Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203905 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1075 on: September 01, 2011, 11:51:51 PM »
Nice.  I could never afford any of that art back in the day but bought nearly all of the box sets that Russ Cochran came out with.  Great stuff.

and then there's this:
http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=6069&lotNo=30020&lotIdNo=11031&ts=off#Photo

I had some of those.......

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1076 on: September 02, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »
I normally don't post in this thread... but wow, $83 with 5 days still left to go!  http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2289484

I bought mine directly from Matias (forum member '110x75' from Argentina) a while back for a fraction of that price!  Then again, it doesn't surprise me... its a great poster.  Possibly the best one for that film, IMO. 

Sorry Matias, I'm sure you'll get a flood of requests because of this post... I just hope you have some more in stock!

I thought the same... wow! Looks like you got a bargain ;D
This sort of demonstrates that a foreign poster with different art -for a cultish film- can bring good prices, unlike ones with the same art than their country of origin counterparts (for example the inglourious basterds one with the same art of the US international 1sh...)
And that price surely has to do too with the amount of collectors that follow Bruce`s auctions...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1077 on: September 04, 2011, 07:35:44 PM »
Who here feels comfortable bidding on linen-backed Uni horror in 2 AH (Year 2, After Haggard)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190573223801&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_7380wt_1163

Bruce

« Reply #1078 on: September 04, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
They posted this:

"I have had a few emails asking about where and how I aquired this poster. So here is the story. The person I bought this from, purchased it 22 years ago from an estate of a collector after he passed away. The estate had told them that the original collector aquired this poster in the 1970's. The collector had 100's of assorted movie posters and movie memorabillia. They bought everything from the estate and sold off all of the items except for this poster. They took this poster to a proffesional restorer to have it linen backed for preservation. Unfortunatley they could not remember the name of the restorer. This was the last item left from the original collection and they only decided to sell it because they needed money. Hope that helps. Good luck! bruce "

So they know everything that proves it authentic, EXCEPT the single bit of info that could actually prove it, namely who the restorer was.

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1079 on: September 04, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »
Who here feels comfortable bidding on linen-backed Uni horror in 2 AH (Year 2, After Haggard)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190573223801&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_7380wt_1163

Very interesting and a total beauty if authentic!
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1080 on: September 04, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »
earlier today I sent him a message asking if he would be willing to send the poster to MPG for authentication BEFORE I would pay for the winning bid

I got no response, although other people got the same response as Bruce

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1081 on: September 04, 2011, 08:49:11 PM »
earlier today I sent him a message asking if he would be willing to send the poster to MPG for authentication BEFORE I would pay for the winning bid

I got no response, although other people got the same response as Bruce

Yup, this is the only way I would do it.  In fact, that is what I requested with the recent Clockwork Orange poster as well and that seller, to his credit, offered to have it sent directly to MPGrading and I would only pay *after* it was authenticated!  This seller's credibility remains to be seen...

Bruce/Rich, am I correct that there are an untold number of forgeries still floating around?  And I think I even read that his wife was busted selling fakes while Haggard was still being indicted -- she was trying to raise money for his defense no less!  It seems like this issue is going to plague the hobby for decades as these things float around...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1082 on: September 04, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »
Bruce/Rich, am I correct that there are an untold number of forgeries still floating around?  And I think I even read that his wife was busted selling fakes while Haggard was still being indicted -- she was trying to raise money for his defense no less!  It seems like this issue is going to plague the hobby for decades as these things float around...

1st, he responded: Hello Rich -Yes I will send it for authentication. good luck! bruce - littlemarz

2nd.. we have no doubt there are still forgeries extant and will be for a number of years as they weed out of collection in auto collecting circles as well as poster circles (Haggard sold auto collectibles for 20 years and we certainy believe he traded posters for cars and the like)

-------

Der Januskopf

« Reply #1083 on: September 04, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »
What would be interesting to know, too, is when this was backed. The note at the bottom of the auction page mentions nothing, so if it had been backed in the last several years, it could be a "Haggard original." The fact that the name of the restorer has been forgotten seems a bit of a red flag. Even if the name couldnt be remembered (?).. certainly the city and state of where it was done would be of some help.

It looks to be in great shape and the colors are vibrant, that's for sure. Not a hint of a fold line shows (at least in the images) and it is interesting that the seller comments on them, saying that they can be felt and seen, if one looks close enough.

With 6 days to go and the bidding at 1550.00, it will be interesting to see where it tops out.

