Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203579 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6075 on: September 28, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »
If it is the copy that was bought for $101+K, in 2012, that certainly is a price reduction.

I seem to recall that copy went to the MPAA or something?  Or perhaps they had the only known copy prior to Berwick?  Anyways, I do think the $100,000+ copy may have gone to an institution (would need to check the old threads).

More likely it is just the "hey this just has to be worth $30,000 more than it was in March because obviously no one knew about it then and now I will be generous enough to offer it"   eyeroll

Or like many "sellers" he is just showing it off on eBay with no real intention of selling.
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6076 on: September 28, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
This collector has the 2nd largest collection of Best Picture winning OS, next to the Academy. And in the youtube video link he posts on the auction page, he indicated that the whole collection was up for sale (and was also listed on ebay) for $1M, back in 2008.

It's interesting to hear him speak about it.

<a href="http://youtube.com/v/AyZWVMuCxHI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://youtube.com/v/AyZWVMuCxHI</a>

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6077 on: September 28, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »
And then, to see what bruce sold a copy of the US OS for... granted it was back in Dec, 1992... $16,500.00

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/11508698.html

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #6078 on: September 28, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »
This collector has the 2nd largest collection of Best Picture winning OS, next to the Academy. And in the youtube video link he posts on the auction page, he indicated that the whole collection was up for sale (and was also listed on ebay) for $1M, back in 2008.

It's interesting to hear him speak about it.

<a href="http://youtube.com/v/AyZWVMuCxHI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://youtube.com/v/AyZWVMuCxHI</a>

John Ford ' s How Green was my valley is the poster he has on show for the interview. I will give him points for that ( luv John Ford)

That aside...he is selling because he wants to share. ..well he can always donate them to my charity  Giveit2Rosa.com
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:39:51 PM by Mirosae »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6079 on: September 28, 2014, 04:41:45 PM »
Might want to get http://giveit2rosa.org if you are looking for donations :)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #6080 on: September 28, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6081 on: September 29, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
This guy has a bunch of vintage, commercial "personality" posters for various starlets, models, cheerleaders, etc.  8)

http://www.ebay.com/usr/trenchlessinvt

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6082 on: September 29, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
I must say I will never understand why a buyer who is now a seller thinks the item they bought is now worth $30,000 more than they paid

I must say I will never understand why anyone cares, and why anyone would choose to piss on Doug's listing

I must also say I will never understand why people then turn around and ask "why don't we get more members on this (or any other) forum"

not that I'm trying to stir anything up, I just find these things rather silly and rather humorous at the same time.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6083 on: September 29, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
If it is the copy that was bought for $101+K, in 2012, that certainly is a price reduction.

no, it's the other copy.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #6084 on: September 29, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
If it is the same Cimarron (and not the 1st one that sold for just over $100,000) I must say I will never understand why a buyer who is now a seller thinks the item they bought is now worth $30,000 more than they paid 6 months down the road.  Likely anyone who was willing to pay $78,000 for it would have done so at Heritage's auction.

There are lots of things that could go into that equation: Venue and timing are two that immediately come to mind.

Many old timers are familiar with our dear-departed "Drak666". Well in 2004 Heritage sold a Frankenstein 1-sheet for $189K.  A couple of short months later Drak purchased that poster from the buyer (who was a dealer) for an amount well over $30K plus the purchase price. Heritage of course still offered time payments (and in fact the dealer was time-paying the Frankenstein purchase), so I asked him why he didn't purchase it straight from Heritage as he certainly was aware of the sale.
"Timing."

We had another example on our own boards here not long ago from Silence and his regret over not being able to purchase a Gold Diggers when he wanted to as he had just bought a 50-Foot Woman 30sheet.

And then there is the Metropolis poster that failed to sell at a Christie's auction and then sold after, and many more examples.
Never propose to know the insides of another collector's wallet or their thought process.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6085 on: September 29, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »
I must say I will never understand why anyone cares, and why anyone would choose to piss on Doug's listing

I must also say I will never understand why people then turn around and ask "why don't we get more members on this (or any other) forum"

not that I'm trying to stir anything up, I just find these things rather silly and rather humorous at the same time.

What a surprise that you have a contrarian view Rich.  Have you ever agreed with anyone other than Sean?  :-*

You're a business man and a collector Rich, what is your perspective on the logic of pricing something $30,000 more than it was purchased for at a highly visible and no doubt competitive auction 6 months later?  Or is it simply "Doug can do whatever he wishes and no one should care"?  For the record, underneath it all, I really do not give two shits what Doug or anyone else tries to do in terms of selling their precious wares.  But this is an auction discussion thread and the logic as displayed in Doug's listing (and many, many like it) seems flawed to me so why not bring up that opinion for discussion.

