Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203565 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6800 on: June 16, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
Not close enough.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6801 on: June 20, 2015, 01:22:34 AM »
Here's one for Dirty Dancing fans

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:23:01 AM by 50s »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6802 on: June 20, 2015, 01:35:03 AM »
WOOF!

wynk

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #6803 on: June 20, 2015, 07:21:54 PM »
Here's one for Dirty Dancing fans

Thanks. I will join the fan club tomorrow. First thing :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6804 on: June 21, 2015, 12:19:26 AM »
I am more of a Johnny Castle fan
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6805 on: June 21, 2015, 01:10:58 AM »
I am more of a Johnny Castle fan

I KNEW it.....

notworthy.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 03:36:45 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6807 on: June 21, 2015, 03:37:09 AM »
Only a BIN of $10,0000.00 for this insert.   faint2.gif

That sure is a lot of noughts

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6808 on: June 21, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »
What do y'all think about this one for The Matrix?   http://auctions.emovieposter.com/bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=3891211

It's 27 1/2" x 39 1/4", the credits on the lower edge looks kinda disproportionate to how a theater one sheet would look, which makes it look a little "off."

Here's the description:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:31:22 AM by Neo »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6809 on: June 21, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »
I don't believe it is legit, but then again I don't believe 99% of this stuff is legit.  I own a bunch of mock ups that I got directly from studios I worked at and they are unique, 1/1, always on foam boards for presentation.  They were never printed because they were all rejected.  The only time I have heard of a mock up being printed is when a WB executive that I personally talked to printed 200 Schindler's List poster at Saul Bass' request.  He gave Bass half and kept the other half.  Otherwise, they do not get printed, officially that is.  Someone can always steal the design that has been left behind and print a bunch of posters at the studio.  I could have done it back then.  Does that make it real?  I don't think so, but others do.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #6810 on: June 21, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »
The original Matrix website had unused designs for the film's poster on one of it's pages. I downloaded them all, this one included. It wasn't of sufficient quality to make a convincing print though.

With these things it's always about trusted provenance which is an incredibly hard thing to get. Unfortunately these auctions rarely come with it.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6811 on: June 21, 2015, 11:16:14 AM »
The original Matrix website had unused designs for the film's poster on one of it's pages. I downloaded them all, this one included. It wasn't of sufficient quality to make a convincing print though.

With these things it's always about trusted provenance which is an incredibly hard thing to get. Unfortunately these auctions rarely come with it.

Exactly.  But it doesn't seem to bother a lot of people who will spend thousands of $$$ to acquire pieces like this.  The same goes with signatures.  People want to believe, and if it makes them happy, more power to them.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6812 on: June 21, 2015, 11:22:10 AM »
Good info., T and SJ.  

I agree, that provenance is always good with this kind of thing.  Of course, people can draw their own conclusions, although in many cases, whether they're factual is difficult to prove or disprove.

I don't believe it is legit, but then again I don't believe 99% of this stuff is legit.  I own a bunch of mock ups that I got directly from studios I worked at and they are unique, 1/1, always on foam boards for presentation.  They were never printed because they were all rejected.  The only time I have heard of a mock up being printed is when a WB executive that I personally talked to printed 200 Schindler's List poster at Saul Bass' request.  He gave Bass half and kept the other half.  Otherwise, they do not get printed, officially that is.  Someone can always steal the design that has been left behind and print a bunch of posters at the studio.  I could have done it back then.  Does that make it real?  I don't think so, but others do.

T

The mock up dealios sound cool.  Do you have photos of them on your website, and a special section for them?

That is interesting how would someone could steal the design and go to the studio and print a bunch of posters.  Do you mean they would just steal a high resolution image, and go somewhere like a fancy Kinko's?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:43:24 AM by Neo »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6813 on: June 21, 2015, 11:47:04 AM »
No, I mean studio employees.  Most mock-ups are left behind and it's extremely easy to get hold of one.  Just walk in the room and grab it.  Or get someone in advertizing to send you a jpeg.  Who's gonna know?  Studios also have large printers.  Enough said.  Bruce has sold a lot of "unique" posters over the year.  I don't trust any of them, but that's from my own experience, which is, my own.  At the end of the day, I don't really care what other people do with their money.  Like I said, if it makes them happy...

And no, I don't show them on my website.  A lot were given to me, but I still don't know if I have the right to own them.

T
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:48:31 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #6814 on: June 21, 2015, 02:41:30 PM »
Seeing the username of the high bidder I imagine this could do very well. I actually quite like this one and as much as you can tell from the supersize image, printing looks good.

I agree that Bruce had sold a fair share of these kinds of items. Maybe he has a good source who, for the same reason as T can't show his mock ups, isn't willing to make full disclosure. Who knows, I'm sure we all have a good idea of what we're bidding on at the end of the day.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6815 on: June 21, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »
And if, by some chance, it is fan created, as bruce offers as one possibility, that's some hefty coin for something like that.

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6816 on: June 21, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
There's all sorts of variations of that image on the internet.
I would love to know just what Bruce has there....

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6817 on: June 21, 2015, 03:19:39 PM »
Seeing the username of the high bidder I imagine this could do very well. I actually quite like this one and as much as you can tell from the supersize image, printing looks good.

I agree that Bruce had sold a fair share of these kinds of items. Maybe he has a good source who, for the same reason as T can't show his mock ups, isn't willing to make full disclosure. Who knows, I'm sure we all have a good idea of what we're bidding on at the end of the day.

If there were good provenance on this one, I'm sure the description would have included something to that effect.  Several concept posters that eMovie has sold in the past had that as part of their descriptions.

And if, by some chance, it is fan created, as bruce offers as one possibility, that's some hefty coin for something like that.

Yep.

A few things look a little off to me; the odd placement/size of the credits, the overall darkness of it, etc.  Although there may never be a definitive answer on this one, it just has more of a "fan art" vibe, IMO.

Anyway, it's up to $310 now.  It will be interesting to see the hammer price.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6818 on: June 21, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »
Bruce has the advantage of knowing who his consignors are and their credibility. I think he has some doubts as to the background story here and I agree that the placement of the credits is odd. So I won't be bidding.

Mark

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6819 on: June 21, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »
Hammer price: $802  :o
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:28:12 PM by Neo »

Mirosae

« Reply #6820 on: June 21, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »
Hammer price: $802  :o

Good lord.

Im in the wrong business.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6821 on: June 21, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »
When Bruce says: "I'm not sure..."  I RUN!!!

T
My Personal Collection

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #6822 on: June 21, 2015, 05:13:53 PM »
Well the design isn't done by a fan that's for sure. The credits being odd is just the way it's designed. If it's fan printed it then that's a different matter but I don't think it is.

I think sometimes Bruce does make mistakes with his listings but he did give this one a caveat.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6823 on: June 21, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »
Hammer price: $802  :o

YOWZA!! and for something with a few questions about it.

jawdrop

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6824 on: June 21, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »
Well the design isn't done by a fan that's for sure. The credits being odd is just the way it's designed. If it's fan printed it then that's a different matter but I don't think it is.

I think sometimes Bruce does make mistakes with his listings but he did give this one a caveat.

Was it one of the designs on the original The Matrix website?  It would be cool if you share those designs here, in the Unused Concept Art thread.

Regarding the credits, I was just saying that most of the concept posters I've seen have credits and all that are much closer to the final product.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:47:02 PM by Neo »