Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203667 times)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5375 on: February 25, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »
Out of this recent edited thread something good may come out of it. I think Rich your Bid History listing needs better clarity of who bid what and when, which may avoid future possible misinterpretation. I know it is a new website and teething troubles are likely so issues are to be expected.

The bid history for the Rear Window auction (which ended  02-19-2014 18:06  ) doesn't show if there was someone else bidding on the poster as it looks as though the same person was running up the bids for the full 90 minutes of the extended bidding, at all sorts of bid increments. Might be better to use a different auction plugin or software maybe, as the one you are using (BF) I suspect is a bit limited in functionality and can't show the full bid history. Clarity is important. I'd probably also suggest not using a plugin but using an external independent auction service provider like I think Bruce does so they control the code and not you.

I could have PM'd this but I think Bruce should also know my response.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5376 on: February 25, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
Out of this recent edited thread something good may come out of it. I think Rich your Bid History listing needs better clarity of who bid what and when, which may avoid future possible misinterpretation. I know it is a new website and teething troubles are likely so issues are to be expected.

The bid history for the Rear Window auction (which ended  02-19-2014 18:06  ) doesn't show if there was someone else bidding on the poster as it looks as though the same person was running up the bids for the full 90 minutes of the extended bidding, at all sorts of bid increments. Might be better to use a different auction plugin or software maybe, as the one you are using (BF) I suspect is a bit limited in functionality and can't show the full bid history. Clarity is important. I'd probably also suggest not using a plugin but using an external independent auction service provider like I think Bruce does so they control the code and not you.

I could have PM'd this but I think Bruce should also know my response.

Steve, you saved my response so you know that I stated it was a bug that is being fixed.
we didn't see the bug until the final day of the auctions and couldn't implement the fix for fear of crashing the site like we did when we uploaded a previous module to the site a week earlier.
The bid history there is a mess and the bidding action suffered as a result. The fix is in the works and will be on site before the next auction.
It was the first auction on the site and the bug didn't show until 200+ people were bidding. It may also have been a result of what crashed the system the previous week and when the newest files were uploaded, some files were missed.

The bid history should of course be fully observable and decipherable. I have no complaint about the query

and to be sure Steve. I have no control over any part of the operation of the site. I wouldn't know what to do with coding language and I don't want in the database because who knows how badly  I could mess that thing up & foul up the system. Only the programmer, who is the actual site administrator, can see or do anything back there.

here is my original response to the question.
On the poster & bidding, unfortunately we discovered a bidding bug on the last day of the auction due to a bad module that was loaded and a corrupted file, so when a bidder raised the bid $1, the darned system instead of hop-scotching the bids so that $551 would go to $553 due to the high bidders proxy, it raised the high bidder to the bid the underbidder was making and raising incorrectly to $552 rather than $553. The same bug unfortunately also affected the bid history because it was replacing the $1 bidder with the proxy bidder

the underbidder kept raising $1 for a long time before a 3rd bidder entered the game (there were 16 people watching the page, including one in Central Missouri) and raised the bid. Then the $1 bidder dropped out and it was over in a few minutes and the high proxy bidder won the poster for a very good price, which allows him to get the poster properly restored (just like the copy you sold was redone to look right) & have a really nice piece for himself.

Thankfully the programmer is working on this bid issue and a couple other issues we found bugs about when the site was under a full load and all of these issues are going to be resolved. It was the first auction on the new site and the programmer is on this job thankfully. Had we been alerted to the bug earlier, we would have been able to fix it sooner

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:44:34 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5377 on: February 25, 2014, 09:48:26 PM »
I made a small mistake here. the $1 bidder was not underbidder, he was down below that although because I can't look into the back end, I would have to ask admin if there were more than one $1 bidders in there.

the underbidder kept raising $1 for a long time before a 3rd bidder entered the game (there were 16 people watching the page, including one in Central Missouri) and raised the bid. Then the $1 bidder dropped out and it was over in a few minutes and the high proxy bidder won the poster for a very good price, which allows him to get the poster properly restored (just like the copy you sold was redone to look right) & have a really nice piece for himself.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5378 on: February 25, 2014, 09:54:40 PM »
Damn looks like I missed all the good stuff
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5379 on: February 25, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »

No, just the tedious stuff. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5380 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »
Thank you, and please, anyone else out there who is feeling the need to go on the offense, follow Bruce's lead.  If you don't stop it, I most certainly will.

Public attacks between poster professionals is bad for APF and bad for this hobby.

There are several Rich smears which still need to be cleansed.
Will you do it or I?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5381 on: February 25, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »
Public attacks between poster professionals is bad for APF and bad for this hobby.

There are several Rich smears which still need to be cleansed.
Will you do it or I?

what smears are those, if I might ask. you can message me if you like.
I'd like to see where I libel anyone

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5382 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:51 PM »

Consider yourself lucky.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5383 on: February 25, 2014, 10:06:51 PM »
you can message me if you like.

