Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203808 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #425 on: January 02, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »
Outstanding 1926 poster for The Black Pirate coming up at Heritage in March.  This one apparently has not been restored or LB'd:

Nice Mel,,but give me lee way here guys..do i see warping or roll marks on this..would that be irrelevant anyway??

Stew

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #426 on: January 02, 2011, 12:43:57 PM »
Id call the marks I see on it irrelevant given its age.  The girl with a mustache, however, turns me on.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #427 on: January 02, 2011, 01:00:57 PM »
Thanks Kovacs... :) all thats missing is a side boob...

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #428 on: January 02, 2011, 03:22:07 PM »
You cheeseballs would probably be more interested in this auction next week:

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #429 on: January 02, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
it's definitely sad that Pam has, like Jayne Mansfield before her, become a parody of herself

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #430 on: January 02, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »
it's definitely sad that Pam has, like Jayne Mansfield before her, become a parody of herself

She was a great sport on Comedy roasts though!!

Stew

Ps..yes i would.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #431 on: January 02, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
Yes I would also.....................Bid on that poster. ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #432 on: January 02, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »
Id call the marks I see on it irrelevant given its age.  The girl with a mustache, however, turns me on.

clap
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
UNICORN ALERT!
« Reply #433 on: January 05, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »
It looks like the secret is out given that it's currently the most expensive poster this week at HA -- having already been bid up to $717 with BP and 4 days left to go.  I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who loves this poster!

http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=511012&Lot_No=52109

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #434 on: January 05, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »
It is a cracker and one of the best of the 70s IMO. Do you know who's the artist?
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #435 on: January 06, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »
Not sure, I don't think its signed.  Regardless of who painted it, they clearly has issues! 

I don't know what that says about me, though, as I looked forever to find one!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #436 on: January 08, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »
Up to $956 with a day to go! 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #437 on: January 09, 2011, 05:41:38 PM »
A 1921 poster - 90 years old! - going up for Auction in March at Heritage.  When did they first start printing 27x41 one sheets?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #438 on: January 09, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
the earliest one sheet I have is 1904 or thereabouts

kinda hard to date some because they didn't use a standard code that I'm aware of

I have a poster (for a Jesus movie) that is supposedly 1898, but I'm certain is 1910-1915

i have a number of pre-1920 one sheets

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #439 on: January 09, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »
Calm down, Mel! This is FAR from one of the earliest one-sheet posters.

The very first one-sheets were in circa 1898 to 1902. The "one-sheet" (and three-sheets, six-sheets, etc) had already been in use from magic, circus, and stage show posters, so it made perfect sense to use the same sizes (although the very first movie posters were more like window card size, and they more advertised the new phenomenon than any specific movie.

There are some one-sheets from independents (like Barnsdale) that are dated from 1902 to 1904. The first one-sheets from a "name" studio are some 1907 ones from Vitagraph, but those don't have a single central image.

There are 1909 one-sheets and three-sheets from Biograph. There was a large find of different 1913 and 1914 one-sheets made in the 1960s, and near that time Collector's Book Store bought an incredible collection of file copies from William Randolph Hearst's estate that included a lot of 1915 to 1918 posters.

There was also an amazing find in Australia that included both styles of Birth of a Nation (1915) and both styles of Intolerance (1916).

And I auctioned a huge percentage of the above posters over the years!

1921 one-sheets are rare, but ones from 1918 and earlier are super rare, likely because of WWI paper drives.

Bruce

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #440 on: January 09, 2011, 05:59:27 PM »
L.A.M.P. suggest 1909

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #441 on: January 09, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
Calm down, Mel! This is FAR from one of the earliest one-sheet posters.

But you really have to admire Mel's enthusiasm.
Sounds like he could definitely stand to pore through some more of your catalogs (especially the early ones) showing a number of early posters and definitely needs to get a copy of Reel Art.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #442 on: January 09, 2011, 08:35:19 PM »
Appreciate that but printed catalogs are totally stone age to me.  Right now Heritage blows away the competition for checking out past sales and viewing previously-sold posters.  It took me one minute to line up pre-1920 comedy posters in reverse price order:

Matt

« Reply #443 on: January 09, 2011, 08:36:01 PM »
In 2007 The Story of the Kelly Gang(1906) was inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register for being the world's first full-length feature film.

1906   The Story of the Kelly Gang   Daybill. 'Anderson's Olympia Theatre, Saturday Nov. 26. J.J. Miller Print Co. Opp Post Office Place, Melb. 21-11-10'. 3 colour - red, blue and black. 15 x 40 inches. National Film and Sound Archive, Canberra, item #350429. Illustrated Adamson, colour; Sabine, p.51, b/w.

http://www.uow.edu.au/~morgan/posters1.htm

http://aso.gov.au/titles/features/story-kelly-gang/

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #444 on: January 09, 2011, 09:13:10 PM »
Appreciate that but printed catalogs are totally stone age to me.  Right now Heritage blows away the competition for checking out past sales and viewing previously-sold posters.  It took me one minute to line up pre-1920 comedy posters in reverse price order:

Totally agree with you that the Heritage database is by far the easiest to use (don't know why Bruce needs two separate searches for price and images, or why thumbnails can't be shown on either one) - but by limiting yourself to the Heritage archives you are missing out on a world of images that they have not been able to bring to auction yet.  You will never get to see what a Mummy one-sheet looks like, or the beauty of an unfolded The Devil Is a Woman one-sheet, and you would be totally in the dark about how much better a German Metropolis 3-sheet is than a US insert.

And Reel Art is an absolute essential on every collector's shelf.  not only for the images contained inside, but for the valuable historical information it presents inside as well.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #445 on: January 09, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »
And Reel Art is an absolute essential on every collector's shelf.  not only for the images contained inside, but for the valuable historical information it presents inside as well.

Definitely recommend Reel Art as well.  There is something to be said about having poster resources "in your hand" vs e-resources!
Chris

Matt

« Reply #446 on: January 10, 2011, 12:20:03 AM »
Has anyone put 2 and 2 together by reading this.

In 2007 The Story of the Kelly Gang(1906) was inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register for being the world's first full-length feature film.

1906   The Story of the Kelly Gang   Daybill. 'Anderson's Olympia Theatre, Saturday Nov. 26. J.J. Miller Print Co. Opp Post Office Place, Melb. 21-11-10'. 3 colour - red, blue and black. 15 x 40 inches. National Film and Sound Archive, Canberra, item #350429. Illustrated Adamson, colour; Sabine, p.51, b/w.

http://www.uow.edu.au/~morgan/posters1.htm

http://aso.gov.au/titles/features/story-kelly-gang/

Bruce

« Reply #447 on: January 10, 2011, 08:13:56 AM »
"Right now Heritage blows away the competition for checking out past sales and viewing previously-sold posters.  It took me one minute to line up pre-1920 comedy posters in reverse price order:"

Agreed! But that is FINALLY about to change, as we are extremely close to unveiling our combined sales results and image archives!

It won't be perfect, but it will be light years ahead of where we were, and we will keep improving it.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #448 on: January 10, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »
An extremely rare US international Sting "art decor" OS is up for auction on Ebay.  Right now it's much less than it has auctioned for in the past:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #449 on: January 11, 2011, 12:02:10 PM »
So will you be bidding Mel?  I need to know who my competition is...
Chris