Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203449 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4275 on: April 14, 2013, 10:49:50 PM »
According to BoxOfficeMojo, Pulp Fiction was showing in 1,400 theaters at its peak.  

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=pulpfiction.htm

The number of posters floating around 20 years later is not commensurate with the 1,500 figure.

And Sex and the City 3,325 theaters = likely even more actual 'for theatre use' printed posters
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4276 on: April 14, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
The number of posters floating around 20 years later is not commensurate with the 1,500 figure.

what does that even mean?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4277 on: April 14, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »
Wait a minute - Sex and the City made $415,000,000 worldwide - let's talk about that!
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4278 on: April 14, 2013, 11:14:23 PM »
what does that even mean?

Mel is kindly sharing his knowledge with us

Wait a minute - Sex and the City made $415,000,000 worldwide - let's talk about that!

Ok, lots, I mean lots, of men went there and suffered through this in the hope they might get some action later

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4279 on: April 14, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »
Real simple.  PF played in 1,500 theaters in 1994.  Miramax sent 2 or 3 posters to each theater, maybe 5,000 total.  Why are there so many available for sale now TWENTY YEARS LATER if Miramax did not print extra for poster dealers?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:18:40 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4280 on: April 14, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »

Ok, lots, I mean lots, of men went there and suffered through this in the hope they might get some action later

I'd be very surprised if any of them could get it up after seeing 2+ hours of SJP

Well maybe absent those with an equine fetish...
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4281 on: April 14, 2013, 11:21:08 PM »
Real simple.  PF played in 1,500 theaters in 1994.  Miramax sent 2 or 3 posters to each theater, maybe 5,000 total.  Why are there so many available for sale now TWENTY YEARS LATER if Miramax did not print extra for poster dealers?

Yes, real simple, there are lots

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4282 on: April 14, 2013, 11:25:03 PM »
They have been in high demand for twenty years.  The surviving theater-used supply would have dried up years ago.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4283 on: April 14, 2013, 11:26:44 PM »

because your math is wrong?? Or because your presumptions are wrong?
how about minmum print runs are probably in the 10,000-20,000 area and heavy prints runs 50,000
how many they print has nothing to do with how many theatres there are. It has to do with the costs of printing and the fact that (for instance) to print 5000 may cost X and to print 5000 more at the same time is 1/10th the cost of the first 5000.

stop trying to create information based upon false presumptions. You have no idea how many posters were printed (I don't either) and to put a number to it creates false information.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4284 on: April 14, 2013, 11:29:02 PM »
They have been in high demand for twenty years.  The surviving theater-used supply would have dried up years ago.

hot potato, hot potato

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4285 on: April 14, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »
and to add something, when I bought the Miramax warehouse East contents, we unfortunately got 109 boxes of Smoke Signals. This film is a complete POS and I wound up with 5450 copies of it, leftovers from International distribution. Unfortunately I still have some 30 tubes sitting in the warehouse of this POS. How many did they print? Certainly more than the 5450 that I know weren't distributed.

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4286 on: April 14, 2013, 11:32:51 PM »
because your math is wrong?? Or because your presumptions are wrong?
how about minmum print runs are probably in the 10,000-20,000 area and heavy prints runs 50,000
how many they print has nothing to do with how many theatres there are. It has to do with the costs of printing and the fact that (for instance) to print 5000 may cost X and to print 5000 more at the same time is 1/10th the cost of the first 5000.

stop trying to create information based upon false presumptions. You have no idea how many posters were printed (I don't either) and to put a number to it creates false information.

Why would Miramax print 50,000 Pulp Fiction posters for just 1500 theaters?  That's 33 per theater.   That makes no sense, regardless of printing cost.  Egbert, Dan (MPA), and Pic_res (Dennis) have all referred to "licensed dealer print runs."   It makes more sense that many of the PF posters available today were printed directly for sale to dealers.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:35:19 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4287 on: April 14, 2013, 11:38:13 PM »
who said they printed 50,000?
Mel. where is your reading comprehension?

and there were no licensed dealer print runs of theatrical Pulp Fiction posters, though there are reprints of Pulp Fiction posters

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4288 on: April 15, 2013, 12:05:45 AM »
Well Rich, I concede that you have far more knowledge of this subject that I do.

This whole thread started because I was just repeating what Egbert said, i.e. that Miramax sold 10,000 posters to two dealers, who then resold to other dealers, including Egbert.  Notwithstanding Egbert's kookiness, it seems reasonable given that several dealers on Ebay (movieposterzone, Egbert, etc.) have seemingly-unlimited supplies of these.

In any event, I just ordered one of MoviePosterZone's $125 PF posters to compare to the one you sold me three years (which came from the Miramax warehouse), so I'll be able to report any differences.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:08:12 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #4289 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:01 AM »
I think you guys should also assess - How many people really care about Pulp Fiction?  -AND- How many really care about having an original?

THEN

People are going to buy what they want so who really cares how many are printed?  Mel you keep talking about this stuff like everyone is it for investment purposes... Not on a Pulp Fiction OS?!?! You may want to be but some just don't really care all that much - it is just wall covering using their favorite movie...  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:12:34 AM by Charlie »

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4290 on: April 15, 2013, 12:31:40 AM »
I'm not in it for investment purposes and I can only speak for myself here, but I know that if I spend $100+ on any 'original' poster, then I want that poster to be an original poster. Not a reprint or reproduction. Now what counts as original? That's a whole other discussion (that's been discussed elsewhere)....
Witty signature goes here.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4291 on: April 15, 2013, 12:39:43 AM »
If a poster is selling for $100 and you really want it, and feel $100 or maybe $90 for some folk here who seem to need a bargain every time, and you buy the poster for the bargain price of $80 ( if that's bargain enough), you are happy,you enjoy the poster it's in a frame or in a tube or whatever you do with your bargain poster, and then years later,you still see this poster being sold, you thought it would be rare because whatever reason, now just about everyone in the world who wants one has one, and your bargain is now selling for $80 regularly, and with your super bargain hunting and negotiating skills, it's really not a $70 poster, but you can get for $60 if you cry poor long enough, THEN do you....

Feel ripped off?
Or
Glad you have the poster and the enjoyment you got from it and continue to get ?

I know how I think.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:52:26 AM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4292 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:39 AM »
Now what counts as original? That's a whole other discussion (that's been discussed elsewhere)....

Original means that a piece must exist in its own right (and not coexist in a parallel universe). Everything thus is an original as it had its own creation date. It is also its own first release and it is vintage because it has an old design. It is an original, vintage first release

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4293 on: April 15, 2013, 12:49:27 AM »
I was just repeating what Egbert said

laugh1

Seems like a judgement problem to me.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4294 on: April 15, 2013, 12:54:06 AM »
If a poster is selling for $100 and you really want t, and feel $100 or maybe $90 for some folk here who seem to need a bargain every time, and you buy the poster for the bargain price of $80 ( if that's bargain enough), you are happy,you enjoy the Peter it's in a frame or in a tube or whatever you do with your bargain poster, and then years later,you still see this poster being sold, you thought it would be rare because whatever reason, now just about everyone in the world who wants one has one, and your bargain is now selling for $80 regularly, and s with your super bargain hunting and negotiating skills, it's really not a $70 poster, but you can get for $60 if you cry poor long enough, THEN do you....

Cool, 159 word sentence, my head is giddy and I bailed

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4295 on: April 15, 2013, 12:55:23 AM »
My work is done.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4296 on: April 15, 2013, 03:52:40 AM »
Glad you have the poster and the enjoyment you got from it and continue to get ?

yep.. I paid $3000 for my Murder My Sweet 1sh in 2001. It has been proudly displayed most of the time since then. 12 years x365 days+3 leap years = 4383 days. that means it has cost me 65 cents a day to enjoy the poster. this number decreases every day, so in 12 more years, my cost will be down to 32 cents a day, and that's just if the item wasn't re-salable. How many things do you own that you can say you enjoyed & got money back later?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:55:10 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4297 on: April 15, 2013, 04:19:54 AM »
yep.. I paid $3000 for my Murder My Sweet 1sh in 2001. It has been proudly displayed most of the time since then. 12 years x365 days+3 leap years = 4383 days. that means it has cost me 65 cents a day to enjoy the poster. this number decreases every day, so in 12 more years, my cost will be down to 32 cents a day, and that's just if the item wasn't re-salable. How many things do you own that you can say you enjoyed & got money back later?

So I can buy it from you on time payment for 32cents per day?
David

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4298 on: April 15, 2013, 08:09:07 AM »

And I know this because well I'm Bruce.

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4299 on: April 15, 2013, 08:54:20 AM »

Why would each theater only get two or three posters?
I am friends with the owner of one of Atlanta's last remaining independent theaters (Plaza), they only have two screens but whenever they show a film they get up to a complete tube of posters and usually at least 20 of any title.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com