Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203652 times)

guest8

Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4725 on: October 03, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »
I say we all bid it up, get Mel some funds...  ;D

just as long as I'm not the last bidder Im in! :)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4726 on: October 03, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »
That's the fun part Fallen, it's like Russian Roulette with a poster... :D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4727 on: October 03, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »
I say we all bid it up, get Mel some funds...  ;D

If I consign Bruce my Ishtar, can I get some funds too? ;D
-Jay-

Charlie

« Reply #4728 on: October 03, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
Funny thing is there was one on eBay for $150 right after Mel posted... I would laugh, but one time I bought a Tinkerbell poster from Bruce for $40 eyeroll (love of one's child seems to hinder decision making) and I later (right after I bid) found it on the eBay for $15 shipped... Then prayed the other bidder would out bid me - but no...  hitself

Bruce

« Reply #4729 on: October 03, 2013, 06:53:59 PM »
That's the fun part Fallen, it's like Russian Roulette with a poster... :D

It REALLY is in our auctions, because there is no retracting bids, or weaseling out after the sale. If someone plays a game and tries to "run someone up" and then doesn't pay, then we ban that bidder for life (and we mean the person, not the ID, like it is on eBay).

We have a lot of people who walk away from high bids, who later try to sneak back on, but we believe in the "fool me once, fool me twice" maxim, and it is once and our at our site. That MAY result in some lowered sale prices, but it also is why we collect from 99+% of our buyers, unlike every other site, where the same items return over and over.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4730 on: October 03, 2013, 09:09:29 PM »
We have a lot of people who walk away from high bids

What do you do in these situations Bruce?  Do you offer it to the under bidder or does it get reauctioned later on?  Seems unfair to the under bidder but I guess it's their decision to buy or not if offered...
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #4731 on: October 03, 2013, 10:07:16 PM »
I used to buy a lot on eBay and an awful lot I was offered the item I just lost for the underbidder price, and I came to think of them as "You were a giant sucker emails" and I almost always said "No thanks". Of course, sometimes that person who outbid me was a shill, and then I would have been stupid to pay the underbidder price, because there was no REAL high bidder.

We tried offering items at one bid over where the third bidder had bid for a while, but it resulted in few sales, so we quit it, and now we just re-auction the item, and strangely, a fair amount of time it goes for even MORE the next time (although sometimes it goes for much less).

1% of bad bidders doesn't sound like much, but when you auction 110,000 items a year, 1% is 1,100 items, and yes, we re-auction that many. And 1% of four million dollars is $40,000, so they do add up to a lot of money.

But it VERY rare that the same person gets us twice.

Charlie

« Reply #4732 on: October 03, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
You've got some rough gems coming up Tuesday Bruce...  I might have to buy something!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4733 on: October 03, 2013, 10:23:19 PM »
Wow...and it sucks big time for everyone involved - the legitimate underbidders, eMovie and the consignor who all lost out because of a fraud!
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #4734 on: October 05, 2013, 03:38:27 AM »
Wow...and it sucks big time for everyone involved - the legitimate underbidders, eMovie and the consignor who all lost out because of a fraud!

what he says...

Bruce

« Reply #4735 on: October 05, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »

I so hate to tell a consignor that the result he thought he got did not happen. It is like a surgeon going to the next of kin and telling them the patient didn't make it. So when the amount involved is fairly low, and I doubt I will lose much I go ahead and pay the consignor and then when it is re-auctioned I take the loss myself.

This is one of the main reasons consignors tell us they are switching to us from consigning to other auctions (aside from getting more money). Not only are some high results cancelled with no explanation, but the "sale" goes up on that auction's website and stays there, even though that result never happened.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4736 on: October 05, 2013, 01:04:35 PM »
Not only are some high results cancelled with no explanation, but the "sale" goes up on that auction's website and stays there, even though that result never happened.

For years now, you have repeated this ad nauseam yet have never offered even a single example.
Do you actually have any examples of this happening that you can point to or is it just part of your usual rhetoric?

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4737 on: October 07, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #4738 on: October 08, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
For years now, you have repeated this ad nauseam yet have never offered even a single example.
Do you actually have any examples of this happening that you can point to or is it just part of your usual rhetoric?

I must say it would very silly of ANYONE to provide a definitive example as it would potentially land you in a lot of trouble.
I'm not taking sides, but Bruce is right.
It happens ALL the time.
Best wishes,
Adam

guest8

« Reply #4739 on: October 08, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »

I couldn't help but chuckle at that statement :)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4740 on: October 08, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »
As the owner of the hardest working, smallest vintage movie poster auction site, with the smallest turnover, the smallest number of movie posters auctioned AND the equal smallest number of staff in the world! (currently taking a sabbatical) I can safely say it has never happened to me...

http://www.vintagemovieposters.com.au/auctions

;D
David

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4741 on: October 08, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »
I must say it would very silly of ANYONE to provide a definitive example as it would potentially land you in a lot of trouble.
It happens ALL the time.

You mean it could land Heritage in a lot of trouble. Yes, that would be true.
But knowing that Heritage has removed sales that have fallen through and removed items where they refunded money when Haggard fakes were sold, I just don't believe it.

Why exactly do you think it happens "ALL the time"?
it's not Snowden-like top secret information, and in fact I think you would be doing the hobby a big favor by revealing any information you have along these lines.

I could post every week that I think Jaws1975 (or whoever the highbidder of the month is) is a shill bidder for Bruce and that I think he has lots of items in his archive that weren't actually paid for, but just saying it a lot doesn't make it true. (And for the record, I don't believe either of those things, I think Bruce runs honest auctions).

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4742 on: October 08, 2013, 09:40:40 PM »
It happens ALL the time.

If it's true, then how could it get you in trouble?

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4743 on: October 08, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »

And by reading these posts am I in trouble now too?!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4744 on: October 09, 2013, 01:00:45 AM »
Your always in trouble, trouble maker, maybe your the new trouble maker over at NSF, thought we were passed that.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4745 on: October 09, 2013, 07:24:16 AM »
Your always in trouble, trouble maker, maybe your the new trouble maker over at NSF, thought we were passed that.

;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4746 on: October 09, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »

Nah that's definitely Matias' alterego...you can tell because he likes talking to himself ;)
Chris

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4747 on: October 09, 2013, 11:29:40 AM »

It's all part of some vast conspiracy controlled by the poster mafia.
That's why the former godfather Bruce can speak about it without providing examples, but no one dares come out in the open.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4748 on: October 09, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Nah that's definitely Matias' alterego...you can tell because he likes talking to himself ;)

Ok, now you are in trouble.

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #4749 on: October 09, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »
I couldn't help but chuckle at that statement :)

Maybe I should have rephrased what I said lol.
People who go to auctions and are involved in them know that the statement Bruce made is right, no matter who says it.

You mean it could land Heritage in a lot of trouble. Yes, that would be true.
But knowing that Heritage has removed sales that have fallen through and removed items where they refunded money when Haggard fakes were sold, I just don't believe it.

Why exactly do you think it happens "ALL the time"?
it's not Snowden-like top secret information, and in fact I think you would be doing the hobby a big favor by revealing any information you have along these lines.

I could post every week that I think Jaws1975 (or whoever the highbidder of the month is) is a shill bidder for Bruce and that I think he has lots of items in his archive that weren't actually paid for, but just saying it a lot doesn't make it true. (And for the record, I don't believe either of those things, I think Bruce runs honest auctions).

The reason it could land an individual or rival company in trouble is because you are effectively calling another a fraud, and this could open up a huge can of worms. We all know it happens, but without clear evidence, you cannot prove a thing.
Best wishes,
Adam