Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203791 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5425 on: February 27, 2014, 07:57:04 PM »
yes I had noted that.
also note the poster is pulled already so they must have gotten complaints.

No doubt that at least in this area, eBay has finally found the right process in dealing with such sellers.
although as an honest comment, I find that I have few problems on eBay dealing with anyone. I get what I pay for, the overall quality of packaging by weekend warrior sellers has improved and complaints are resolved easily - in part because eBay now pretty much requires dealers to act more responsibly & enforces responsibility better.

I had a poster arrive with unmentioned issues and the seller resolved it with me very fairly that day, resulting in his receiving ++ feedback & I will happily do business with him again.

Ebay sucks overall Rich.  They allow endless free listings, hopelessly junking up the listings with overpriced crap; they block most communication between the buyer and seller; no communications allowed between buyers; they offer bogus "hidden reserve" listings; the feedback system is useless now, all names are hidden, purchases are hidden; prices are hidden for "best offer accepted"; no auction history; scamsters like Loce are protected; the 15% Ebay/Paypal fee is too high; etc, etc.

It's gone from a "B" to a "D" in the last three years IMO. This hobby is very fortunate to have several independent auction houses....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:02:20 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #5426 on: February 27, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »
Yeah but we are not all ballers like you.  If you know what you are doing, you can snag some nice posters on the cheap...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5427 on: February 27, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »
Ebay sucks overall Rich.  They allow endless free listings, hopeless junking up the listings; they block most communication between the buyer and seller; no communications allowed between buyers; they have bogus "hidden reserve" listings; the feedback system is useless now, all names are hidden, purchases are hidden; prices are hidden for "best offer accepted"; no auction history;

It's gone from a "B" to a "D" in the last three years IMO. This hobby is very fortunate to have several independent auction houses....

I do agree that the free listings that clog up the system are onerous, but I have figured out how to block alot of them by saving my searches without displaying dealers I wouldn't be doing biz with because they would never have anything I ever want if they sell key fobs and celebrity dollars, but I'm not sure I agree on all the rest at all.

I did not allow buyer-to-buyer contact when I had other dealers on the old site (There aren't other dealers on the new site) and as to "hidden" bidder names I have spoken to many of my bidders and people who aren't bidders and they all want to be anonymous. Facts are that there is no website where you really know who the bidders are to any great measure. We may know that Marklawd is our friend, but does the average person who never steps foot in an online forum know? Is A*****9 any different than seeing Ar518479? (note: on MPB you now see only A*****9 but that exact code is only used for a single member, so only one person will ever be A*****9).

Realistically, if people wanted you to know who they are and if ANY auction company wanted you to know exactly who they are, then every auction would require you to use your real name for screen display. I understand how you would like to be able to track back information as you used to be able to on eBay years ago, but there were good reasons (for ebay) to go the route they went and the way I now have it. If any dealer  - any dealer - believes that bidders should not be anonymous as bidders wish to be, they should institute actual name bidder id's. Their buyers won't like it very much

auction history and the other issues.. maybe some could be changed, but to the vast majority of people it is not a priority. I really don't think business is a one-size-that-must-fit-all situation Mel.

One thing you said confused me though.. why is the FB system useless?
it works fine for me and keeps sellers in line.
If you think that the information you can no longer get is a neg, do you require the same transparency from every retailer you deal with? Should Dillards be posting a list every day of all their sales for customers to read?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5428 on: February 27, 2014, 09:34:10 PM »
I pretty much agree 100% with Rich....with a few add ons

1. You have no idea who you bid against at Hake's, Christies, Heritage, Sothebys, Profiles etc unless they are in the room...online elements are eliminating that too.... And you obviously cannot contact the other bidders either...And you have no idea who wins.....unless they share :)

2. It's relatively simple to find best offer prices...you just have to know how to look 8)

3. eBay has to protect buyers and sellers simultaneously and it's challenging to do both equally and fairly with competitors and scammers constantly mixing with real honest bidders

4. I have purchased posters from Sean,Morrie, Luminita, Marty, MPA gallery, CaptainBijou, And even Ken Schacter ...the list goes on and on.....ON EBAY!!! I never had any problems...not one...in fact I emailed them all about specific shipping directions etc...with my "packages get damaged coming to Maui" template...they all took great care in shipping

It's a disservice to all the top notch sellers, who are independent and competent, to constantly harangue EBay...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:38:25 PM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5429 on: February 27, 2014, 09:42:55 PM »
I pretty much agree 100% with Rich....with a few add ons

1. You have no idea who you bid against at Hake's, Christies, Heritage, Sothebys, Profiles etc unless they are in the room...online elements are eliminating that too.... And you obviously cannot contact the other bidders either...And you have no idea who wins.....unless they share :)

2. It's relatively simple to find best offer prices...you just have to know how to look 8)

3. eBay has to protect buyers and sellers simultaneously and it's challenging to do both equally and fairly with competitors and scammers constantly mixing with real honest bidders

4. I have purchased posters from Sean,Morrie, Luminita, Marty, MPA gallery, CaptainBijou, And even Ken Schacter ...the list goes on and on.....ON EBAY!!! I never had any problems...not one...in fact I emailed them all about specific shipping directions etc...with my "packages get damaged coming to Maui" template...they all took great care in shipping

It's a disservice to all the top notch sellers, who are independent and competent, to constantly harangue EBay...