Kerry

Der Januskopf

« Reply #1084 on: September 04, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
Speaking of Universal fakes --- would/could this title be suspect, too? Or is this too far down the popularity ladder, to have possibly been forged?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INVISIBLE-MAN-S-REVENGE-1-SHEET-POSTER-LINEN-/260844890225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3cbb912871

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:25:10 PM by Der Januskopf »

Bruce

« Reply #1085 on: September 04, 2011, 10:24:57 PM »
This is going to be resolved (depending on where he sends it):

"Since I have had so many inquires about the authentication of this poster, I am going to cancel this auction, have the poster authenticated, then relist. thanks, bruce "

Bruce

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1086 on: September 04, 2011, 10:52:51 PM »
This is going to be resolved (depending on where he sends it):

"Since I have had so many inquires about the authentication of this poster, I am going to cancel this auction, have the poster authenticated, then relist. thanks, bruce "

Bruce

MY QUERY TO HIM INCLUDED A LINK TO MPG

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1087 on: September 06, 2011, 06:39:09 PM »
Chris

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #1088 on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:59 PM »
This guy is trying VERY hard to do everything he can to ignore the obvious (and advice from many others).  Someone is going to be mighty disappointed paying for these!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1933-DUCK-SOUP-MOVIE-POSTER-ORIGINAL-MARX-BROS-/250884195468?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a69dd048c
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1929-COCOANUTS-MOVIE-POSTER-MARX-BROS-ORIG-/250884568917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a69e2b755

That's pretty funny that he has the blacklight test totally backwards (it's the new paper that "aluminates" and helps give away the fact it's a repro)
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #1089 on: September 06, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »
Speaking of Universal fakes --- would/could this title be suspect, too? Or is this too far down the popularity ladder, to have possibly been forged?

Haggard did not make any fakes of this particular poster (Invisible Man's Revenge).
There is always the possibility that someone else has made one since, but think that is a much more remote chance and would feel fairly safe bidding on this - except for the fact that it is priced at about 10X fair market value.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Bruce

« Reply #1090 on: September 06, 2011, 07:03:57 PM »
Those Marx Bros repros have fooled many amateurs over the years, although many recognize the heavier stock as "wrong" for a 1930s one-sheet. The "expert" from Antiques Roadshow "authenticated" the Duck Soup repro as a $10,000 Thirty By Forty original!

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1091 on: September 06, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »
Have you seen these cardstock Marx Bros posters before Bruce?  I came to this thread to post these and was (not so) surprised to find them already being discussed!

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #1092 on: September 06, 2011, 08:10:44 PM »
I've been having an email conversation with this guy all day (Marx Bros. posters). He has a lot of his "facts" wrong but I think he may be seeing the light (at least I hope so).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:11:21 PM by CineMasterpieces »

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #1093 on: September 06, 2011, 09:18:17 PM »

Just got another email from him, it doesn't look like he is seeing the light. Oh well, I tried. I gave him a link to this board so he could read it and see for himself.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1094 on: September 06, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »
Showed a guy a couple of Italian 4F's I have and he reveals he has a $50K very large color scanner and now wants to go into business with me reproducing them and selling them on ebay. I said, um,... I'll think about it... (not)

Bruce

« Reply #1095 on: September 06, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »
I have only seen the Duck Soup. There were a lot of those. I did not know that the person who did that did any others, so I am not sure what the other is, but it is NOT an original poster.

Of course this guy doesn't want to "see the light". It is like telling him there is no Santa Claus.

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1096 on: September 06, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »
He'd probably see the light more easily if (uninformed) bidders had not run them up to over $300 and over $600 respectively!
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1097 on: September 06, 2011, 10:40:05 PM »
Just got another email from him, it doesn't look like he is seeing the light. Oh well, I tried. I gave him a link to this board so he could read it and see for himself.

you're asking him to let go of $1000 in bids.. not too many people will do that

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1098 on: September 06, 2011, 11:27:50 PM »
Showed a guy a couple of Italian 4F's I have and he reveals he has a $50K very large color scanner and now wants to go into business with me reproducing them and selling them on ebay. I said, um,... I'll think about it... (not)

There's one in every crowd, isn't there?
Good for you, Steve. 
Tell him to go suck hind teat....

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #1099 on: September 07, 2011, 09:52:53 AM »

The marx bros guys name is jason judd. He knows they are not real, and he doesn't care. He is a criminal. Sometimes sellers are really clueless and want to do the right thing so I generally give them the benefit of the doubt. That is NOT the case here.

here is one of the messages he sent:

"like I said not worried about the truth but I have a good feeling is that you dont even have a clue if this is real or not. Like i told you on last text I've been in contact with some one and if i find out thats its real im going to a different market. Just perhaps if it ever did turn out the posters are fake how much would the posters be worth."

so, if he finds out they are real he will remove them from ebay and try and get a better price elsewhere, probably an auction house. Funny thing is that I told him to contact Heritage, Bruce, LAMP, and MPGrading for their opinions, but he refuses.