Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203646 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #950 on: June 23, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »
And Bruce, many if not most of the auctions you have bring more $ to a given piece then they are probably worth, but thanks for pointing out the Dragon's Lair.

So, I must ask...
How do you determine what something is worth, if the existing auction databases are skewed too high?

Retail prices from major sellers always seem to be even higher, as are buy it now items on ebay.  Are we talking the price you get from selling to a dealer or consigning to an auction?  If so, there is always a gap.

By definition, any item you just bought is worth more TO YOU than to anyone else.  Unless you can widen your potential audience you will lose money on the resale.  By the same logic, any auction you lose ended up overpriced.
-Jay-

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #951 on: June 23, 2011, 03:30:20 PM »
So, I must ask...
How do you determine what something is worth, if the existing auction databases are skewed too high?

Retail prices from major sellers always seem to be even higher, as are buy it now items on ebay.  Are we talking the price you get from selling to a dealer or consigning to an auction?  If so, there is always a gap.

By definition, any item you just bought is worth more TO YOU than to anyone else.  Unless you can widen your potential audience you will lose money on the resale.  By the same logic, any auction you lose ended up overpriced.

Fair questions and points.

'Value' is always what a particular poster is worth to a particular person in terms of how much it sold for, anywhere....but more broadly an estimated price after all recent sales including ebay is taken into consideration. There is no real math behind it. However, many posters (most, not counting stuff you never really see more than once or twice in a lifetime) will always go for more in auction houses such as eMovie, HA, etc.

The comment to Bruce is more to point out that he gets more on a Dragon's Lair poster than Joe Schmoe would on ebay, craigslist, etc...because he is eBruce, which is THE point, not what Dragon's Lair is 'worth'. Good for Bruce to be sure, but when he sells Indy Last Crusade posters for over $100 if not much more a pop when they go for pennies on the dollar on ebay, they sure as heck aren't worth what Bruce gets, except to that particular buyer for whatever reason, the experience and trust with eMovie, ignorance, laziness, whatever.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #952 on: June 23, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »
I hear the high bidder on the Dragons Lair poster had plenty of money laying around  ;), but he still needs to quit bidding on stuff with my name on it too.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:32:16 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #954 on: June 23, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »
I agree its not so simple.

Seems to me that much of it depends on what day it is or who is bidding that day. I have seen a poster on emovie go for $40 so I get my hopes up thinking I can get it the next time it comes up only to see it go for over $200.  eyeroll.....Luck of the draw. Right place right time and all that.

Most of the time emovie gets more for more popular posters. My favorite example is a crazy Matrix bidding war I remember sitting back and enjoying from the safety of my pc chair...Scared the hell out of my newbness  :P
At the same time I have gotten some for less than I have seen them go for on ebay. ...and I am talking about auctions not BINs.

Though I have yet to buy anything with the thought of what I could sell it for so Im more of a loon "I buy it cause I think its cool" type collector than the investor type buyer who shits a brick every time he sees a poster sell for less than what he paid for it.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #955 on: June 23, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
 ;D
To quote the seller.."Very few made and very few survived. MUCH RARER than the Mylar poster one-sheet; probably about 10X rarer. This is a really nice! "

10X rarer is probably just the same as 1 Louder...

Stew
Probably

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #956 on: June 23, 2011, 05:24:34 PM »
I agree its not so simple.

Seems to me that much of it depends on what day it is or who is bidding that day. I have seen a poster on emovie go for $40 so I get my hopes up thinking I can get it the next time it comes up only to see it go for over $200.  eyeroll.....Luck of the draw. Right place right time and all that.

Yep.  Also, we tend to remember and comment when auction bidding goes bat-shit crazy, but not so much when an item sits there like a 3 day old fish.  If nothing else, we are all hoping nobody will notice so we can pick it up.
-Jay-

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #957 on: June 23, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »
Bruce has a shitload of awesome posters up for the new Thursday night auction.  I was really taken by the fact that with all those beautiful pieces of paper, why the hell we bother buying the newly minted crapola that comes off the presses of Mondo and the like?  I mean, really.  I'm just saying....

It's not like anyone is going to miss it, so I have to ask : does anyone have more information on the Matrix Reloaded poster that's up?  I have to say, I'm pretty stymied.  Of all people I'm directing this question to, it's probably most directed at marklawd, the master of the obscure/rare/collectible poster.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #958 on: June 24, 2011, 08:37:55 PM »
I don't know much at all about Matrix posters but it seems evident to me this poster is just an art print with no theatrical purpose.

Mark

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #959 on: June 24, 2011, 08:52:50 PM »
I don't know much at all about Matrix posters but it seems evident to me this poster is just an art print with no theatrical purpose.

