Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203404 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7525 on: September 01, 2016, 01:53:40 PM »
I wrote to the seller.
With less than an hour to go, someone is throwing a lot of money into the garbage.

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #7526 on: September 01, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
£411 finished. Absolutely crazy. Don't know who a***e (695) is but considering the amount of feedback and if they only buy posters should know better considering they bid at the end.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7527 on: September 02, 2016, 07:10:20 AM »
So this has just popped up on Emovie. I used to own this but got a much better copy so sold it.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4360225

It'll be interesting to see how much the gent makes or loses on this.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7528 on: September 02, 2016, 07:44:01 AM »
Didn't know there were such things as English half sheets...?!

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7530 on: September 02, 2016, 09:14:04 AM »
As if by magic.  Thanks fella.

Mostly 50s, some 40s, latest being '62 - interesting.

Guess as they weren't produced for the Binds, I was never introduced to them.

Cheers.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7531 on: September 02, 2016, 09:31:08 AM »
That said, having just looked at the Campaign Books for Dr No, From Russia and Goldfinger, mention is made of Lobby cards that measure 22x28inches for the latter two films.

I have personally never seen examples of these.  The art is as per the quads.

So, did the UK call 'English Half Sheets' as Lobby Cards?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7533 on: September 02, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »
That said, having just looked at the Campaign Books for Dr No, From Russia and Goldfinger, mention is made of Lobby cards that measure 22x28inches for the latter two films.

I have personally never seen examples of these.  The art is as per the quads.

So, did the UK call 'English Half Sheets' as Lobby Cards?

If you sort Bruce's results by year the most recent examples of english 1/2 sheets were from 1962.  Total speculation -- maybe they killed the format after the FRWL and GF campaign books were printed, but before the posters were? 

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7534 on: September 03, 2016, 05:26:43 AM »
Yeah, I did exactly that and saw the '62 poster.  And that was what made me have a look at the Campaign books for the first three Bonds where I saw the 22x28 'Lobbies'.

So, it seems something was produced for Russia and Goldfinger, even if I have never knowingly seen them.

And it might just be a naming convention thing.  The way the UK call them Front of House stills, and the US call them Color Still Sets.

Does anyone have UK Campaign books from the film's of the 50's?  If so, the naming convention thrust could be corroborated.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7535 on: September 03, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »
isn't "half sheet" a term we use, but not the actual name? (as in look at even US pressbooks) they call them 22x28's, and sometimes 22x28 Lobby card.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7536 on: September 04, 2016, 03:32:53 AM »
Ah, cheers Ari.

Didn't think to look in my US Pressbooks....

Wonder where the term Half Sheets originated from then?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7537 on: September 07, 2016, 11:02:08 AM »
It is a sad thing when I end up Quoting myself, but it appears the extensively restored Hand Quad is now up at Ewbanks next month.  This spent some time on ebay hovering around $2500, and was then popped up for a BIN of $10k!  Which showed confidence, or something anyway...

https://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/20160907M2-lot-2047-James-Bond-Goldfinger-1964-British-Quad-film-poster-Style-B-artwork-by-Robert-Brownjohn-starring-Sean-Connery-directed-by-Guy-Hamilton-Eon-/-United-Artists-linen-backed-30-x-40-inc?arr=0&auction_id=284&box_filter=0&category=&department_id=&exclude_keyword=&export_issue=0&high_estimate=0&image_filter=0&keyword=&list_type=&lots_per_page=0&low_estimate=0&month=&page_no=29&paper_filter=0&search_type=&sort_by=&view=lot_detail&year=

This should probably go in the Post Auction thread, but since the trail exists on the Mid thread...

This massively restored and painted Goldfinger Hand quad ended up in going for £2300 hammer price at Ewbanks just now.

£2760 final price with presumably only £1840 going to the seller.

The seller had tried putting it out for a quick flip through Simon Dwyer at $10,000 but unsurprisingly, no one bit.

Reminds me of the bath I took with an equally heavily restored Dr No quad that had been just as heavily, and badly, restored.

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #7538 on: September 07, 2016, 12:05:57 PM »
Did you pick anything up? Got outbid on a couple of things and missed the boat on something I was watching for as got distracted. Gutted.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7539 on: September 07, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
Nope, nothing at all this time around.

I seem to be very near the end of what I want a collection to be, so without expanding the universe (into Inserts or some other), my updates will be few and far between.

I am here for everyone else's stories.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #7540 on: September 07, 2016, 01:54:24 PM »
I seem to be very near the end of what I want a collection to be

So how does that feel? I'm guessing the wallet is happy.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7541 on: September 07, 2016, 01:57:50 PM »
A bit frustrating really.

I like the searching, but the fact is, the last few bits will probably take up 90% of the effort.  And much searching now elicits zero results.

As you may see, I have two Wants threads that I update fairly regularly, and not very much has changed in many years...  Onwards.

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #7542 on: September 07, 2016, 03:27:02 PM »
I seem to be very near the end of what I want a collection to be, so without expanding the universe (into Inserts or some other), my updates will be few and far between.

I don't think I will ever get there. I started with I will just collect Bond and Star Wars only. That then changed into I will add a couple of 70/80s movies that I love. Which turned into I like this new film and the posters cool I will get that as well. Now I have a collection although not massive in size but is so far removed from what I originally started at I don't know where it will stop.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7543 on: September 07, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »
This was what I was afraid of, so I ring fenced the collection so it wouldn't spiral.

I have often thought about Hitchcock and maybe Clint but I just couldn't collect in the same way as I do for Bond as the interest is just not as great.  It would be collecting for the sake of collecting.  That said, the inserts, the DCs, and half sheets are beckoning, but I am resisting.

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #7544 on: September 23, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »
Guess what's back on the bay. The (heavily restored) Goldfinger quad, this quad had a bit of a journey started out on eBay then sold at recent Ewbanks auction for just over £2k now back on the bay for £5,750. Got 3 watchers as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLDFINGER-1964-original-British-quad-movie-poster-rare-type-B-JAMES-BOND-/112146495120

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7545 on: September 24, 2016, 05:51:06 AM »
Ha ha.

It is having a journey...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7546 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:20 AM »
I hate the fact that Emovie destroyed some great looking sets, I'm guessing in an attempt to make more money.  Why would you separate a set like Laura?  That set should stay together.  It's hard enough to put a set together, but you finally do, it's sad to see it go different places, as I'm sure this set and others will.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7547 on: October 05, 2016, 12:42:31 AM »
I hate the fact that Emovie destroyed some great looking sets, I'm guessing in an attempt to make more money.  Why would you separate a set like Laura?  That set should stay together.  It's hard enough to put a set together, but you finally do, it's sad to see it go different places, as I'm sure this set and others will.

T

T, it's likely all about the almighty $$, don't you think?

What would a complete Laura set go for these days? (And is more money likely to be made when selling the cards off singularly like this?)

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7548 on: October 05, 2016, 12:59:39 AM »
I don't know.  I think I bought mine for $1,200, but it's in mint condition.  This one is not.  We shall see.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7549 on: October 05, 2016, 04:45:34 AM »
$s and business endeavours aside, and following another thread that I contributed to that looks at lobby sets that are sold split or complete, what are the chances that in this day and age, someone who is looking to collect an entire set of Laura cards, does not already have a few in their possession?

Even if a set were sold complete, and if we agree with the above, all that would happen is that someone would shell out big bucks for the set for the remaining cards he needs, and Then have to sell the rest off.

The result would be the same.

But I agree that the emotion and beauty and allure of an entire set is now lost.