Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203363 times)

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #600 on: March 18, 2011, 01:37:31 PM »
Mahmud, that is an awesome restoration job on your The Man With the Golden Arm.

Nice Vespa posters Harry, but I must say that if the guys on American Chopper ever make a movie and put Mikey Tuttle on the poster riding a Vespa, that would be the ultimate Vespa poster.  :D

Good work on placing those images side by side, Mel.  Interesting to see how they slightly changed the different formats.

thanks Neo it was an easy job there was no paper loss it just needed putting back together

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #601 on: March 18, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
I dug and found some further 50 FOOT information. The ebay seller indicates and shows that another smokeless copy of the ATTACK poster was auctioned in 1998, at Sotheby's. While I could not find what it sold for in that year, I did find that the same copy of this poster was auctioned and sold on June 26, 2010 by Julien's Auctions in their Hollywood Legends #2 auction. Read the Provenance in the image below.

As most know, the US one sheet for this title can demand a premium, as it is highly sought after. It has sold most recently (at Heritage) for $8365.00 in July 2010 and $6872.00 in July 2009. (in March 2008, it sold for $15,535.00, with varying bids in other years, as well).

The Sotheby's poster (Lot 228 from the 1998 auction), sold at Julien's, (Lot 1214) last June, for $750.00. It had an estimated value of $1500-3,000.00, with an start bid of $750.00. It went no further. With that being said, I am genuinely curious what it is about this version that gives it such a low estimated value and why it realized such a low winning bid last year. And with under one day left on the ebay copy, the high bid still stands at only $510.00. The bid could very well jump drastically in the last 2 minutes, too.

It's all very interesting, to say the least.

Here are the Sotheby's/Julien copy (their photo made the poster appear very washed out- maybe it is?) and also the lot page from the site:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:45:59 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #602 on: March 18, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »
Nice research, Jeff.
I'll bet that Ebay copy goes for a lot higher by the end.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #603 on: March 18, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
Great digging Jeff!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #604 on: March 18, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »
An International one-sheet makes sense for someone with a large worldwide following like Hitchcock, or an Academy Award winner like Roman Holiday from a major studio, but it is quite rare for a 50s movie period, and for a shlocky film like Attack of the 50ft Woman that likely got no overseas distribution outside of the UK would be strange indeed.

I wrote and asked Ed Poole AT LAMP about this issue, with regard to this film and time period. He wrote back:

"You are asking a very in depth and subjective question that depends on the title and requires a lot of research.

Defining 'international'- A poster created in one country for use to publicize their film in another country. We have records of internationals dating back to around 1906. There is even some possibility of U.S. 'Trust' distributors being the originators of the first vertical quads in England. Before 1910, French distributors like Gaumont and Melies sent Thierry hates "French Grande" posters to their offices in New York for use here in the U.S.

In the time period that you're looking at, internationals were fairly common. Some were marked to tell easily and some weren't. We have numerous on file. For example, take the international poster for the 1957 Jet Pilot. Below the RKO tag it shows it has been distributed by Universal International. NSS handled the printing and shipping and were 'supposed' to take their NSS number and property tag off, but forgot. In a completely different direction, take a look at Buccaneer from 1958 and you will see an international 3 sheet and lobby card set issued that were different colors than the U.S. material.

During that time period when NSS was so dominant, they started stamping the back of the poster with 'FOR' (for FOREIGN) on the posters that were printed for shipment overseas.

Most titles fall under general guidelines for documentation, but there are massive amounts of exceptions. One of the exceptions is an area that seems to be a little misunderstood, which is 'studio issues'. NSS was paid a royalty for whatever services they provided. When studios wanted to promote a film in advance outside of NSS distribution, posters were printed for them to hand out directly to theater managers or for whatever promotion they had planned. Sometimes these were printed by NSS with the property tag removed (usually leaving the NSS number for identification) and sometimes they were printed by alternate printers. A good example of this would be Back to the Future.

So, you usually have to scrutinize the poster for markings and if they're not specific enough, then more digging is necessary on that specific title."

A public thanks to Ed and LAMP for this information. They are an invaluable source of data and images.   cheers

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:30:20 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #605 on: March 18, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »
Ah, LAMP and Ed never cease to amaze me.
Good stuff, Jeff.  sm1
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #606 on: March 18, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »

Most titles fall under general guidelines for documentation, but there are massive amounts of exceptions. One of the exceptions is an area that seems to be a little misunderstood, which is 'studio issues'. NSS was paid a royalty for whatever services they provided. When studios wanted to promote a film in advance outside of NSS distribution, posters were printed for them to hand out directly to theater managers or for whatever promotion they had planned. Sometimes these were printed by NSS with the property tag removed (usually leaving the NSS number for identification) and sometimes they were printed by alternate printers. A good example of this would be Back to the Future.

Big Trouble In Little China is another example I know of.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #607 on: March 18, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »

Interesting topic.  So Erik, as much as I understand the studios going above NSS's head to divert their marketing schemes, will would the exact same poster be printed jointly by the studios and the NSS?  Was the NSS not printing enough, too expensive?  Think BTTF, ESB and so many other titles...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #608 on: March 19, 2011, 04:19:05 PM »
I dug and found some further 50 FOOT information. The ebay seller indicates and shows that another smokeless copy of the ATTACK poster was auctioned in 1998, at Sotheby's. While I could not find what it sold for in that year, I did find that the same copy of this poster was auctioned and sold on June 26, 2010 by Julien's Auctions in their Hollywood Legends #2 auction. Read the Provenance in the image below.