Mark

I guess what throws me is that it's an art print sized at 27x40.  It's an odd size for a print, unless, of course, the intent was for it to be a print akin to a movie poster.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Bruce

« Reply #961 on: June 26, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »
"Bruce has a shitload of awesome posters up for the new Thursday night auction.  I was really taken by the fact that with all those beautiful pieces of paper, why the hell we bother buying the newly minted crapola that comes off the presses of Mondo and the like?  I mean, really.  I'm just saying"

I wish some of the people in love with Roadhouse/Mondo posters would look the above posters over and see just how much further their money can go, and they can get items where there are likely only a few dozen at most in collectors' hands.

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #962 on: June 26, 2011, 04:49:05 PM »
"Bruce has a shitload of awesome posters up for the new Thursday night auction.  I was really taken by the fact that with all those beautiful pieces of paper, why the hell we bother buying the newly minted crapola that comes off the presses of Mondo and the like?  I mean, really.  I'm just saying"

I wish some of the people in love with Roadhouse/Mondo posters would look the above posters over and see just how much further their money can go, and they can get items where there are likely only a few dozen at most in collectors' hands.

Bruce

no kidding

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #963 on: June 26, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »

Bruce

Hear, hear.  However, I thought people were more aware on Thursday as I got outbid on everything I wanted.  Did OK Tuesday though.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #964 on: June 26, 2011, 08:03:10 PM »

Bruce

How about getting both?

For one, I couldn't be happier about my Stout collection, my Ansin collection, a few Dangers and Taylors here and there.  Great stuff, IMO (and sound investment, since we're talking about money.)  I could probably do without 40% of my prints, but the same can be said about my posters.  So I go for collecting both.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #965 on: June 27, 2011, 01:16:41 AM »
and sound investment

Time will tell.  Especially when they start releasing those "found in the warehouse" pints.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #966 on: June 27, 2011, 01:42:40 AM »
How about getting both?

For one, I couldn't be happier about my Stout collection, my Ansin collection, a few Dangers and Taylors here and there.  Great stuff, IMO (and sound investment, since we're talking about money.)  I could probably do without 40% of my prints, but the same can be said about my posters.  So I go for collecting both.

T

It's the ridiculous drops and the constant chasing and the fact that for the most part, it's turned into more of a money-grind than a labor of love.  I support a fellow like Matt over at cinemaoverdrive.net because it's a labor of love for him, and because he's loyal to those who have consistently followed him.  I won't abide Mondo any longer because they are just the opposite now.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #967 on: June 27, 2011, 02:02:20 AM »
Sure, I don't have any issues with that. 

This said, I do believe that good prints still make it thru, so even though Mondo has turned into a money machine, real artists still provide good prints (although definitely more seldom), and I think it's a mistake to blame them for the mercantile ambition of a few.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #968 on: June 27, 2011, 09:05:09 AM »

This said, I do believe that good prints still make it thru, so even though Mondo has turned into a money machine, real artists still provide good prints (although definitely more seldom), and I think it's a mistake to blame them for the mercantile ambition of a few.

T
(Did I post this before??)

30 years ago, there was a sculptor in Colorado name of Michael Ricker.  His stuff ended up taking on a similar cult status and he was doing the same sort of limited editions.  The cult thing lasted for about 15 years and then crashed big time.  At its peak, the pewter was sold at malls across the country.

After the crash, the operation scaled back and is still around, but at a reasoable level:

http://www.ricker.com/

The point is that during the boom years, Ricker employed dozens of sculptors.  These people remain and formed the core of the Loveland Artist community.  Many became world famous in their own right:
George Walbye - http://walbyeartstudio.com/
Dee Clements - http://deeclements.net/

Both have a lot of civic artwork and Dee did the sculptures for the National Holocaust museum.  Both of them would possibly still be struggling without the Ricker opportunity.
-Jay-

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #969 on: June 27, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
we have one of these on ebay now, at no reserve

Yeah, Dave's got some outstanding posters up for auction, including this rolled Star Wars C.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #970 on: June 27, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »
Mel, are u working with Dave, now?

How much do you get?

;)
My Personal Collection

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #971 on: June 27, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Yeah, Dave's got some outstanding posters up for auction, including this rolled Star Wars C.

Where would the outstanding posters be?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #972 on: June 27, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »
Mel, are u working with Dave, now?

How much do you get?

;)

Where would the outstanding posters be?

Well, I can't please everybody but here's something you boys might like:

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #973 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:14 PM »

T

Oh, no. Don't get me wrong.  It's not the artists, for the most part, that's to blame for commercialization of their work.  I still buy prints, but I don't buy through the first drop, usually, unless it's going to be an easy drop.  So, that naturally limits what I can end up buying.  If I live to avoid another Mondo drop for the rest of my days, I'll be a happier person.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #974 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »
Well, I can't please everybody but here's something you boys might like:

Mmmm... veggies....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery