Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203557 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7750 on: January 29, 2017, 12:57:44 AM »
A different seller jumping into the game with a high opening bid. Can you blame them? Maybe they are a member here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/La-La-Land-Original-Australian-Double-Sided-One-Sheet-movie-poster-/162369437777?

Even with 8 watchers and a little under 2 days to go, until it recycles again (it is a BIN or Best offer), maybe folks are holding off, realizing that this isn't (an almost) $700.00 poster.  uhno

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7751 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:10 PM »
More along the lines of whether I need another 3 sheet, and if so, probably better to wait for the right one to come along.  I gave it some thought, but in the end it didn't seem right.

Fair play fella.  Hope the right one turns up....

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7752 on: February 01, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #7753 on: February 01, 2017, 08:22:58 PM »
Grading VG to Fine sounds dodgy. What is fine about it having pieces missing and a big water stain!
https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/drama/the-barefoot-contessa-united-artists-1954-one-sheet-27-x-41-drama/a/161706-51030.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Ava Gardner looks pretty "fine" to me!

Offline motsm

• Beginner
« Reply #7754 on: February 11, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
There is a linen backed, R81 Raiders of the Lost Ark poster on ebay right now, for $65 + shipping. Only major problem I see, is it has some uneven fading, mostly on the left side. It's high on my want list, and maybe I'm dumb to pass on it, but the fading is a bit much for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark-Linen-Backed-/322420805943

I was thinking it could be this poster, auctioned at emovieposter.com in 2015, what do you guys think?. http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/3592969.html

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7755 on: February 11, 2017, 08:39:09 PM »
There is a linen backed, R81 Raiders of the Lost Ark poster on ebay right now, for $65 + shipping. Only major problem I see, is it has some uneven fading, mostly on the left side. It's high on my want list, and maybe I'm dumb to pass on it, but the fading is a bit much for me.

I was thinking it could be this poster, auctioned at emovieposter.com in 2015, what do you guys think?. http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/3592969.html

Maybe fade it a bit on the right side to balance it up?

Offline motsm

• Beginner
« Reply #7756 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »

Maybe fade it a bit on the right side to balance it up?
So you're thinking two wrongs could make a right in this situation, heh?

It was listed a couple days ago at $75, I'm pretty surprised it didn't sell then.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7757 on: February 11, 2017, 09:03:34 PM »
It doesn't look the same to me:
- edge threads different
- one has wavy wrinkles at bottom
- one has touch up right edge by credits
- most telling is linen overhang is same all sides on one, bigger at bottom than sides on the other.

I think this is left side faded variant

Offline motsm

• Beginner
« Reply #7758 on: February 11, 2017, 09:13:30 PM »
It doesn't look the same to me:
- edge threads different
- one has wavy wrinkles at bottom
- one has touch up right edge by credits
- most telling is linen overhang is same all sides on one, bigger at bottom than sides on the other.

I think this is left side faded variant
Yeah, you are right about the linen size, they are different for sure.

By variant, are you thinking there was a run that printed with this faded look? Perhaps unintentionally?

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7759 on: February 12, 2017, 03:05:47 PM »
Sorry, just kidding, though seems strange the effect is on different ones

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #7760 on: February 12, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
I see it is ended now... did you bite on it?

Offline motsm

• Beginner
« Reply #7761 on: February 12, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »
I see it is ended now... did you bite on it?
No, it was tempting, as I don't have a huge poster budget, but I'd rather spend more and get one without the fading. Looks like the seller ended the listing manually though, so who knows if it actually sold.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #7762 on: February 12, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »
I'd rather spend more and get one without the fading.

Seems like the logical choice to me!  ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7763 on: February 12, 2017, 07:06:28 PM »
+1

Good decision, methinks, too. Between the rippled backing and the fading <---which can't be fixed, you're better off waiting for a copy that's correct from to to bottom.

-Jeff

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #7764 on: February 12, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
First, what makes it "R81"?

Second, the seller says "The color is slightly lighter on the left side which may be considered a defect". Is it really "slightly" lighter, and is there anyone who wouldn't "consider it a defect"?
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline motsm

• Beginner
« Reply #7765 on: February 12, 2017, 09:15:01 PM »
First, what makes it "R81"?
Yeah, I misspoke, was just thinking of the R82 version, it's the 1981 poster

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7766 on: February 12, 2017, 10:14:59 PM »
Second, the seller says "The color is slightly lighter on the left side which may be considered a defect". Is it really "slightly" lighter, and is there anyone who wouldn't "consider it a defect"?