Yes, please dear god move this discussion to PMs. 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5385 on: February 25, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »
I agree with Rich this time around.  Very doubtful this is a '47 and it should have been titled "probable re-release" instead of just mentioning it in the text at the end. I don't understand why Bruce dropped the ball on this one, since he normally does fairly disclose all issues.  Of course, Heritage totally bombed on this one as well:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:23:36 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5386 on: February 25, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
say Ted.. you didn't see the deleted comment, did you?

the deletion had nothing to do with criticism or actual commentary. read Holiday's rule post for more clarity

you're welcome to PM me also

-------

Bruce

« Reply #5387 on: February 25, 2014, 10:26:42 PM »
I agree with Rich this time around.  Very doubtful this is a '47 and it should have been titled "probable re-release."  I don't understand why Bruce dropped the ball on this one, since he normally does fairly disclose all issues:

Good Lord, Mel! I explained that Heritage has sold this THREE TIMES as being 1940s first release over a six year period and have NOT corrected or amended those auctions. Given that, how can I in good conscience call it anything else in the main description and be fair to the consignor?

And of course I have a lengthy paragraph explaining all the controversy about this poster (and of course, Heritage in no way explained any of this).

I also explained ad nauseum that I am going to personally explain everything that is known about this poster to the high bidder, and that I will give him the option of canceling. How in the world is that "dropping the ball"?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:28:04 PM by Bruce »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5388 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:21 PM »
say Ted.. you didn't see the deleted comment, did you?

the deletion had nothing to do with criticism or actual commentary. read Holiday's rule post for more clarity

you're welcome to PM me also

I have read all of the deleted comments, Rich.

Those I have linked are personal attacks.
If you have an issue with another member's business practices show some courtesy to your competitor and take it private.
It is not forum debate material.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5389 on: February 25, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »
Good Lord, Mel! I explained that Heritage has sold this THREE TIMES as being 1940s first release over a six year period and have NOT corrected or amended those auctions. Given that, how can I in good conscience call it anything else in the main description and be fair to the consignor?

And of course I have a lengthy paragraph explaining all the controversy about this poster (and of course, Heritage in no way explained any of this).

I also explained ad nauseum that I am going to personally explain everything that is known about this poster to the high bidder, and that I will give him the option of canceling. How in the world is that "dropping the ball"?

I already said Heritage "bombed" on this one as well.  (You quoted my first draft, which I quickly amended.)

As far as being "fair" to the consignor, that's just too bad for the consignor.

Of course the buyer has MORE options than just canceling the transaction.  The buyer could sue EMP for breach of contract and could recover the value of a true '47 less the final auction price for this poster IF the jury found that the time issue was not sufficiently disclosed:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/part_7
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:59:15 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #5390 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:38 PM »

That is simply saying that the way Heritage conducts its business is the benchmark for your business.

Hell Bruce, you have set the standards for many of us to to follow, packaging, grading hard, images etc - I know I have modeled much of how I do things based on the quality of the way you do your thing - I am very surprised you are using 'well they did it first' reason as your argument.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:56:42 PM by Silhouette »
David

Bruce

« Reply #5391 on: February 25, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »
I already said Heritage "bombed" on this one as well.  (You quoted my first draft, which I quickly amended.)

As far as being "fair" to the consignor, that's just too bad for the consignor.

Of course the buyer has MORE options than just canceling the transaction.  The buyer could sue EMP for breach of contract and could recover the value of a true '47 less the final auction price for this poster IF the jury found that the time issue was not sufficiently disclosed:

What contract am I breaching by fully disclosing all I know and giving them the choice of completing the sale or not?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5392 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:33 PM »

In a pig's eye.

Who in their right mind would waste their time on shit like this?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5393 on: February 25, 2014, 11:08:02 PM »
Steve, you saved my response so you know that I stated it was a bug that is being fixed.

Sorry I don't remember all posts...

I have bigger problems now... I noticed a big lump on my pet possums scrotum and I need to see what the vet thinks

Bruce

« Reply #5394 on: February 25, 2014, 11:09:44 PM »
That is simply saying that the way Heritage conducts its business is the benchmark for your business.

Hell Bruce, you have set the standards for many of us to to follow, packaging, grading hard, images etc - I know I have modeled much of how I do things based on the quality of the way you do your thing - I am very surprised you are using 'well they did it first' reason as your argument.

No, I am IN NO WAY am conducting my business the way they do:
1) I fully disclose the controversy over the date of release, which they did not do any of the times they sold this since 2005
2) I contact the buyer and give them a repeat complete explanation of what is known of the poster and give them the option of canceling
3) I still give them a lifetime guarantee, as I do all my buyers

Now I can't say for certain that Heritage does not do #2 or #3 above, but I have never ever heard of them doing either, and they never advertise that they do.

This is a very difficult poster, and there are others like it where the leading members of the hobby do not agree on the specifics. I COULD never auction any of these posters, but that since I am taking all the risk (giving the guarantee) it seems it should be my risk to take (and it is only on a very few posters).

And thanks very much for your kind words. I do do ALL all I can to both "talk the talk" and "walk the walk", and I think you and everyone else here knows that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:14:39 PM by Bruce »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #5395 on: February 25, 2014, 11:12:15 PM »

I have bigger problems now... I noticed a big lump on my pet possums scrotum and I need to see what the vet thinks

David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5396 on: February 25, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5397 on: February 25, 2014, 11:14:58 PM »
it seems I missed 4 laughies.
here there are. now my account is up to date

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5398 on: February 25, 2014, 11:16:50 PM »

uh...oh...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5399 on: February 25, 2014, 11:19:04 PM »
Finally.......

back on track..

laugh1

-Jeff