Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203803 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7000 on: September 18, 2015, 02:15:07 AM »
Yeah.. when it comes to the moderns...many want their posters to be as close to mint as possible.

Not as close to mint... just mint, period.  Any US poster post 1985 should be rolled and mint.  I do not buy any Good to Very Good posters from Bruce post 1985.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline filmposter.net

• Beginner
    • Galerie filmposter.net
« Reply #7001 on: September 18, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
This looks to be a slightly resized (reduced) image of a WC for the the 1939 Bette Davis movie, Jezebel. It is described as being 11x17 inches. It's too small for a standard WC (14x22) and too large for a midget WC (8x14). And with an asking price of $499.99, and advertised in the "Original" section, it sure seems like the seller might be trying to dupe someone and make some quick, getaway cash.  >:(  And the back of the piece looks too minty white, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141743869886?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's quite obviously a MasterPrint reproduction. The seller probably thinks it's real. Did you take the time to tell about this?
“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd.” ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7002 on: September 18, 2015, 01:35:20 PM »
I wrote the seller, who politely, but with determination, said they felt it was real.

I even sent them links from HA and LAMP, that discussed movie poster sizes, that were made back in the day. Trying to show them that nothing was made in the 11x17 size.

The item is still listed on the bay, described as genuine.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7003 on: September 18, 2015, 02:13:08 PM »
Have to say I've been a bit disappointed in the conditions of a lot of the modern posters (speaking of the rolled 80's and newer ones) Bruce has had up for auction lately.  Since most aren't that rare, if it's not in Very Good to Fine or better, there's really no point, at least to me, in bidding.  A lot of good to very good and worse the past month or so....bleh.

With eMovie, their grading on newer stuff is much stricter than almost anywhere.  On a lot of these moderns, they are in near perfect condition, and many only have a few minor dings, tiny amount of edge wear, etc.  It's the kind of thing one would have to really look for just to see these very minor issues, and of course, it's just the kind of wear that one would expect from handling. Ultimately, eMovie definitely errs on the side of caution with grading, especially on the newer material.

In the current Thursday auction, there are a few one sheets that I received directly from the distributor, and decided to send them off as I have very little storage space.  They are in the exact condition I received them in, and eMovie graded them "good" and "good-very good."  They don't even list all the minor wear on the newer stuff like that, as it's standard for material to be in that condition.  In my experience, it's exceptionally rare, even with the newer stuff, to receive something in "near mint" condition, and it's understandable why those often command a premium for their exceptional condition.

Mirosae

« Reply #7004 on: September 18, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »
With eMovie, their grading on newer stuff is much stricter than almost anywhere.

Agree, although i do think they are stritc  with any posters (new or vintage). I remember when I bought a WC from eMovie described as "good" . I decided to get it and was surprised to see it in person as its condition looked better than described. In fact I really struggled to find all the described issues. To this day I think it is one of my best posters.
Needless to say that I welcome that sort of descriptions.

Offline filmposter.net

• Beginner
    • Galerie filmposter.net
« Reply #7005 on: September 19, 2015, 08:48:08 AM »
I wrote the seller, who politely, but with determination, said they felt it was real.

I even sent them links from HA and LAMP, that discussed movie poster sizes, that were made back in the day. Trying to show them that nothing was made in the 11x17 size.

The item is still listed on the bay, described as genuine.  :-\

I just sent them another message and this link:

http://www.autographworld.com/masterprints/show2.asp?item=01443

If they still keep it on, they are indeed crooks.
“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd.” ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7006 on: September 19, 2015, 10:01:11 AM »
With eMovie, their grading on newer stuff is much stricter than almost anywhere.  On a lot of these moderns, they are in near perfect condition, and many only have a few minor dings, tiny amount of edge wear, etc.  It's the kind of thing one would have to really look for just to see these very minor issues, and of course, it's just the kind of wear that one would expect from handling. Ultimately, eMovie definitely errs on the side of caution with grading, especially on the newer material.

In the current Thursday auction, there are a few one sheets that I received directly from the distributor, and decided to send them off as I have very little storage space.  They are in the exact condition I received them in, and eMovie graded them "good" and "good-very good."  They don't even list all the minor wear on the newer stuff like that, as it's standard for material to be in that condition.  In my experience, it's exceptionally rare, even with the newer stuff, to receive something in "near mint" condition, and it's understandable why those often command a premium for their exceptional condition.