If someone cannot stand reading a thread such as this about the thought processes leading someone to ask for a $30,000 profit in 6 months, perhaps APF is not the best place for them in the first place.  I, for one, am certainly not someone who has bemoaned a lack of members.  Those who have the desire and commitment to participate will do so regardless.  If 'potential members' are scared off by an occasional dearth of ignorance and rainbows so be it...  
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6086 on: September 29, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »
What a surprise that you have a contrarian view Rich.  Have you ever agreed with anyone other than Sean?  :-*

You're a business man and a collector Rich, what is your perspective on the logic of pricing something $30,000 more than it was purchased for at a highly visible and no doubt competitive auction 6 months later?  Or is it simply "Doug can do whatever he wishes and no one should care"?  For the record, underneath it all, I really do not give two shits what Doug or anyone else tries to do in terms of selling their precious wares.  But this is an auction discussion thread and the logic as displayed in Doug's listing (and many, many like it) seems flawed to me so why not bring up that opinion for discussion.

If someone cannot stand reading a thread such as this about the thought processes leading someone to ask for a $30,000 profit in 6 months, perhaps APF is not the best place for them in the first place.  I, for one, am certainly not someone who has bemoaned a lack of members.  Those who have the desire and commitment to participate will do so regardless.  If 'potential members' are scared off by an occasional dearth of ignorance and rainbows so be it...  

Chris, that has to be the most idiotic post you have ever posted.

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6087 on: September 29, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
Chris, that has to be the most idiotic post you have ever posted.

My folly I suppose in asking for your perspective  eyeroll
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6088 on: September 29, 2014, 10:40:07 PM »
My folly I suppose in asking for your perspective  eyeroll

no, it isn't folly to ask, only to be idiotic when asking

first of all, your characterization that I only agree with Sean is childish at best.
concerning the rest, it isn't wrong for you to discuss things about the hobby, but there is no reason for you to be so dismissive of something a money man is doing and it's wrong to piss on Doug and his actions, which is exactly what you are doing.

it's like this with some of you guys:
Heritage must be doing something wrong on the poster that sold for 1/2 price elsewhere, even though there is no evidence of any wrongdoing what-so-ever.
the newbie buying posters are well over the going rate for Fight Club and Cannonball Run must be nuts and of course we forget we were talking to him just yesterday too.
Doug Taylor must be nuts for trying to make a profit on a rare poster.

for what reason would someone want to join a group with those attitudes?

has pokerplayr posted here again since he was savaged by the same people who were friendly 3 days earlier? ask yourself why.
Doug Taylor reads this forum from time to time and I believe he has posted, though it goes way back, why would he want to engage you after your post which makes him seem greedy or stupid?

you can talk about these things without pissing on people.. and that would make the forum more useful to some of those lurkers who could become members if they felt they wouldn't be treated like pokerplayr and Doug.

Sean by the way was spot on. I believe Doug already owns another copy of this poster and believes (correctly) that such a poster could be a profitable purchase if he can find a good buyer. Same goes for all the people who will buy 1000 sub-$10 posters at some auctions to list on ebay or 10 $500 on ebay they can list in their retail stores and by the way, it was one of the points you failed to understand when I posted the differences between here and the CGC boards

what YOU perceive as the rightful price of something (to you it's auction prices only) has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of most posters that sell in this hobby which is way greater as an aggregate number than both of the big auctions annual total. Most posters being sold at one auction (by quantity) wind up for resale in other venues, at higher price than the auction achieves

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6089 on: September 29, 2014, 10:54:10 PM »
no, it's the other copy.

I figured it had to be... but just covering all potential bases..  ;)

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6090 on: September 29, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »

I just sold a poster for $29.99. I got it from Rich MPB.com for under $2 (literally sold less than 5 minutes ago).
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6091 on: September 29, 2014, 11:00:14 PM »
I figured it had to be... but just covering all potential bases..  ;)

if you read the condition description for the ebay listing, it compares to the second copy Heritage sold

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #6092 on: September 29, 2014, 11:34:07 PM »
I just sold a poster for $29.99. I got it from Rich MPB.com for under $2 (literally sold less than 5 minutes ago).

Gouger.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6093 on: September 29, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »
no, it isn't folly to ask, only to be idiotic when asking

first of all, your characterization that I only agree with Sean is childish at best.
concerning the rest, it isn't wrong for you to discuss things about the hobby, but there is no reason for you to be so dismissive of something a money man is doing and it's wrong to piss on Doug and his actions, which is exactly what you are doing.

it's like this with some of you guys:
Heritage must be doing something wrong on the poster that sold for 1/2 price elsewhere, even though there is no evidence of any wrongdoing what-so-ever.
the newbie buying posters are well over the going rate for Fight Club and Cannonball Run must be nuts and of course we forget we were talking to him just yesterday too.
Doug Taylor must be nuts for trying to make a profit on a rare poster.

for what reason would someone want to join a group with those attitudes?

has pokerplayr posted here again since he was savaged by the same people who were friendly 3 days earlier? ask yourself why.
Doug Taylor reads this forum from time to time and I believe he has posted, though it goes way back, why would he want to engage you after your post which makes him seem greedy or stupid?

you can talk about these things without pissing on people.. and that would make the forum more useful to some of those lurkers who could become members if they felt they wouldn't be treated like pokerplayr and Doug.

