Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203491 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #575 on: March 16, 2011, 08:03:02 PM »
The second image is not good for comparative purposes (other than for the lack of smoke) as the colours have obviously been enhanced...

I have no definitive opinion on the authenticity of the one up for auction BUT I will say the lack of smoke would be a BIG concern for me!
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #576 on: March 16, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
The seller states:"This very rare original 27 X 41 printed in USA poster but was made for foreign issue, to a english speaking country." Thoughts?

The seller does say it has "the correct blue stamping on the back that said '1 sht ATTACK 50 FOOT WOMEN.'"

I'm assuming that he's referencing the NSS stamp, which would increase the odds it's legit.

Note also that the 40x60 version of the poster - indisputably legit - lacks the smoke:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #577 on: March 16, 2011, 08:37:55 PM »
Hmmm...the restoration invoice is a tactic I have not seen employed before...
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #578 on: March 16, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »
The seller does say it has "the correct blue stamping on the back that said '1 sht ATTACK 50 FOOT WOMEN.'"

I'm assuming that he's referencing the NSS stamp, which would increase the odds it's legit.

Of course, now that it is linen backed we can't see whether the stamp actually exists or not...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #579 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »
The 40x60 comparison doesn't lend credence, as that size was printed without the smoke rising from the car, along with a B/W image. Other comparable OS must be looked at.

An image with no color enhancement:

Here is the cover of the book, written about artist, Reynold Brown. The authors utilized and had access to original drawings and paintings, as well:

The seller also points out and shows an image from a Sotheby's catalogue, indicating that this "smokeless" poster was made for the international market. I wanted to see if others, in the know, here in the forum knew of this, too.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #580 on: March 16, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
And on close inspection, the ebay poster does not have printer's registration marks. Seems curious.

The NSS number and info isnt present on the ebay copy, either, in the lower right border area.

Ebay example-lower right corner:

Heritage example-lower right corner:

And again, I am just asking questions about differences. I'm not saying the ebay poster isn't what the seller says it is.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:41:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #581 on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »
The 40x60 comparison doesn't lend credence, as that size was printed without the smoke rising from the car, along with a B/W image.

Your logic escapes me. The point is that the studio printed some versions of the poster without the smoke. Furthermore, other than the lack of smoke and color scheme the 40x60 is otherwise identical to the US OS.

Therefore, it follows that the studio MAY have printed a version of the OS without the smoke as well. It's not conclusive, just a consideration.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #582 on: March 16, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »
I was basing my logic on the comparison of posters of the same size. It is common knowledge that other sizes can have differences in the artwork, even if slight. As i mentioned in my first post, I was recalling some info i had read on NSF some time ago about this issue and was inquiring here.

It is very likely that the international one sheet was smokeless.

I found an image of the UK quad. The car looks to be smokeless here, too.

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #583 on: March 16, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »
Did they even have unique international 1-sheets back in the 50s?  The oldest ones I know of are from the mid-late 60s... Before that I know of many examples of normal US 1-sheets showing up in other international markets (ask Wim about the Netherlands), but not unique posters.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #584 on: March 16, 2011, 11:56:39 PM »
Your logic escapes me.

As a side note -- and speaking of logic escaping one, I am still unclear about the link you posted, in which you claim to show an "UNRELEASED" 3 sheet for GOLDFINGER. The link goes to an image with no further information about it. It was later shown that this "poster" was simply cobbled together with images from other poster sources and photoshopped together. For the sake of all newbies out there, who might use this board to learn about posters, what was the purpose of posting that link without some kind of caveat or disclaimer accompanying the image, explaining that it was not genuine or even physically real?

When asked previously, no reply was forthcoming.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:45:39 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #585 on: March 17, 2011, 12:51:03 AM »
For the sake of all newbies out there, what would be the purpose of posting that link without some kind of caveat or disclaimer above or below that image, indicating it was not genuine or even physically real?

Good point.
What is the story behind the bogus image?
Without a disclaimer of some sort, it makes other images posted here suspect.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #586 on: March 17, 2011, 07:03:49 AM »
As a side note -- and speaking of logic escaping one, I am still unclear about the link you posted, in which you claim to show an "UNRELEASED" 3 sheet for GOLDFINGER. The link goes to an image with no further information about it. It was later shown that this "poster" was simply cobbled together with images from other poster sources and photoshopped together. For the sake of all newbies out there, who might use this board to learn about posters, what was the purpose of posting that link without some kind of caveat or disclaimer accompanying the image, explaining that it was not genuine or even physically real?

That was a post obviously made in jest in the HITCG thread, the board's not-particularly-serious smut thread. I'm flummoxed anyone took that seriously for a second. In all likelihood only two or three people took it seriously and everyone else straying into that den of iniquity instantly recognized it as a not-so-serious post. But some ingenious (or perhaps ridiculous) detective work - including an X-ray! - later "showed" it to be fake!  

But anyway I'm glad you two are very concerned for the "sake of the newbies" hanging out in the smut thread!  I'll be sure to make all proper "disclaimers" there in the future, lest they be led astray.