It's really not that hard, Brandon.  Dale does it.  Consistently.  I wish he had more inventory when it comes to newer stuff, because it forces me to look elsewhere and 99% of sellers do not understand what mint means, even though they list their gear as mint.  I return or trash posters more often than not for poor handling or bad packaging.  I don't want any marks of any kind on my posters, and I sometimes think that Bruce's grading is not strict enough.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7007 on: September 19, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »
It's really not that hard, Brandon.  Dale does it.  Consistently.  I wish he had more inventory when it comes to newer stuff, because it forces me to look elsewhere and 99% of sellers do not understand what mint means, even though they list their gear as mint.  I return or trash posters more often than not for poor handling or bad packaging.  I don't want any marks of any kind on my posters, and I sometimes think that Bruce's grading is not strict enough.

T

Someone like Dale may have a good connection, with fewer middle men.  A lot of the stuff that eMovie gets has probably been from collectors, thus there are probably more middle men.  Of course, the additional handling, and shipping (often times with less than perfect packaging), causes a little damage.  Even when I have acquired stuff from the distributor, which is likely only one person between the printer and my humble abode, it's almost always less than "mint."

For people who are really concerned with their gear being in near mint condition, the perfect venue would be someone who acquires stuff directly from the printer, completely bypassing any middle men, and assuming their packaging and shipping were done with care, much of it would be closer to perfect condition.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:03:54 PM by Neo »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7008 on: September 20, 2015, 03:48:45 AM »
I'm with Neo on this. The fellow who gets my new stuff has had posters arrive to him in damaged condition, and not through bad packing or Postal damage. He opened a newly arrived tube in front of me once only to find all three posters were torn...

If one knew the printers where posters printed up, that would be the place to get them..  I'm not saying every poster that ends up at a Cinema is in bad condition, just it would be less likely to have been damaged if it was direct from a Printers. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7009 on: September 20, 2015, 04:35:13 AM »
I'm with Neo on this. The fellow who gets my new stuff has had posters arrive to him in damaged condition, and not through bad packing or Postal damage. He opened a newly arrived tube in front of me once only to find all three posters were torn...

If one knew the printers where posters printed up, that would be the place to get them..  I'm not saying every poster that ends up at a Cinema is in bad condition, just it would be less likely to have been damaged if it was direct from a Printers. 

So true, Paul. Less sets of hands touching or packaging them, sorting etc means they are closer to mint, which = "hot off the presses."

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7010 on: September 20, 2015, 04:55:22 PM »
Coming in Nov at HA!   faint2.gif  bed1

Im sure this may go for a pretty penny.

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/coming-soon-/p/7113-47001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:00:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7011 on: September 21, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »
Wow! I can't imagine much else will top Jezebel.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7012 on: September 27, 2015, 12:29:00 AM »
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 12:32:06 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7013 on: September 27, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »
That Bardot is a delight!
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7015 on: September 30, 2015, 12:35:32 AM »
This one's for you, Ari. I know how you feel about these kinds of "PP" posters!   ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191704142655?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:39:40 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7016 on: September 30, 2015, 01:32:33 AM »
Yikes, thanks
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7017 on: September 30, 2015, 01:40:59 AM »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #7018 on: September 30, 2015, 02:43:58 PM »
OMG..... OMG... !!!!! What a feast is coming up for auction... donations accepted at  #giveit2Rosa.com

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7019 on: September 30, 2015, 03:55:38 PM »
OMG..... OMG... !!!!! What a feast is coming up for auction... donations accepted at  #giveit2Rosa.com
[/img]

giveittorosa.com = NSFW

Mirosae

« Reply #7020 on: September 30, 2015, 04:11:12 PM »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7021 on: September 30, 2015, 09:27:08 PM »
Rosa, are you talking about the beautiful Casablanca?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:28:01 PM by crowzilla »
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7022 on: September 30, 2015, 11:09:15 PM »
Finally!!! clap clap clap

Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7023 on: September 30, 2015, 11:17:11 PM »
That is One heck of a beautiful stone litho!! And looks to be in incredible condition.

jawdrop is right!!

clap clap
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:17:53 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7024 on: September 30, 2015, 11:37:54 PM »
Finally!!! clap clap clap

That's some precode gorgeousness right there. Yowza.