Sean by the way was spot on. I believe Doug already owns another copy of this poster and believes (correctly) that such a poster could be a profitable purchase if he can find a good buyer. Same goes for all the people who will buy 1000 sub-$10 posters at some auctions to list on ebay or 10 $500 on ebay they can list in their retail stores and by the way, it was one of the points you failed to understand when I posted the differences between here and the CGC boards

what YOU perceive as the rightful price of something (to you it's auction prices only) has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of most posters that sell in this hobby which is way greater as an aggregate number than both of the big auctions annual total. Most posters being sold at one auction (by quantity) wind up for resale in other venues, at higher price than the auction achieves

It's wrong to state an opinion on the matter?  It's no personal attack against "Money Man" Doug as you put it.  But this is seen all the time.  A poster is purchased somewhere and then BAM it's listed on a dealer website or eBay for 3 times what it just sold for.  Unless it actually sells for the 300% increase in price how is the recent auction result not as true a reflection of the market and the poster's current worth as possible?  Where is the logic other than hoping for the elusive "good buyer" who will throw cash around without examining the market to any degree?  Dealers/sellers can list a poster at any price they choose.  And yes, of course, on rare occasions that price is realized when "Mr. or Mrs. Good Buyer" walks through the door.  But if it never sells at their arbitrary figure the market has spoken.  

If posters could be routinely purchased with a profit realization of $30,000 six months later do you really think this hobby would be as small and insular as it is?  What kind of market allows for that kind of profit with any degree of certainty or consistency?!  Besides, I am sure if Doug has a heartfelt problem with his Cimarron poster being mentioned on APF he will make it known.  But I suspect someone who is buying pieces of paper for $50,000+ likely has a thick enough skin to handle his pricing practices being examined.  Or even more likely he does not care what is going on on APF and has much better things to do with his time.  I therefore seriously doubt he needs you jumping to his defense when nothing of the sort is called for.

Rich you have one of the foulest and most confrontational mouths in this hobby.  You know it and there are many examples through the years to prove it.  I certainly do not need a lecture from you on the etiquette and finer points of poster forum participation.  That said, I have never had a real problem with you (or anyone else for that matter) and in fact I appreciate most of the contributions you make.  But you have your thoughts and I have mine.  And since that's the case and since we're all about diversity and inclusion we certainly don't need you acting as Constable Rich and waving a gun around at every perceived instance where an opinion is typed that differs from your own.  It's really quite silly to get so up in arms about this ridiculous hobby.

A forum is a place for discussion.  As in the real world, if current members, lurkers and potential members have a problem dealing with views that are disparate to their own well then perhaps they should just stay on the sidelines...  
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6094 on: September 29, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »

Well that's obviously because it comes wrapped in that very special Ari Richards charm  notworthy.gif
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6095 on: September 29, 2014, 11:47:13 PM »
Rich you have one of the foulest and most confrontational mouths in this hobby.  You know it and there are many examples through the years to prove it.  I certainly do not need a lecture from you on the etiquette and finer points of poster forum participation.  That said, I have never had a real problem with you (or anyone else for that matter) and in fact I appreciate most of the contributions you make.  But you have your thoughts and I have mine.  And since that's the case and since we're all about diversity and inclusion we certainly don't need you acting as Constable Rich and waving a gun around at every perceived instance where an opinion is typed that differs from your own.  It's really quite silly to get so up in arms about this ridiculous hobby.

A forum is a place for discussion.  As in the real world, if current members, lurkers and potential members have a problem dealing with views that are disparate to their own well then perhaps they should just stay on the sidelines...  

Chris, this comment above is such complete and utter ignorance that because T&H want peace I'm just going to let you be moronic & ignorant.

no one says you can't have an opinion, I certainly didn't. You "wondered" something and I "wondered" something too. since when does your right to have an opinion trump my right to have an opposite opinion? The bigger question is why you can't be an adult about someone else having an opinion opposite of yours, or different from yours or whatever??

I don't have any personal problem with you, but your post quoted above definitely created one.

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6096 on: September 29, 2014, 11:58:02 PM »
Gouger.

Ill gouge your eyes out in a moment.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6097 on: September 30, 2014, 12:00:40 AM »
Ari your stick looks much sharper.  You need to play fair now...
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6098 on: September 30, 2014, 09:23:30 PM »
Ari your stick looks much sharper.  You need to play fair now...

Clearly someone that may or may not be mel is needed to mend this divide and to dull the sticks.