I'll go a little further: I think it's unfair to the general populace to think that they can offer the same kind of service professionals do just like I think it's a diservice to a weekend football player to measure them against an NFL'er

I would venture to say that most people who want to "find" something on ebay are looking to find it with a non-pro. Expecting pro service at the same time is a redundant concept

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5430 on: February 28, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »
This poster begs to disagree with you.

Can't disagree with R47 Lugosi...that's the bomb
Chris

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #5431 on: February 28, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »
Can't disagree with R47 Lugosi...that's the bomb

I agree, it's a great looking poster.  But the colors don't scream "horror" to me.  Too bright and cheery. 

The original release looks dark, dank and musty, very off-putting....perfect for the Count:)

And the Dracula title font is far superior in the original release as well.....

Just my very humble opinion :-*

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5432 on: February 28, 2014, 10:32:43 PM »
They are both excellent in such different ways.
If I had my druthers, I'd own 'em both.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5433 on: February 28, 2014, 11:07:32 PM »
I agree, it's a great looking poster.  But the colors don't scream "horror" to me.  Too bright and cheery.  

The original release looks dark, dank and musty, very off-putting....perfect for the Count:)

And the Dracula title font is far superior in the original release as well.....

Just my very humble opinion :-*

And best, then, to avoid the more comic book drawn, Style F OS.

;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:40:33 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5434 on: March 01, 2014, 12:04:59 AM »
I think my favorite Dracula poster is the 1961 re-issue
I'd like to get one eventually

-------

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #5435 on: March 01, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »
Is this the one, Rich?  If so, get me roaring drunk at Cinevent and I'll tell you a story that'll make you weep and want to curl up in a warm sock drawer.

I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5436 on: March 01, 2014, 03:33:55 PM »
Is this the one, Rich?  If so, get me roaring drunk at Cinevent and I'll tell you a story that'll make you weep and want to curl up in a warm sock drawer.

I don't normally wear socks
 :P

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #5437 on: March 01, 2014, 03:59:06 PM »

Beautiful!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5438 on: March 01, 2014, 06:48:54 PM »
isn't it Rosa?
sadly I didn't buy one when they were only a few hundred and they don't come up too often, probably because the people who buy them, keep them.
Now it probably goes for more than I want to pay so unless I get to trade stuff for one I probably won't get one..

no big deal. I can live with the disappointment
 ;)

-------

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #5439 on: March 03, 2014, 04:11:55 AM »
The FRANKENSTEIN one sheet of the same year release ain't too shabby either. 
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5440 on: March 03, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »
The FRANKENSTEIN one sheet of the same year release ain't too shabby either. 

it is and I may still have one. I would prefer the Drac which is really a killer poster

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5441 on: March 03, 2014, 03:34:44 PM »
I've never seen Barbarella (1968), but there is a lot of cool art for it, including this VHS release:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301112223475?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5442 on: March 03, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »
it shows on MeTV right now

you should catch it. hilariously fun movie, especially when Jane is in the orgasmatron

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #5443 on: March 03, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
isn't it Rosa?
sadly I didn't buy one when they were only a few hundred and they don't come up too often, probably because the people who buy them, keep them.
Now it probably goes for more than I want to pay so unless I get to trade stuff for one I probably won't get one..

no big deal. I can live with the disappointment
 ;)

I am sure you can live without that one Rich, you have plenty of goodies!!!  ;)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5444 on: March 03, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
I am sure you can live without that one Rich, you have plenty of goodies!!!  ;)

yes I can. While it is nice to get everything you ever wanted, considering that I was middle-class to poor when I was young, I've gotten loads and loads of great stuff most people and have an enormous satisfaction with I've been able to accomplish as a collector in my life. I have no complaints in this area and as you say Rosa, I have plenty oif goodies and I am very happy with them

:D

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5445 on: March 03, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
hey fellow collectors. Sorry if I'm outing an auction that anyone else has on their watchlist
here is a goody that someone here may wish to bid on

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DR-NO-1st-James-Bond-movie-United-Artists-pressbook-1962-/301107123656?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item461b6215c8

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5446 on: March 03, 2014, 05:31:05 PM »
it shows on MeTV right now

you should catch it. hilariously fun movie, especially when Jane is in the orgasmatron

Someone say 'orgasmatron?'

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5447 on: March 03, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »
ah-h-h-h Jane..

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5448 on: March 03, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:38:05 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5449 on: March 04, 2014, 01:28:30 AM »
I'm guessing Rich and Ted have never seen Barbarella either, as the orgasmatron is from the Sleeper.

The machine in Barbarella is called the "Machine of ultimate pleasure"...  I have seen the film once or twice.. ;)
It's more than a Hobby...