Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203713 times)

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8800 on: December 04, 2023, 06:41:51 PM »
Just checked the first page of Bruce’s upcoming auction.  Man, I’ve been after that Star Wars 7 sheet forever, but I won’t touch it libenbacked.  Why do people have to linen everything?

T
I'm feeling the same way about this auction. There are some things I would want...but they're all linenbacked so I'm not going to bid. Too much linen in this one. There might be ONE I might be willing to go for...maybe...It's a shame so many posters are linenbacked that really don't need to be.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #8801 on: December 04, 2023, 09:12:20 PM »
Just checked the first page of Bruce’s upcoming auction.  Man, I’ve been after that Star Wars 7 sheet forever, but I won’t touch it libenbacked.  Why do people have to linen everything?

T

Thierry, I know you HATE linen, but I know you HAVE been known to make exceptions, and I respectfully submit this is one of those time!

There are so few of these, and you could never display it unbacked (not that you would)!

Best of luck if you have a change of heart!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8802 on: December 04, 2023, 09:40:07 PM »
I promise you I could display it folded, if indeed I did.  I’ve had a few 6 sheets on my wall, Josey Whales, Jaws and Star Wars, and it’s actually quite easy with pins and clips.

I own one linenbacked 6 sheet, Laura, and it’s just impossible to handle and even harder to store.  I put it in a gigantic tube and it will never see the light of day again, at least not in my house.  Too much trouble.

The only way to own one of these is to actually display it permanently and never touch it again, but this is not my style, so I must pass.  Folded, I would have gone all in, along with a lot of other folks I suspect.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #8803 on: December 05, 2023, 10:37:13 AM »
Its a Star Wars 7 sheet. A true grail. Who cares if its on linen. Own a white whale no one else has and if the linen is so repulsive and you can't sleep, have it easily removed.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8804 on: December 05, 2023, 03:15:25 PM »
Its a Star Wars 7 sheet. A true grail. Who cares if its on linen. Own a white whale no one else has and if the linen is so repulsive and you can't sleep, have it easily removed.

It is extremely rare, high demand, etc., and a grail, in any condition state, for a lot of folks.  You're probably not gonna convince the anti-linen/restoration folks, though, if there's a possibility they can find one unbacked.  I'm pretty sure it would probably have to be backed to something after the backing is removed.  That might be the worst option with something already backed. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 03:56:13 PM by Neo »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8805 on: December 05, 2023, 06:37:11 PM »
We should probably make a thread for Heritage blunders at this point, but here's yet another: 
They label this Heritage Enterprises (no relation, just a small film distributor) re-release US one-sheet as an original Lebanese (?!) one-sheet.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8806 on: December 05, 2023, 08:09:23 PM »
It is extremely rare, high demand, etc., and a grail, in any condition state, for a lot of folks.  You're probably not gonna convince the anti-linen/restoration folks, though, if there's a possibility they can find one unbacked.  I'm pretty sure it would probably have to be backed to something after the backing is removed.  That might be the worst option with something already backed.

I won’t buy something like that for the reasons I mentioned above, #1 being too hard to store.  Also, I believe it might pop up one day folded.  As far as unbacking it, um, great idea, but no thank you.  My main beef here, and obviously not Bruce’s fault at all (he sells what he has) is why people keep backing everything.  It vexes me.  I’m terribly vexed.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8807 on: December 05, 2023, 08:36:49 PM »
I won’t buy something like that for the reasons I mentioned above, #1 being too hard to store.  Also, I believe it might pop up one day folded.  As far as unbacking it, um, great idea, but no thank you.  My main beef here, and obviously not Bruce’s fault at all (he sells what he has) is why people keep backing everything.  It vexes me.  I’m terribly vexed.

T

Understandable.  Seems like a lot of seasoned collectors view stuff as "it's only original once" and appreciate the imperfections, and avoid any restoration.  To be clear I think unbacking and leaving it unbacked would be the worst decision.

For most folks, buying a backed larger format poster would be much easier and ideal for them to display.  You're right, they take a huge tube and a lot more space to store vs folded/unbacked.  This 7 sheet for Jaws would be epic on display, even moreso linen backed without the folds IMO.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8808 on: December 06, 2023, 06:08:19 PM »
love these  Cabral

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8809 on: December 06, 2023, 06:17:02 PM »
never seen this
first thought was
jimmy sex doll

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8810 on: December 06, 2023, 07:08:30 PM »
never seen this
first thought was
jimmy sex doll

mesmrized Someone on Facebook said the Taylor Swift poster looks like that.  mesmrized

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8811 on: December 13, 2023, 06:50:39 PM »
never seen this
first thought was
jimmy sex doll

Made me chuckle! It is a bit of a strange facial expression that the artist captured.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8812 on: December 19, 2023, 09:00:57 PM »
Great battles on right now!  Good on you Bruce. bed1 bed1

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8813 on: December 19, 2023, 09:30:53 PM »
Completely bonkers and unreal to me.  I say unreal because all I see here are a few people with way too much money driving prices up.  I don't think these prices mean anything and I wouldn't be surprised if Jaws and ESB sell for 1/2 those numbers at the next sale.  But good for Bruce.  He must be happy

Having said that, I own 20 of the 80 most expensive posters, so I would have done very well at this auction.  If I was selling of course.

