Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203655 times)

Dr Hackenbush

Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #300 on: November 11, 2010, 05:08:51 PM »
Just like every auction house, HA wanted a marquee piece to attract attention.  They get the BoF teaser and, I would figure, TF got the seller's premium waived and would get a percentage of the BP.  That's usually how HA does things when a cosignor gives them hundred of thousands of dollars worth of material (whether it be one piece or 10,000)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #301 on: November 11, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »
Read the * text: "*Reserve Not Met. A reserve has been posted on this lot, but no bids have met the reserve. The next bid will meet the reserve."  That contractually binds them to accept the next bid which is clearly stated:

Minimum Next Bid: $600,000 ($717,000.00 w/BP)

I do believe you are correct Mel.  I have been trying to find the post I was referring to (I believe it was on MoPo) without success and I have read through all the fine print I could find on HA.com.   I can find nothing to support my earlier statement.   In fact Grey stated on MoPo:  

"Concerning reserves or opening bids on Heritage’s website and auction,there is no mystery. The reason reserves are not posted until 7 days before the auction is that we don’t know that all reserves are in from our consignors until that time. Contractually the consignor has until 10 days before the live auction to enter a reserve, though they cannot enter one above the low estimate printed in the catalog or online. In far more instances we will remove or lower a reserve in our Signature auction than raise or even enter a reserve at all in the movie poster auctions"

and

"Whenever a reserve is posted on any lot, Heritage, by design, increases the current bid to the increment immediately below the reserve. This takes place usually 7 days before the end of the auction for Signature Auctions"

But then I ask:  is it still trully a reserve auction when consignors are allowed to bid on their own items (so long as they pay the appropriate buyer's premium)?  ;)
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #302 on: November 12, 2010, 04:15:34 PM »
Frankenstein did not make the minimum....

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #303 on: November 12, 2010, 04:29:44 PM »

Wow, imagine that  eyeroll

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #304 on: November 12, 2010, 04:38:30 PM »

I think many doubted it ever would.  I wonder what the REAL top bid was (i.e. before Heritage bumped it up to just below the reserve as per their policy)?
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #305 on: November 12, 2010, 04:39:28 PM »
I thought the real top bid was $575K... If so, what kind of cheapskate wouldn't pony up the last $25K to get it!  ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #306 on: November 12, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »
I was half following the auction and seemed like many posters were coming in very low.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #307 on: November 12, 2010, 05:00:13 PM »
I thought the real top bid was $575K... If so, what kind of cheapskate wouldn't pony up the last $25K to get it!  ;D

You might be right Harry.  Heritage states their bid increments are $50,000 from $500,000-$999,999 - so if they bumped it so the next bid would make the reserve that would have placed it at $550,000. 

So is who on the forum is going to make an offer or use the buy it now at $717,000 with BP?  ;)

Mel, trade in those Bond posters and your chances of ever finding a wife and get busy!
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #308 on: November 12, 2010, 05:12:41 PM »
I was half following the auction and seemed like many posters were coming in very low.

I for one am quite happy about that as I won something today!  Not sure if I'm going to spill the beans just yet... I think it needs to be on the wall first for full effect.  Stay tuned... it will be a few weeks/months.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #309 on: November 12, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
I Stay tuned... it will be a few weeks/months.

That is far too long for the information-age, instant news-spoiled internet generation to wait!  

PS (It has just better NOT be another Bogart!)   :-X
Chris

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #310 on: November 12, 2010, 05:27:20 PM »
Alien advance???
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #311 on: November 12, 2010, 06:00:28 PM »
You might be right Harry.  Heritage states their bid increments are $50,000 from $500,000-$999,999 - so if they bumped it so the next bid would make the reserve that would have placed it at $550,000. 

So is who on the forum is going to make an offer or use the buy it now at $717,000 with BP?  ;)

Mel, trade in those Bond posters and your chances of ever finding a wife and get busy!

