Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203850 times)

Charlie

Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4250 on: April 13, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »
Looks like the missing, lower right corner might have brought the price down some.   8)

BAT

BIN: $5881.00, obo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breakfast-at-Tiffanys-Orig-Movie-Poster-1SH-/271187670614?pt=AU_Movie_Memorabilia&hash=item3f240b7656

I made an offer to this guy.  He is stuck at retail...  He said it was way too low to consider.  I don't think he is a poster dealer.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4251 on: April 14, 2013, 01:55:19 AM »
Search as I might, I cannot seem to find the thread that discussed one of our member's upcoming films "You're Next".
I wanted to ask this there: is this legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310650329899&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123

Edit: Well, crap. It's already sold. I really hope someone didn't just purchase a DIY print job.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:56:36 AM by pratschm »
Witty signature goes here.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4252 on: April 14, 2013, 03:28:59 AM »
Search as I might, I cannot seem to find the thread that discussed one of our member's upcoming films "You're Next".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310650329899&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123

Edit: Well, crap. It's already sold. I really hope someone didn't just purchase a DIY print job.

Here you go, Mike:  ;)

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,5550.msg113008.html#msg113008

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4253 on: April 14, 2013, 07:52:52 AM »
I just got the You 're Next sets in, should have them unpacked today or tomorrow and up for sale.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4254 on: April 14, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
Thanks erik and dale. I was more just curious if the posters were actually released yet, or if someone found some hi-res images and was selling them as originals. Sounds like all is good.

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4255 on: April 14, 2013, 11:14:04 AM »
re: Pulp Fiction (non lucky strike) - has anyone noticed the drastic price increase this piece is seeing month after month?   Obviously huge demand on this title.

So here's the real question - what's your prediction?  Will it continue to increase as is, taper off and retain today's going price, or be deemed overvalued and start falling?

Stephen Ryan

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4256 on: April 14, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »
It all depends on how slowly Richie releases his giant stack of them

Or alternatively how many people find out there is a HUGE supply of them...
Chris

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #4257 on: April 14, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »
This might be a stupid question but do you think it's possible that people are confusing this poster with the Lucky Strikes poster, thus driving price up?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4258 on: April 14, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
This might be a stupid question but do you think it's possible that people are confusing this poster with the Lucky Strikes poster, thus driving price up?

There are no stupid questions only stupid people. Like the ones driving up the price on this. I know cause I was once one of them.   ;D

Anything is possible but I think its cause in general  Bruce gets MO money for the popular ones cause well hes Bruce.

As long as you mentioned it. I hope to one day have a Lucky Strike poster fall out of the sky and land on my door step cause thats the only way I will be to acquire  one.  :P

Bruce

« Reply #4259 on: April 14, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
There are no stupid questions only stupid people. Like the ones driving up the price on this. I know cause I was once one of them.   ;D

Anything is possible but I think its cause in general  Bruce gets MO money for the popular ones cause well hes Bruce.

As long as you mentioned it. I hope to one day have a Lucky Strike poster fall out of the sky and land on my door step cause thats the only way I will be to acquire  one.  :P

The question ALWAYS is, "Are there more buyers than sellers at that price?". It works for stocks or for Frankenstein one-sheets just as well as for this poster. When the price reaches the point where they are more sellers than buyers, the price will come down.

And I know this because well I'm Bruce.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4260 on: April 14, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
The question ALWAYS is, "Are there more buyers than sellers at that price?". It works for stocks or for Frankenstein one-sheets just as well as for this poster. When the price reaches the point where they are more sellers than buyers, the price will come down.

And I know this because well I'm Bruce.

I was going for the comedy angle.  ;)

I think most of us understand supply and demand.

I am saying that as you are Bruce, most feel much more comfortable dealing with you than some guy on ebay. I know I do.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4261 on: April 14, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
Or alternatively how many people find out there is a HUGE supply of them...

