Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203757 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #325 on: November 13, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Well Stew it is clever because there are actually two "brides" in Bride of Frankenstein.

The value (perceived value is more accurate) is based on rarity (only known copy), subject matter and aesthetics.   

I think i will be dragging out the DVD to watch this classic more closely... ;)

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #326 on: November 13, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »
I think i will be dragging out the DVD to watch this classic more closely... ;)

Stew

Good idea Stew!  Thesiger really steals the film - he's just fantastic...but alas he has no bride ;)
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #327 on: November 13, 2010, 03:16:10 PM »
Good idea Stew!  Thesiger really steals the film - he's just fantastic...but alas he has no bride ;)

lol.. he doesn't want one  wynk

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #328 on: November 13, 2010, 07:30:26 PM »
Really, did they ever think they were going to come close to $717K?  Not based on past prices - these are the most expensive posters sold at H:

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #329 on: November 13, 2010, 07:48:35 PM »
Really, did they ever think they were going to come close to $717K?

No, but that wasn't up to them to decide.  The highest price paid (publicly) for a poster is still THE MUMMY 1sh that sold for $453,500 in '97.  If not for the reserve, the BoF teaser would've arguably broken that record.  I don't think there's any poster that would sell for 700K, but I could be wrong.  It's easy to say "this" or "that" poster should sell for that much, but until they do it's all speculation

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #330 on: November 13, 2010, 11:09:59 PM »
The only poster that might actually get over $700,000+ at this time is Metropolis (as others have said).
Chris

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #331 on: November 14, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »
The only poster that might actually get over $700,000+ at this time is Metropolis (as others have said).

There are at least two posters i am aware of that offers over $700,000 have been made on (but the current owner declined), there was also another private sale this year that would best any of the Heritage prices, but it was still not in the range that Todd was seeking for his Bride poster.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #332 on: November 14, 2010, 03:58:46 AM »

No he doesn't, but he revelled in dressing her, and doing her hair and make-up!!  ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #333 on: November 14, 2010, 08:08:58 AM »
If METROPOLIS sold for $690k, I am still surprised that Todd's BRIDE didn't set a new record.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4438948.stm

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #334 on: November 14, 2010, 12:46:25 PM »
There are at least two posters i am aware of that offers over $700,000 have been made on (but the current owner declined), there was also another private sale this year that would best any of the Heritage prices, but it was still not in the range that Todd was seeking for his Bride poster.

Can you state which posters they are?  Or will that give away the owner?
Chris

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #335 on: November 14, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
If METROPOLIS sold for $690k, I am still surprised that Todd's BRIDE didn't set a new record.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4438948.stm

I stand corrected

Bruce

« Reply #336 on: November 14, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
Always take those "I turned down a million" stories with a big grain of salt. It is funny how often those kind of buyers completely evaporate when they have the same opportunity to buy those items at an auction that requires cash payments.

It is an old trick to constantly say "I could have sold this for X" (some skyhigh number) so that when that item is actually offered, half of X looks like a bargain. Look how it worked on that Bride poster. It was offered for over a million dollars on eBay for so long that it started to seem like "the price", and you guys were thinking $700,000 was totally reasonable, and some of you even thought there was a "real" $575,000 bid.

There have only been a handful of posters that sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and many of them have been under somewhat dubious circumstances.

This hobby has a TON of "rooters", but very few people with serious cold hard cash. Try offering any of the 9 posters above for sale to dealers at half those prices, and see if you get any takers.

Bruce
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:22:00 PM by Bruce »

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #337 on: November 14, 2010, 03:23:13 PM »
WTF. This guy has seven auctions going with Peeping Tom quads as the picture though the title of the auction does not match. Additionally, the description on the page for each auction is for a Peeping Tom quad. All of his feedback is from private auctions.
Anyone know of this seller?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/bernal316/m.html
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

guest8

« Reply #338 on: November 14, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »
WTF. This guy has seven auctions going with Peeping Tom quads as the picture though the title of the auction does not match. Additionally, the description on the page for each auction is for a Peeping Tom quad. All of his feedback is from private auctions.
Anyone know of this seller?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/bernal316/m.html

It just looks like someones auto-listing got messed up .. If I were to guess Id say the auction titles are correct and everything else is wrong.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #339 on: November 14, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
Always take those "I turned down a million" stories with a big grain of salt. It is funny how often those kind of buyers completely evaporate when they have the same opportunity to buy those items at an auction that requires cash payments.