I'm already in discussion to buy it on time payments. I'm trying to see if I can pay $500 a month with no interest. The sticking point is that I want the poster to be on my wall after I make the first payment so I know what I'm paying for

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #312 on: November 12, 2010, 06:39:55 PM »
That is far too long for the information-age, instant news-spoiled internet generation to wait!  

PS (It has just better NOT be another Bogart!)   :-X

Patience is a virtue or some such bullshit. Don't worry, this one is going up soon... I'm already making calls about framing...

And no, it's not a Bogie and it's not an Alien Adv.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #313 on: November 12, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
I'm already in discussion to buy it on time payments. I'm trying to see if I can pay $500 a month with no interest. The sticking point is that I want the poster to be on my wall after I make the first payment so I know what I'm paying for

But are you paying with the same virtual $$$ offered on NSFGE?   ;)
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #314 on: November 12, 2010, 08:38:02 PM »
But are you paying with the same virtual $$$ offered on NSFGE?   ;)

no sir, I'm offering real American cash, although it's debatable which currency is more stable

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2010, 08:11:56 AM »
I am stunned that a rich Hollywood filmmaker didn't buy this....if I was a multi-millionaire, it would be hanging on my wall right about now...

Bruce

« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2010, 08:40:28 AM »
"I thought the real top bid was $575K... If so, what kind of cheapskate wouldn't pony up the last $25K to get it!"

If there had been a real bidder at anywhere near that amount, they never would have let him get away. This was a no bid auction with a hope and a prayer that some eccentric billionaire would take a great liking to this poster. Didn't happen.

Bruce

Bruce

« Reply #317 on: November 13, 2010, 08:43:24 AM »
"I was half following the auction and seemed like many posters were coming in very low."

This is indicative of an auction with reserves set at a retail price. The ones that sell have a single bidder who pays the seller's reserve (i.e. his asking price). It was more of a retail offering of expensive posters than an auction (in auctions, two or more bidders determine the final price by bidding against each other).

Bruce

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #318 on: November 13, 2010, 09:40:30 AM »
"I was half following the auction and seemed like many posters were coming in very low."

This is indicative of an auction with reserves set at a retail price. The ones that sell have a single bidder who pays the seller's reserve (i.e. his asking price). It was more of a retail offering of expensive posters than an auction (in auctions, two or more bidders determine the final price by bidding against each other).

Bruce
I haven't bought from Heritage for a long time now.  The last run-in I had, their customer service person was so offensive and condescending that I couldn't get over it.  I think that encounter was a push in the right direction, though, away from things like this, Bruce, though I didn't often buy at the signature auctions.  I haven't missed it.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #319 on: November 13, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »
This is what happens when you and/or the consignor price items too high:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »
Anybody going into battle for the third session at 1pm EST?  They go by so fast - gotta be quick on the draw.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
Re: oceans 11 insert $10,755.00
« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2010, 01:58:15 PM »
http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7029&Lot_No=83525&Lot_Id_No=80003

Makes me feel like a chump for selling the few that I had for $3500 to $4000 each.

These generally auction for under $2000.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #322 on: November 13, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »
$11,000 for an Ocean's 11 insert?!  mesmrized
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #323 on: November 13, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »
I am stunned that a rich Hollywood filmmaker didn't buy this....if I was a multi-millionaire, it would be hanging on my wall right about now...

I would be interested to know,if the high price tag for this poster is in regards to rareity,or does it have something to do with the subject matter as far as casting is concerned?
The poster for me seems to be asking the question who could possibly be Frankensteins bride??
If the intent was to stir up anticipation for the sequel it scores ten out of ten.

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #324 on: November 13, 2010, 02:37:49 PM »
Well Stew it is clever because there are actually two "brides" in Bride of Frankenstein.

The value (perceived value is more accurate) is based on rarity (only known copy), subject matter and aesthetics.   
Chris