Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203588 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #400 on: December 07, 2010, 10:34:50 PM »
I reckon they hardly ever match perfectly.
hard to see, but I cant get either of these 100%, close, but not spot on

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #401 on: December 07, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
Mismatches from my experience is due to:
- different panels soaked in the wheat paste for different times (the sheets expand the longer they are soaked)
- the direction of the fibres in the sheets. The sheets expand more in one direction than the other, so if the sheets dont have their fibres matching in the same direction, mismatch will occur unless this is factored in in the above soaking timings.

I think once the sheets are positioned on the backing, the sheets will maintain their relative position, one wont move against the other. You do have some flexibility to stretch the paper a little to align a bit better while it is still wet.

Thanks for clarifying 50s... I knew I read from Dario it was due to backing, but I remembered incorrectly as to which step. 

Bruce et al... I have no doubt that mismatches also happened at the printing stage.  I was just trying to point out that linen backing does have its drawbacks. 

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #402 on: December 08, 2010, 03:07:06 AM »
Another I've noticed about 3 sheets, 6 sheets etc is that sometimes the colours do not match from section to section. 

This can be very detrimental to the overall look of the poster.

I wonder if this is also a printer issue or if perhaps in some instances someone has found a missing section from another print run and/or a sun faded section and added to the other pieces...

Hi Chris, my restorer once told we, and I forgot his exact wording, something like, during a print run the last printings the colours are not as strong as the first as that is the time to apply the ink again to the plates. So one of the sheets may have come off the press while the ink was good and the other sheet likely was near the end of the run...

longdog

« Reply #403 on: December 08, 2010, 05:19:53 AM »
Hi Steve,

I was also told something similar and was also told to bear in mind that a 3-sheet would obviously be printed seperately (perhaps even on different machines), one for the larger and one for the smaller sections. If this was the case than quite probably the intensity of the inks would vary between the sheets (and machines) which is made even more apparent due to the size of the poster when matched together.

Paul.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #404 on: December 08, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »
All five or so of my multi-panel posters are "mismatched" to some extent - the color, size, etc. of the panels is somewhat different and noticeable.

Does anybody have a picture of a six sheet in a theater lobby?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #405 on: December 08, 2010, 08:14:15 AM »
Does anybody have a picture of a six sheet in a theater lobby?

Emovie matches the multi panel posters up pretty well.

Bruce

« Reply #406 on: December 08, 2010, 08:44:18 AM »
"All five or so of my multi-panel posters are "mismatched" to some extent"

When I said one in 50 are mis-matched, I meant severely mis-matched to where it is very distracting.

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #407 on: December 08, 2010, 10:15:01 AM »
Hi Chris, my restorer once told we, and I forgot his exact wording, something like, during a print run the last printings the colours are not as strong as the first as that is the time to apply the ink again to the plates. So one of the sheets may have come off the press while the ink was good and the other sheet likely was near the end of the run...

Interesting, thanks Steve.
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #408 on: December 08, 2010, 11:10:34 AM »
I'm curious -- is the tape used to tape these large, multi-part posters together removable? Or is it stuck on forever once it's applied?
 ron

It is my understanding that using acid-free tape will not damage the poster.  However, it should be removed by a professional.  I'm not sure if it needs to be softened with bestine first or what... but it probably means you shouldn't just try to tear it off.

By the way all, I'm not on an anti-linen crusade or anything.  I have several linen backed posters and will probably buy more if can't find the titles I want any other way.  However, I do think it should be used as a last resort and I will no longer be backing my posters for aesthetic reasons only.  This 6-sheet just triggered me as the seller didn't even back it for their own enjoyment (which I can begrudgingly understand).  At least let the buyer make up their own mind about it.  If this was a beat up copy that wouldn't present nicely to buyers anyway, I would be more forgiving... but this was by their accounts a NM unused poster!

With so many frauds and forgeries these days, the more posters we can keep unbacked the better in my opinion.  What is the old saying... once you go backed, you'll never go back.  ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #409 on: December 08, 2010, 01:08:22 PM »
Another thing you notice about large posters is the low printing resolution, which is intentional since they are meant to viewed from a distance, not close up.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #410 on: December 08, 2010, 03:58:56 PM »
I have a quite a few 6sht and bigger posters and I don't know why. I have no where to display them, and they are a sod when getting out for a look at them. 

Maybe it's just in the back of your mind you know that you've got them....... :-\
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #411 on: December 08, 2010, 04:07:59 PM »
Maybe it's just in the back of your mind you know that you've got them....... :-\

The majority of collectors are just like you, Paul.

If I didn't have space to display my posters, I'd probably exclusively collect lobby cards.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #412 on: December 08, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
The majority of collectors are just like you, Paul.

If I didn't have space to display my posters, I'd probably exclusively collect lobby cards.