And since you are insinuating that I've somehow posted a photoshopped Attack poster, perhaps you should check here. Of course, you could have easily found that 40x60 poster yourself before you made the prior posts, couldn't you?  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:37:57 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #587 on: March 17, 2011, 01:48:17 PM »
That was a post obviously made in jest in the HITCG thread, the board's not-particularly-serious smut thread. I'm flummoxed anyone took that seriously for a second. In all likelihood only two or three people took it seriously and everyone else straying into that den of iniquity instantly recognized it as a not-so-serious post. But some ingenious (or perhaps ridiculous) detective work - including an X-ray! - later "showed" it to be fake!  

But anyway I'm glad you two are very concerned for the "sake of the newbies" hanging out in the smut thread!  I'll be sure to make all proper "disclaimers" there in the future, lest they be led astray.

And since you are insinuating that I've somehow posted a photoshopped Attack poster, perhaps you should check here. Of course, you could have easily found that 40x60 poster yourself before you made the prior posts, couldn't you?  

First, I did not hint at or insinuate that there was any photoshopping done on the 40x60 ATTACK poster by anyone.  I located and looked at the image on Heritage before replying here. Please go back and read my response. I said that posters of other sizes have utilized the same artwork, sometimes with subtle changes done to it. Case in point: I followed by posting an additional response and an image of the ATTACK UK quad. This image is also smokeless, further bolstering my previous comment.

If you choose to be flummoxed, that is your choice. The initial GOLDFINGER query was a simple question initially and all that was needed was a simple response. Since no answer was forthcoming, it certainly raised questions in other people's minds. If a fake poster had been posted to the board, without explanation, by someone else, I am sure there would have been questions or comments put forth by you and others.

To inquire makes sound, common sense, in a hobby littered with reproes, re-strikes and bootlegs.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:21:46 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #588 on: March 17, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
And on close inspection, the ebay poster does not have printer's registration marks. Seems curious.

The NSS number and info isnt present on the ebay copy, either, in the lower right border area.

Ebay example-lower right corner:

Heritage example-lower right corner:

And again, I am just asking questions about differences. I'm not saying the ebay poster isn't what the seller says it is.  ;D

I got a Man With the Golden Arm 1 sheet a couple of years ago which i believe is an International 1 sheet, it also doesnt have the markings or NSS number, I started a thread on NSFGE and the consensus was that it was genuine. It was pretty beat up (I did only pay $25 for it) so I sent it Dario who agreed that it was real

after restoration

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #589 on: March 17, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
Did they even have unique international 1-sheets back in the 50s?  The oldest ones I know of are from the mid-late 60s... Before that I know of many examples of normal US 1-sheets showing up in other international markets (ask Wim about the Netherlands), but not unique posters.

I remember that thread on NSFGE...

And to correct my own statement above... I forgot that I actually have an international 1-sheet with unique art from 1960!  Roman Holiday was re-release internationally in 1960 and in the US in 1962.  IMO, the R60 int'l 1-sheet is one of the best posters for the film... it is the only one with a good shot of the infamous Vespa ride.

On a side note, I love this TCM poster I just found!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #590 on: March 17, 2011, 04:25:13 PM »
I was basing my logic on the comparison of posters of the same size. It is common knowledge that other sizes can have differences in the artwork, even if slight. As i mentioned in my first post, I was recalling some info i had read on NSF some time ago about this issue and was inquiring here.

It is very likely that the international one sheet was smokeless.

I found an image of the UK quad. The car looks to be smokeless here, too.

Jeff,  That Quad is a re-release...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #591 on: March 17, 2011, 05:00:42 PM »
Jeff,  That Quad is a re-release...

Thanks, Paul. Do you have the original release quad, by any chance?

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #593 on: March 17, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »
Thanks, Paul. Do you have the original release quad, by any chance?

Unfortunately not Jeff, but as far as I can remember it's the same style only with colour art work, and not just a two colour copy.
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #594 on: March 17, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:24:11 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #595 on: March 17, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »
The appearance of the smoke varies on the OS, the insert and the 3 sheet. Subtle differences in the artwork, as previously mentioned:

OS Smoke:

Insert Smoke:

3-Sheet Smoke:

And she's smokin!!    sm1

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #596 on: March 17, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »
It's funny...I saw this 50FT WOMAN movie 100 times on TV as a kid...and I still can't get over how nice a poster it is for such a BAD movie.
It should be in our Bad movie Cool poster thread...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #597 on: March 17, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »
Also, the smoke is thick and white on the three sheet but black and thin on the one sheet.  Will post pics later.

The image at issue (the alleged US international):

I see that Erik has also posted pics in the interim but I'll add these as well - hair color also changes, banner is dramatically different:

The S2 Art Group re-creation:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:43:02 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #598 on: March 18, 2011, 02:03:57 AM »
Mahmud, that is an awesome restoration job on your The Man With the Golden Arm.

Nice Vespa posters Harry, but I must say that if the guys on American Chopper ever make a movie and put Mikey Tuttle on the poster riding a Vespa, that would be the ultimate Vespa poster.  :D

Good work on placing those images side by side, Mel.  Interesting to see how they slightly changed the different formats.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #599 on: March 18, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
An International one-sheet makes sense for someone with a large worldwide following like Hitchcock, or an Academy Award winner like Roman Holiday from a major studio, but it is quite rare for a 50s movie period, and for a shlocky film like Attack of the 50ft Woman that likely got no overseas distribution outside of the UK would be strange indeed.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com