Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2216440 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #625 on: March 22, 2011, 12:09:43 AM »
Monsters should not wear lipstick... They are less scary, unless of course they look like your mother-in-law...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #626 on: March 22, 2011, 12:20:18 AM »
Love the Gill Man, but I wish I could get in the game on this one, Sean...wow, what a card...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANKENSTEIN-Lobby-Card-Karloff-Frye-Universal-Horror-/320674763134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa9b4917e

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #628 on: March 22, 2011, 03:02:29 AM »
Very cool pieces, Sean. That 1949-R FREAKS card looks almost mint!   happy1

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #629 on: March 22, 2011, 11:01:36 AM »
Yep - that's a great selection!
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #630 on: March 22, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »
Monsters should not wear lipstick... They are less scary, unless of course they look like your mother-in-law...

It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #631 on: March 23, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
"Do you have the dates wrong Bruce, this double is from 1968..."

I figured out the mystery of why my database gave this quad a date of "1960"

It is fairly simply and fairly frustrating!

We did not know the exact date, so we listed it as "1960s".

But the Sales Result Database my data was taken from has a "character limit" on that field of FOUR characters (for technical reasons I won't bore you with). So it chopped off the "s" and "1960s" became "1960".

Since we are abandoning this database in favor of our new Auction History Database at http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archive.html we won't take the time to fix it there.

But good came out of this both because it exposed this flaw, and because we can fix this in our new database.

We can't fix mistakes until we know what they are, so keep letting us know.

Bruce

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #632 on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:34 AM »
Looking through today's Heritage Signature Auction at the moment...I just don't understand their point of an auction with 'current bids' at high amounts but with zero actual bidders.  I mean, I get what they are doing with reserves, but I just don't see the point of this in a live online auction format. 

Just list the posters for BINS with their prices they want or lower the reserves.  So many times I will watch these things and see so many posters go unsold...oh well.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #633 on: March 26, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »
The lots that didn't sell are available in their "Buy Now" section, so they do have a BIN - it's just post-auction.  I wish they would start every auction at .99 and let the market decide.  I hate the way they do it now, starting at half their low estimate. 

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #634 on: March 26, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »
Yeah, I agree Angelo.

It just makes no sense.  They are shooting themselves in the foot with this 'current bid' crap.  It only discourages folks to watch and take part in/purchase their wares.  Just seems so counterproductive on every level.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Bruce

« Reply #635 on: March 26, 2011, 12:02:28 PM »
This is "old school" auctioning, relying on uninformed bidders who are taken in by the "estimates" and who never figure out that there is no one bidding against them. This was first developed in the mid-1700s and has barely changed since!

But there is an ever-growing new breed of auction bidders who are far too savvy for these kinds of "tricks" and there are fewer and fewer of the "old school" uninformed bidders (and the ever-growing number of high profile passes and items that sell with a single bid attests to this).

More and more bidders don't like auctions with a "Pay retail or you can't buy" format, where the same items return to the block over and over and over (will someone ever FINALLY buy those Lawrence of Arabia roadshow one-sheets so there can finally be one of these auctions without them?), and they don't like secret "reserves" and the DO like real auctions where the final bid price is set by two real bidders!

Bruce

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #636 on: March 26, 2011, 12:31:46 PM »
This was first developed in the mid-1700s and has barely changed since!

Mid 1700's really...wow!!!

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #637 on: March 26, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »
I kind of like this old-fashioned way. It has a sense of a special occasion. It works for me twice a year, especially as I can follow the auction live. I usually only do the signature auctions of HA and not the weekly internets. Even if you can probably get better deals checking three emovieposter auctions and one Comicart auction a week every week aswell as the ebay, it has a sort of dulling effect. I'm not really into it anymore. A few weeks ago I discovered quite a few recently bought items that I already had, including an Italian Peeping Tom! It gets a bit too mechanical. Other ofputting factor for me is that the auctions of Bruce and Rich are in the dead of night here in Holland. This Heritage Auction I've taken my time with the catalogue and browsed through the items you don't see too often somewhere else in my own time, cup of coffee in hand, threatening the wife with all my potential buys. I had a lovely auction, will sent pics later.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #638 on: March 26, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »
I got my first personal copy of the Heritage catalogue last week - very impressed with it.
It's a shame Bruce no longer does these!