I just had a funny thought of seeing your apartment with 7 lobby card frames in place of every 1-sheet frame you have!!!!   :o :o :o :o

How many 1-sheets do you have displayed now? 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #413 on: December 08, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »

I just had a funny thought of seeing your apartment with 7 lobby card frames in place of every 1-sheet frame you have!!!!   :o :o :o :o

How many 1-sheets do you have displayed now?  

72 frames, mostly one sheets.  What, are you suggesting that's weird or something?  Well, you know, like, that's just your opinion, man.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #414 on: December 09, 2010, 07:06:38 AM »
72 frames, mostly one sheets.  What, are you suggesting that's weird or something?  Well, you know, like, that's just your opinion, man.

My professional opinion is that its 5% weird and 95% cool!  8)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #415 on: December 09, 2010, 07:17:11 AM »
72 frames, mostly one sheets.  What, are you suggesting that's weird or something?  Well, you know, like, that's just your opinion, man.
The Dude abides.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #417 on: December 09, 2010, 12:10:59 PM »
I was borderline bidding on that Italian Way of the Dragon, but thought if Tang is I'll leave it.

Any thing you can tell me about this version, it is a 73 release, and the pic of Bruce is from Fist of Fury, but it is most definitely Way of.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #418 on: December 09, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »
The jump style is very common , its the chopping hand style thats a b***h to find.

The 1st issue 2sh/4shs may have been printed by Novograph and the pbs by Rotograph (thats the case with Scars of Dracula , same era)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #419 on: December 10, 2010, 11:41:51 AM »
Thanks for the info Tang, I used to be a collector of all things Bruce Lee. I stopped when I stopped teaching martial Arts, and drifted back to my first love, old Horror films. Though still have quite a lot of Bruce Lee items. 

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #420 on: December 10, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
The jump style is very common , its the chopping hand style thats a b***h to find.

The 1st issue 2sh/4shs may have been printed by Novograph and the pbs by Rotograph (thats the case with Scars of Dracula , same era)

If "bitch" is the worst thing you say on this forum, you'll be the new APF Saint Tang
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #421 on: December 12, 2010, 06:12:22 AM »
Am I missing something here??? these are for sale on Amazon for £3.99 or there abouts. this guy is selling for £100, and there is a bid on it!!!!  is the buyer just going to claim his double money back, or is this a genuine original poster.

Hope the link works I'm a bit rubbish at this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280599620115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_739wt_1141

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #422 on: December 12, 2010, 08:03:43 AM »
Am I missing something here??? these are for sale on Amazon for £3.99 or there abouts. this guy is selling for £100, and there is a bid on it!!!!  is the buyer just going to claim his double money back, or is this a genuine original poster.

Just another 25x39 reprint junking up the Ebay listings....

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #423 on: December 12, 2010, 10:14:45 PM »
Be honest, it has always been dead, as people may know I was banned, then rejoined after an apology, I gave another go, and quit after some shit that was going on, with some dick saying LIES and when myself and some others tried to say the TRUTH our posts were deleted, his remained. And I even think I gave it a 3rd go, when Andy put out a message on Mopo re no hard feelings.
I got nothing against the site - except, when people TRY to, with their own time, free, and their knowledge, tel the truth only to be edited/deleted/banned for information, that may be contrary to his paying members - or in one case regarding a poster valuable) Senior Peanut paid for.....
And also sending his stooges (or himself in disguise) to NS4 and posting the giant white JPG (cripes I saved that sucker somewhere) caused a shit load of my members computers to crash.
bah, its a joke.
BTW, dont know if you guys have, but in the early days at NS4 I got MANY emails from dealers wanting to pay for advertising, banners, sponsorship, etc etc, but the decision was made after the collapse of MPT, to NOT be involved in paid endorsment, we wanted free speach no chance of the owner/s (me and phil) to be swayed by the "HEY I PAID YOU $X AND YOU LET USER X TO SAY THAT ABOUT ME?"

So what I am saying is, while Andy should be able to run it however the freak he wants, I feel for the users who take ANY information from that site as the word, because there is a lot of lies, mistruths, deceptions, and also just ignorance (innocent) - its ok to have crooks as members, as long as the other side can STATE THEIR POSITION, buyer beware, but allow for them to make their own decision.

Anyway I have checked in maybe 3 or 4 times this year and learned exactly, NOTHING.

Would I pay for an advert? no. Although I know someone has said he has more hits via MF than NS4, but then we dont have sponsors, so maybe as a linking tool it works. dunno. It might be a peanut hitting links at home to provide the stats.

Ahh well, luckily, I know many people, like some, and end of the day, we can't all be friends, or agree, good luck, have fun, only advise is relax, if its for fun, if its business, he has done better than me, I never made a dime on NS4 - (yeah so who is the idiot?)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #424 on: January 02, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
Outstanding 1926 poster for The Black Pirate coming up at Heritage in March.  This one apparently has not been restored or LB'd: