Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2216456 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #650 on: March 30, 2011, 07:58:10 AM »
oh

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1996-Australian-One-Sheet-Trainspotting-Movie-Poster-/120700841880?pt=AU_Movie_Memorabilia&hash=item1c1a54af98#ht_516wt_1141

Blimey, that's a lot of cash. Great film and nice poster, but the Quad has the same art and is in a better format for the poster style (IMO)...it's a lot cheaper than that too!

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #651 on: March 30, 2011, 10:50:04 AM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #652 on: March 30, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
The ebay seller (rare-movieposters) is at it again... and has the SAME 22x28 inch Portal Publications poster for Valentino's A SAINTED DEVIL up, for only $9500.00 (OBO- laugh1 ).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sainted-Devil-1924-Rudolph-Valentino-Nita-Naldi-POSTR-/260745076368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb59e1e90

If you look at the image and lower right corner that is heavily painted (as all the borders are), whoever did this restore created and placed a Morgan Litho logo in the right corner that doesnt even exist on the genuine Window Card (the art for the vintage OS differs). All of the re-created fine print on the border is incorrectly placed, too. This seller has been notified about this before, yet continues to peddle this piece of linen backed crap, hoping someone unsuspecting will cough up even a few grand, which i am sure he/she would take.

Has anyone here ever bought from this seller (rare-movieposters). They are in NY and have 100% positive feedback. In looking at their recent feedback, they have sold some nice pieces, like a linen backed 3 sheet for A FEW DOLLARS MORE, the rarer style OS from THE GREAT ESCAPE and a backed OS for COOL HAND LUKE.

With that being said, I dont understand why they are selling this Portal piece and describing it as an original. They seem to know posters and poster sizes, so this 22x28 item should be a HUGE red flag for them, wouldn't you think? People have even written to them in the past, and the accurate information is basically brushed to the side.

It makes no sense. 

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #653 on: March 30, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
It makes no sense. 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #654 on: March 30, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I get that.. and that was my first thought. But the question remains: why risk your reputation in selling an obvious reproduction to someone? Its not as tho the others I referenced were. They appear to be the real deal.

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #655 on: March 30, 2011, 02:04:53 PM »
I get that.. and that was my first thought. But the question remains: why risk your reputation in selling an obvious reproduction to someone? Its not as tho the others I referenced were. They appear to be the real deal.

I guess they just figure it wont make a difference in the long run anyway. You have dealers in that bad dealer section here who have perfect and near feedback. Im sure there quite a few others that are completely under the radar.

Teflon dealers.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #656 on: March 30, 2011, 02:17:06 PM »
I guess they just figure it wont make a difference in the long run anyway. You have dealers in that bad dealer section here who have perfect and near feedback. Im sure there quite a few others that are completely under the radar.

Teflon dealers.

Very true..

-Jeff

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #658 on: March 31, 2011, 08:13:44 PM »
Hilarious.  It's 2 guys fighting each other.  What a bunch of morons...  :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #659 on: March 31, 2011, 08:21:37 PM »
I am not as surprised as you guys (a little yes, but not too much) I've got great faith in 80's  Horror Video posters.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #660 on: March 31, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
I sold one of those PUMPKINHEADs to Holiday.  He got a deal compared to what those dudes are doing.
$415....That is outrageous.
But, it is a VERY hard poster to find...

Bruce

« Reply #661 on: March 31, 2011, 08:31:17 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. A great collectible is something NO ONE valued when they were made, like video posters. Everyone threw them out, and few people believe in them even now, so they grow more and more rare.

OTOH, a terrible collectible is something where EVERYONE values them when they are made, because NO ONE ever throws even one out, and everyone believes in them until a few years pass, and all the speculators move on to the "next hot collectible".

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #662 on: March 31, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. A great collectible is something NO ONE valued when they were made, like video posters. Everyone threw them out, and few people believe in them even now, so they grow more and more rare.

OTOH, a terrible collectible is something where EVERYONE values them when they are made, because NO ONE ever throws even one out, and everyone believes in them until a few years pass, and all the speculators move on to the "next hot collectible".

Bruce

Words of wisdom.  wynk

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #663 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:51 PM »
It might be a video poster and it might be a crazy price but it is also an amazing image that I don't think any of the other Pumpkinhead posters have?
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #664 on: March 31, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
Agreed 100% Bruce, and I'll add something extra.
Movie nerds my age (and non movie nerds) grew up on VIDEO, it played a big part in our young life and teens.
Bigger than Cinemas and drive ins (well they were still around and important) but VIDEO STORES were great - and the art of the video posters, especially if its the same as the video cover, brings back all those memories.
Horror lovers tend to be extremely passionate about "their" genre, and as is usually the case, Collecting comes from Nostalgia, the wonderful day when you finally found a copy of SUSPIRIA on Beta, or ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS.

EG, I never saw a Texas Chainsaw massacre Daybill as a kid (even though it was banned here until the 80's), but I sre as heck remember the video poster and lifesize cardboard standee. And I'll tell you which id pay more for, it aint the Cinema release.

Its all about memories. And us kids have now grown, and some of us have money.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #665 on: March 31, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »
You're right, Ari. Every true collector buys their own memories, not anyone else's.

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #666 on: March 31, 2011, 10:12:44 PM »
It might be a video poster and it might be a crazy price but it is also an amazing image that I don't think any of the other Pumpkinhead posters have?

Yes, the art is unique to the video release.
I still prefer the original theatrical though...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #667 on: March 31, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »
This beautiful and ginormous (90"x119") French four panel for Dr. Zhivago just popped up in Emovie's Major Auction - it dwarfs - and is far superior to - the one sheet (shown proportionally below):

Bruce

« Reply #668 on: March 31, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
Uh, oh. Mel's going to need a bigger boat!

Bruce

longdog

« Reply #669 on: April 01, 2011, 02:57:35 AM »
You're right, Ari. Every true collector buys their own memories, not anyone else's.

Bruce

That is quite possibly the best quote I've read that beautifully sums up our collective 'habit'.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #670 on: April 01, 2011, 07:09:47 PM »
That is quite possibly the best quote I've read that beautifully sums up our collective 'habit'.

Sure does.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #671 on: April 01, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »
I am not as surprised as you guys (a little yes, but not too much) I've got great faith in 80's  Horror Video posters.

I have a couple of video release posters because I really like the art i.e. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Stuff...I have been looking for one of these Pumpkinhead posters for a while.  The last one I saw was in october on ebay for around $100.  $415 is just way beyond what I have previously seen it go for.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #672 on: April 01, 2011, 11:47:07 PM »
Only 19+ hours left and the bids are only up to 8000.00 (reserve not met, at this point), for the GILDA one sheet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170619649664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Will she be going home to someone new tomorrow?   :-\

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #673 on: April 02, 2011, 12:04:29 AM »
Nope!  Because no one is going to pay more than what he paid initially for a Gilda poster with a giant tear right up her dress!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #674 on: April 02, 2011, 12:21:13 AM »
Exactly, Chris... she aint goin' nowhere...  :P

-Jeff