2011, 07:51:53 PM »

Just what I was thinking...
Ves

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1141 on: October 07, 2011, 08:18:35 PM »

From you description it sounds like they were more likely to be used for outdoors (Plastic finish) and not in-house.  They may have become 'in-house' only once they changed the release date.

From Jason Carter of Love Canadian Film. It is evident from handling these thick posters that they are a high quality (expensive?) printing which were intended to impress.

Mark

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1142 on: October 07, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
I'm sure they look nice, but Advance Character posters with company and website info?  Heavy duty plastic laminate? These lead me to believe that they were not meant for 'in-house' use.  At least, not initially.  Heavy plastic laminate is usually used for posters that will be exposed to the elements (Outdoor).  High-gloss is usually meant to impress.  Unless, they were for some trade show or large event (where one-offs would have more likely been used), something just doesn't sound right with the info....

Recently, Focus Features used ink printed onto thin 100% plastic 'paper' for review one-sheets for The American and Jane Eyre, but this may have been because of an extreme amount of very small text.

Also, Bruce's Aladdin Genie teaser is a wilding poster... so are the Fight Club teasers... and I'm pretty sure the Gattaca is a wilding... really Bruce?  It's a good thing that you have 50+ people 'correcting' your 'expertise'.  How much do you pay for their service?

Posting Mark's unsupported comment verbatim on the auction listing is something DaveMasterpieces would do... a cheap (cheaper than usual) sale tactic...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:17:38 PM by archie leach »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1143 on: October 07, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »
BTW & FYI, anyone looking at the Fight Club should be aware that after the initial wilding posters started going for relatively big bucks on eBay (a few years after release) a 'second wave' of wilding poster sets popped up on ebay from questionable sellers.  It was also reported to MPT that the second wave was on different paper from the original wildings.

Do with that as you will...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1144 on: October 08, 2011, 12:13:57 AM »
I already have a set so will not be bidding. These are beautiful, high quality posters - they have a plasticised finish so you probably could pee on them without long term damage if you so wished.

Mark

I figured that must be the case!  Thanks for the added info.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1145 on: October 08, 2011, 12:57:15 AM »
BTW & FYI, anyone looking at the Fight Club should be aware that after the initial wilding posters started going for relatively big bucks on eBay (a few years after release) a 'second wave' of wilding poster sets popped up on ebay from questionable sellers.  It was also reported to MPT that the second wave was on different paper from the original wildings.

Do with that as you will...

I wish I had a basis to compare.  I've had a set for years, and nothing stands out as far as the printing.  Do you know of anyone who has handled them first hand to compare?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1146 on: October 08, 2011, 02:48:45 AM »
Yes, the person on MPT (who was a regular poster, not some fly-by-nighter) had an original set (even sold off a few extras if I remember correctly) and then later picked up a 'new' set when the cheap second wave hit.  He remembered noticing that the new set was on different paper (spongier, I believe) than the originals, but didn't have time for a deeper comparison.  Which was and is a little frustrating...

I have two that I bought individually from highly trustable sources long before the 'second wave'.  What I don't have is any of the 'second wave' to compare.  Even if I did, right now the originals are 3000 miles away, so it would be tough.

BTW, aren't those Open Range posters that Bruce has listed also wilding posters?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:51:35 AM by archie leach »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1147 on: October 08, 2011, 02:57:42 AM »
Also, I look forward to the day when peeing on a poster becomes the de facto authenticity test...

Good times...  :)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1148 on: October 08, 2011, 02:58:19 AM »
BTW, aren't those Open Range posters that Bruce has listed also wilding posters?

Not sure......there was a quad that used that campaign though, with all 3 characters on the same piece of paper.  Beats the heck out of 3 separate one sheets, IMO.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1149 on: October 08, 2011, 07:19:31 AM »
Archie - I've given you a source for the information as you requested. Jason was a guy who had an encyclopedic knowledge and massive collection of Canadian film posters and if I do not qualify as a "knowledgeable collector" he most certainly would. This hobby is largely based on opinions, more so with rare and unusual posters and prospective purchasers can choose to be influenced by Bruce's addendums or not. I welcome the responsive way in which Bruce provides additional information during the course of his auctions but I do not think he should refer to this having been provided by "advanced collectors" or "experts". Unless the changes are technically obvious or he quotes the name of an undoubted source I think he should just say "the following opinion has been received". I do have the additional advantage in this case of being able to inspect the posters and I simply cannot imagine them having being printed for external use. I think your suggestion that they were for a trade show or similar is more plausible.

Fight Club. I have an original set bought at the time of the film's release and sets from the "second wave" - I forget when these first appeared. The only difference I can ascertain is that the original set is 3/4" wider (they are both the same height). The quality of printing and the paper stock appears to be the same. Could these not just be from a second print run rather than reproductions?

Mark