As most know, the US one sheet for this title can demand a premium, as it is highly sought after. It has sold most recently (at Heritage) for $8365.00 in July 2010 and $6872.00 in July 2009. (in March 2008, it sold for $15,535.00, with varying bids in other years, as well).

The Sotheby's poster (Lot 228 from the 1998 auction), sold at Julien's, (Lot 1214) last June, for $750.00. It had an estimated value of $1500-3,000.00, with an start bid of $750.00. It went no further. With that being said, I am genuinely curious what it is about this version that gives it such a low estimated value and why it realized such a low winning bid last year. And with under one day left on the ebay copy, the high bid still stands at only $510.00. The bid could very well jump drastically in the last 2 minutes, too.

It's all very interesting, to say the least.

Here are the Sotheby's/Julien copy (their photo made the poster appear very washed out- maybe it is?) and also the lot page from the site:

ATTACK's high winning bid on ebay, today was $799.00

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #609 on: March 19, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »
Did you take the plunge Jeff?
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #610 on: March 19, 2011, 04:26:44 PM »
No Chris. I actually wrote the seller yesterday and asked if there was any of the Allied Artists copyright info on the lower left border (it exists there on the standard US one sheet). He said the area on his poster was blank.  :-\

International OS or whatever this is.. I opted to not bite.  ;)

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #611 on: March 19, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
No Chris. I actually wrote the seller yesterday and asked if there was any of the Allied Artists copyright info on the lower left border (it exists there on the standard US one sheet). He said the area on his poster was blank.  :-\

International OS or whatever this is.. I opted to not bite.  ;)

Jeff

Probably a wise choice.  The colours look somewhat washed out although not as bad as the Julien copy...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #612 on: March 20, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »
With the double bill thread a hot topic.. this is currently running on ebay.. for the double bill for ONE MILLION YEARS BC and SHE (UK quad). Ends in 3 hours 45 min:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Raquel-Welch-ONE-MILLION-YEARS-BC-SHE-UK-Quad-poster-/130496806908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e62373ffc

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #613 on: March 20, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »
With the double bill thread a hot topic.. this is currently running on ebay.. for the double bill for ONE MILLION YEARS BC and SHE (UK quad). Ends in 3 hours 45 min

happy1
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #614 on: March 21, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »
You can pick these up rolled if your patient enough, and with out the chunk missing from the bottom.
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #615 on: March 21, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
ONE MILLION YEARS B.C./SHE   1960   British quad - UF; origin   G-VG   $335.00   09/09/2010
ONE MILLION YEARS B.C./SHE   1960   British quad - UF; origin   Fn   $490.00   04/01/2010
ONE MILLION YEARS B.C./SHE   1960   British quad - UF; origin   VG   $350.00   11/05/2009
ONE MILLION YEARS B.C./SHE   1960   British quad - FF; origin   VG-Fn   $261.00   10/13/2009
ONE MILLION YEARS B.C./SHE   1960   British quad - FF; origin   VG-Fn   $343.00   05/07/2009
ONE MILLION YEARS B.C./SHE   1960   British quad   VG   $271.00   08/19/2003

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #616 on: March 21, 2011, 01:53:56 PM »
Do you have the dates wrong Bruce, this double is from 1968...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #617 on: March 21, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »
Do you have the dates wrong Bruce, this double is from 1968...

Yes, these films were nary a thought in anyone's noggin til at least 1965 (She) and 1966 (BC)...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #618 on: March 21, 2011, 08:30:09 PM »
I've had a number of these over the years, its a nice poster.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #619 on: March 21, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »
I don't know where that 1960 came from, but I will be sure to fix it tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Bruce

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #620 on: March 21, 2011, 10:07:26 PM »
Within a couple of hours this shot up to about where i thought it would end at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REVENGE-CREATURE-Lobby-Card-4-Black-Lagoon-/320674768145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa9b4a511
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #621 on: March 21, 2011, 10:11:46 PM »
But the ultimate question is Sean if you feel comfortable selling to or letting the auction end with a newly registered bidder with 3 feedback as it stands now?
Chris

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #622 on: March 21, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »
I didn't, but he actually just sent me an email so I know who it is now.  Long time hobbyist, who i have no idea why he decided to get a new ID, but it certainly makes me feel better.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #623 on: March 21, 2011, 10:56:28 PM »
Freakin' dealers and auctioneers, all have there big sales at the same time.   :P

This one hurts, that's some really, really nice stuff. 

Methinks Heritage could have a big day on a couple of items, seems like there are some war-chests being filled, (or will soon be filled).

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #624 on: March 21, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »
Within a couple of hours this shot up to about where i thought it would end at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REVENGE-CREATURE-Lobby-Card-4-Black-Lagoon-/320674768145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa9b4a511

To quote El Brendel..."Yumpin' Yiminy."