How about Bruce does a special one-off auction each year?
It's an idea!

So Mondo, I assume you acquired a few pieces tonight?
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #639 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:23 PM »
the auctions of Bruce and Rich are in the dead of night here in Holland.

I definitely hear that Wim. Unfortunately, there isn't a soultion. Naturally, the majority of buyers for US posters are in America and for those buyers, auctions need to take place after work hours. Bruce has that Sunday auction early enough for you and I wish I could do something alike, but with just a 2-person crew and a real inability to find other useful employees, it just isn't possible.

Myself, I hate ebay auctions that end before 10am Pacific time on ebay (I have no idea why anyone would want an auction to end at 7am). I'm fast asleep. Of course, I do get something extra for those fools whose auctions end before 3am my time (and again I have no idea why anyone would want an auction to end at 3am) as auctions ending at that time on ebay are usually pretty cheap seeing as 90% of the buyers are sleeping or busy

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #640 on: March 27, 2011, 03:06:30 AM »

So Mondo, I assume you acquired a few pieces tonight?

Yes, very happy, some things I've never seen before, like the Othello quad, some I've been after for long time (dorian Gray), but all great designs
here they are, two great lobbies

quads:

40x60

onesheets

Belgian, halfsheet and Italian 2 foglio

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #641 on: March 27, 2011, 08:54:57 AM »
Nice buys, Mondo happy1
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #642 on: March 27, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »
This might be priced a bit high, eh?
It is after all a commercial poster from 1968...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200591107468&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #643 on: March 28, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
The ebay seller (rare-movieposters) is at it again... and has the SAME 22x28 inch Portal Publications poster for Valentino's A SAINTED DEVIL up, for only $9500.00 (OBO- laugh1 ).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sainted-Devil-1924-Rudolph-Valentino-Nita-Naldi-POSTR-/260745076368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb59e1e90

If you look at the image and lower right corner that is heavily painted (as all the borders are), whoever did this restore created and placed a Morgan Litho logo in the right corner that doesnt even exist on the genuine Window Card (the art for the vintage OS differs). All of the re-created fine print on the border is incorrectly placed, too. This seller has been notified about this before, yet continues to peddle this piece of linen backed crap, hoping someone unsuspecting will cough up even a few grand, which i am sure he/she would take.

First is the ebay Portal, followed by the legitimate WC (image from Heritage archive):

Check out the badly drawn Morgan Litho and heavy paint on the fake:

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #644 on: March 28, 2011, 04:05:22 PM »
This might be priced a bit high, eh?
It is after all a commercial poster from 1968...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200591107468&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Hmmm.  This seller is only a couple of miles from me.  Still, I agree about overpriced commercial paper.
-Jay-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #645 on: March 28, 2011, 04:48:03 PM »
The ebay seller (rare-movieposters) is at it again... and has the SAME 22x28 inch Portal Publications poster for Valentino's A SAINTED DEVIL up, for only $9500.00 (OBO- laugh1 ).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sainted-Devil-1924-Rudolph-Valentino-Nita-Naldi-POSTR-/260745076368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb59e1e90

If you look at the image and lower right corner that is heavily painted (as all the borders are), whoever did this restore created and placed a Morgan Litho logo in the right corner that doesnt even exist on the genuine Window Card (the art for the vintage OS differs). All of the re-created fine print on the border is incorrectly placed, too. This seller has been notified about this before, yet continues to peddle this piece of linen backed crap, hoping someone unsuspecting will cough up even a few grand, which i am sure he/she would take.

Rat Bastard.  If I ever see him at the mall...bing, bang, boom....

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #646 on: March 28, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »
 laugh1
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #647 on: March 28, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »
Wow...now that's just blatant fraud.
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!