It might be considered an enhancement if it brings the price down into someone's budget

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7767 on: February 27, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »
A different seller jumping into the game with a high opening bid. Can you blame them? Maybe they are a member here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/La-La-Land-Original-Australian-Double-Sided-One-Sheet-movie-poster-/162369437777?

This listing ended on 2/14/17 with no takers, looks like.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7768 on: March 06, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »
Im confused about what year this Belgian poster for Casablanca is actually from because the description is saying 2 different things:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4555724

First, the description states:

"We do not know exactly when it was released in Belgium, but it was released in France in 1947, and it is extremely likely that it was released in Belgium at the same time or very soon after, and this poster is from that first Belgian release."

But then further down, it states:

"...it is the small size Belgian that we have only seen on Belgian posters from during and right after World War II, but it is possible that the movie was re-released in the early 1950s, and that they printed the posters from the exact same plates, which would account for the smaller size. Please do not bid on this poster unless you can accept the uncertainty as to its year of origin."

So how can it be definitely said that it's from the first Belgian release, when there is also wording that suggests there is uncertainty about its year of origin? And if there is some question, why does the auction title say it's a first release from 1947? From the emp info, it reads like this could also be a possible, later RR.  dontknow.gif
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:08:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7769 on: March 06, 2017, 08:28:25 PM »
this again?
when do they learn?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7770 on: March 06, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
Im confused about what year this Belgian poster for Casablanca is actually from because the description is saying 2 different things:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4555724

First, the description states:

"We do not know exactly when it was released in Belgium, but it was released in France in 1947, and it is extremely likely that it was released in Belgium at the same time or very soon after, and this poster is from that first Belgian release."

But then further down, it states:

"...it is the small size Belgian that we have only seen on Belgian posters from during and right after World War II, but it is possible that the movie was re-released in the early 1950s, and that they printed the posters from the exact same plates, which would account for the smaller size. Please do not bid on this poster unless you can accept the uncertainty as to its year of origin."

So how can it be definitely said that it's from the first Belgian release, when there is also wording that suggests there is uncertainty about its year of origin? And if there is some question, why does the auction title say it's a first release from 1947? Could this also be a possible, later RR?  dontknow.gif

Seems to me he's hedging while being as transparent as possible, which everyone does with this poster.  Some claim the only true first release poster is printed on old recycled maps.  Others claim there are original first release posters not on maps -- on normal white paper.  Both appear to have exactly the same print quality/density/colors/fine printers info/etc... But some of these seemingly exact same posters also show up in early 50s distribution (known from the tax stamp cancelation dates).  Was there a second early 50s printing using the exact same plates?  Were there left-overs from the 46/47 release that were later sent out in the early 50s?  Or are all of these from the early 50s release and printed with the same plates used to print the handful of map-back posters that have surfaced (with nearly identical output)?  I don't think anyone will ever know for sure. 

Anyways, it's one of the best Casablanca images IMO -- wish it were printed in a larger size  8)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7771 on: March 06, 2017, 08:36:12 PM »
The spot of lipstick on her lower lip bothers me

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #7772 on: March 06, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »
The spot of lipstick on her lower lip bothers me

;D lol. I agree, it's kind of distracting.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7773 on: March 06, 2017, 09:54:23 PM »
Seems to me he's hedging while being as transparent as possible, which everyone does with this poster.  Some claim the only true first release poster is printed on old recycled maps.  Others claim there are original first release posters not on maps -- on normal white paper.  Both appear to have exactly the same print quality/density/colors/fine printers info/etc... But some of these seemingly exact same posters also show up in early 50s distribution (known from the tax stamp cancelation dates).  Was there a second early 50s printing using the exact same plates?  Were there left-overs from the 46/47 release that were later sent out in the early 50s?  Or are all of these from the early 50s release and printed with the same plates used to print the handful of map-back posters that have surfaced (with nearly identical output)?  I don't think anyone will ever know for sure. 

Anyways, it's one of the best Casablanca images IMO -- wish it were printed in a larger size  8)

Then it would seem to boil down to this: Do not call it a 1947 First release poster in the bold red title, and then speak about it possibly being a later RR down in the fine print.

Since this poster seems to be a bit of a mystery, shouldnt it be titled accordingly, rather than calling it something it might not be? There's no harm in that.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7774 on: March 06, 2017, 10:59:14 PM »

Then it would seem to boil down to this: Do not call it a 1947 First release poster in the bold red title, and then speak about it possibly being a later RR down in the fine print.

Since this poster seems to be a bit of a mystery, shouldnt it be titled accordingly, rather than calling it something it might not be? There's no harm in that.

I 1000% agree with Jeff.

if you don't know what it is, assigning a designation to it is false advertising

it totally destroys your own blabber that you're the only honest auction around.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------