T
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 09:36:32 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8814 on: December 20, 2023, 05:53:39 AM »
Great battles on right now!  Good on you Bruce. bed1 bed1

I was just looking at the bid history of that Jaws 7-sheet - quite the battle between the final two bidders. From ~$6k up to $25k

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8815 on: December 20, 2023, 04:42:46 PM »
I was just looking at the bid history of that Jaws 7-sheet - quite the battle between the final two bidders. From ~$6k up to $25k

Kind of the essense of all high price posters, isn't it?
Like T said, these will most likely be down a lot the next time they are offered, there just aren't lines of people spending five figures plus on posters.
Once you get to the mid-way of that (say $50k), there are about two handfuls of buyers,  and one of those handfuls are people looking to resell the poster to the other handful.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8816 on: December 20, 2023, 05:57:01 PM »
Kind of the essense of all high price posters, isn't it?
Like T said, these will most likely be down a lot the next time they are offered, there just aren't lines of people spending five figures plus on posters.
Once you get to the mid-way of that (say $50k), there are about two handfuls of buyers,  and one of those handfuls are people looking to resell the poster to the other handful.

Interesting, thank you.

I shop at the low end, but I often seem to be bidding against one other person and together we push the price up by about 300%+ as we both try to win the auction. I sometimes imagine it's the same person, my collecting nemesis! It's strangely re-assuring to see it happen at the high end and to know that I'm not the only one thinking "imagine how cheap I could have got this one if it wasn't for this pest..."

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8817 on: December 20, 2023, 06:26:01 PM »
That is interesting how few people there are at the very high end.

I think it's also safe to say that there are folks waiting for one of the 2 guys in the bidding war to stop bidding so they can swoop in and place a bid.  It's just a question of at what point would that person have placed a bid in the middle of the battle the 2 guys were in.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8818 on: December 24, 2023, 12:52:35 PM »
Wow!.. Hateful 8 Canadian Poster at $1000 on EMP.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8819 on: December 26, 2023, 02:46:24 PM »
Wow!.. Hateful 8 Canadian Poster at $1000 on EMP.

Darn good result.  The two highest previous results at eMovie were $455 and $303, and the other 15 sold between about $100-$250.

The Canadian artwork is really good, especially for a newer (2015) movie.  Maybe being the winter season currently, and the snowy winter atmosphere of the artwork, helped achieve the high result.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8820 on: December 26, 2023, 04:08:11 PM »
$100 to someone is a $1,000 to someone else.  Still, it’s a little out of control.  I have a little Tarantino collection, and although I have the quad of the same design, I never bought the one sheet.  The quad is so much better for this design.  Still, I would have prob paid $200 for it.  But a thousand…. Good for whoever can afford that.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8821 on: January 22, 2024, 02:53:57 PM »
Looking through the catalogue of the upcoming Propstore poster auction I was surprised to see they have a Thai Joker 1-Sheet and are using instagram to push it. I appreciate we might all have different thoughts about these Thai/International 1-sheets, but for me having a large auction house offer these titles does seems to legitimise them. Maybe The Joker poster was never in question?

I also noted they have number of Video posters and haven't seen theses offered before. Admittedly, they are in lots, but considering the recent conversation about the rise of the Video poster I'm interested to see how these do.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8822 on: January 22, 2024, 05:48:59 PM »
Thanks for the prop store link.  They have some very cool UK video stuff, killer klowns quad, and more.  I probably won't be bidding but it'll be interesting to see how they all do in this venue.

Edit: Some of the autographs look OK, but many of the autographed photos are terrible IMO - just a big scribble across the middle of the photo.  Several great original posters and prints, but why have signatures like those mixed in?  I don't understand.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 06:26:46 PM by Neo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8823 on: February 07, 2024, 01:13:41 PM »
I also noted they have number of Video posters and haven't seen theses offered before. Admittedly, they are in lots, but considering the recent conversation about the rise of the Video poster I'm interested to see how these do.

Some good bidding so far at PropStore.  The lot with The Goonies, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, etc. is currently over $1,100, the lot with They Live, etc. is over $600.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 01:52:06 PM by Neo »

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #8824 on: March 01, 2024, 09:45:30 AM »
I have like dozens of linen backed posters stored in a room , lost count on how many......50+ ?

Storing for example italian 2sh/4sh goes just fine.....obviously an 8sh billboard would take up more space than usual