It is an old trick to constantly say "I could have sold this for X" (some skyhigh number) so that when that item is actually offered, half of X looks like a bargain. Look how it worked on that Bride poster. It was offered for over a million dollars on eBay for so long that it started to seem like "the price", and you guys were thinking $700,000 was totally reasonable, and some of you even thought there was a "real" $575,000 bid.

There have only been a handful of posters that sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and many of them have been under somewhat dubious circumstances.

This hobby has a TON of "rooters", but very few people with serious cold hard cash. Try offering any of the 9 posters above for sale to dealers at half those prices, and see if you get any takers.

Bruce

In general I agree with everything Bruce has said above, and there are always examples of people who will make a crazy offer on an item and then are thankful later when that offer was declined as they really couldn't afford it to start with.  Since the style D Bride of Frankenstein sold for "only" $335K (and that price was double what the style C had sold for just a few years ago), it seemed like extremely hopeful thinking to believe that the style E Bride could again double the previous top Bride price so quickly.

HOWEVER... at least one of the offers I am thinking about was made by the purchaser of the Flying Down to Rio one-sheet, and was a legitimate $750K offer made with cash in hand for what most would consider to be one of the top pieces in the hobby and was turned down.

As for dealers not paying half of the above prices on any of the nine posters pictured, I will state that I can have a cashier's check ready and waiting for at least five of those pieces (Not interested in Babe Ruth, Flying Down to Rio or either of the Black Cat pieces) if anyone wishes to sell them for half those prices.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Bruce

« Reply #340 on: November 14, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »
Sean

You are one of the few dealers who DOES "put their money where their mouth is" (and there are some other notable ones, but not many) and that is surely why you continually have new top quality acquisitions. But far too many other dealers operate on the "buy for pennies, sell for skyhigh prices" philosophy that does nothing to help collectors have confidence that their purchases will hold their value over time.

Bruce

• Post-aholic
« Reply #341 on: November 14, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »

As for dealers not paying half of the above prices on any of the nine posters pictured, I will state that I can have a cashier's check ready and waiting for at least five of those pieces (Not interested in Babe Ruth, Flying Down to Rio or either of the Black Cat pieces) if anyone wishes to sell them for half those prices.

and I have Sean's cash in Sean's hand to do the same

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #343 on: November 20, 2010, 06:08:46 PM »
Jeezum crow...that's pricey....  <OO

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #344 on: November 20, 2010, 06:33:17 PM »
2.1M for a lightbox?!  You've gotta be fucking kidding me.  Good thing the company is Discount Home Theater Lightboxes otherwise the cost would be outrageous  eyeroll

• Post-aholic
« Reply #345 on: November 20, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »
2.1M for a lightbox?!  You've gotta be fucking kidding me.  Good thing the company is Discount Home Theater Lightboxes otherwise the cost would be outrageous  eyeroll

the guy must be on dope, and booze, and meth, and peyote as well as some other drugs that are yet known to man

he must also be talking Japanese Yen

I bought a theatre-used lightbox in july at a local auction for the princely sum of $5
damn thing must weigh 75 lbs though

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #346 on: November 20, 2010, 06:53:05 PM »
and by the way, a "4 bulb upgrade" is included

-------

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #347 on: November 20, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »
and by the way, a "4 bulb upgrade" is included

Which justifies the asking price, I'm sure   

• Post-aholic
« Reply #348 on: November 20, 2010, 07:17:48 PM »
Which justifies the asking price, I'm sure   

of course.. a "three bulb upgrade" only costs $750k

-------

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #349 on: November 20, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »
of course.. a "three bulb upgrade" only costs $750k

Screw the BoF teaser, I need to get me one of those  :P