Chris

almost every modern poster is available in very high quantities. Do you think they printed less Pulp Fiction one sheets than they printed Sex in the City??

some people were just smarter than others, and saved posters for the future..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #4262 on: April 14, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »
re: Pulp Fiction (non lucky strike) - has anyone noticed the drastic price increase this piece is seeing month after month?   Obviously huge demand on this title.

So here's the real question - what's your prediction?  Will it continue to increase as is, taper off and retain today's going price, or be deemed overvalued and start falling?

This poster  is now cheaper than used to be.  I've seen it in the UK for £500, rolled, now is cheaper.  Not the LS one.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4263 on: April 14, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »

This poster  is now cheaper than used to be.  I've seen it in the UK for £500, rolled, now is cheaper.  Not the LS one.

when the poster sold a few times for over $500 was an anomoly. Of course, people at a retail level can ask anything. Doesn't mean it's selling

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Threenero

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4265 on: April 14, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »
people can ask any price they want for something, like that guy who lists lightboxes for $1,000,000

doesn't mean it's the right price. Of course, people forget something about "collectibles".....
it's simple, collectibles only have real value at the moment cash is trading hands. All other times, it just has a "perception of value". The reasons are simple, unlike other "real property" these items cannot necessarily be sold at a moment's notice. If I want to sell my stocks in AT&T, it will only take as long as it takes me to place the sell order.

trying to tie values of collectibles to a solid pricing structure isn't possible. Collectibles were worth more in a hot economy in 2007 than they were in 2009 in a recession. If you absolutely must sell today, your value is a steep decline from perception. What something in this business is worth to one person doesn't reflect what it's worth to another.

.. and I haven't even discussed the variance is business costs between say myself (online presence, no sales people needed etc) vs a gallery (many employees, higher rent). These issues all contribute to what his or her retail listing or straight sale price may be and the difference between them.

-------

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #4266 on: April 14, 2013, 05:22:24 PM »

So what was up with those HP advances for the last film?  The Harry Potter character advance went for nearly $600.  First time the image was offered on emovie, but are those advances going to be that hard to find?

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Bruce

« Reply #4267 on: April 14, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »
Good thing no one "outed" those or the prices would have been far higher!

Offline keith

• Beginner
« Reply #4268 on: April 14, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »

There should be real YOU'RE NEXT posters out there in the world right now. I got a few from Lionsgate, but not a large batch so I need to save the ones I have for cast and crew.

There also should be some very very rare and subversive bus-shelter ads that people haven't really picked up on yet… Can't really say more than that.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4269 on: April 14, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
Chris

almost every modern poster is available in very high quantities. Do you think they printed less Pulp Fiction one sheets than they printed Sex in the City??

some people were just smarter than others, and saved posters for the future..

I bet more Pulp Fiction posters were saved for the collectors' market than Sex in the City.  So likely more PF exist.  

But then there's that whole demand angle to consider...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:42:28 PM by CSM »
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4270 on: April 14, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »
I actually believe Egbert, who claims that Miramax printed and sold ten thousand Pulp Fiction posters for $7.50 each to dealers, which explains why there are so many out there. Several dealers are sitting on huge piles of them.

IMO the same situation applies to many popular 80s/90s posters, including Blade Runner, Thing, etc.  The endless supply of these posters - in mint unused and rolled condition - cannot be explained in any other way.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:54:47 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4271 on: April 14, 2013, 09:37:22 PM »
I don't know anything about the Egbert story, though I would tend to doubt such a program existed under the auspices of management. Was he referring to Miramax warehouse East or Miramax warehouse West? I know exactly what happened to the material in Miramax warehouse East

on stock quantities.. Look, there are lots of people like myself who bought and warehoused material for years that had no value or little value and for every poster that became good, I have loads that still have no value.

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4272 on: April 14, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »
Follow the link here.  Egbert - in his usual kooky and meandering style - names several Miramax officials:

http://shop.vendio.com/comicod/item/758057218/index.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:10:47 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4273 on: April 14, 2013, 10:15:53 PM »
I'll ask Greg about his story, but it just doesn't hold up. Was someone there back-dooring them? Well, that's what happens mostly. Does the studio have time to deal with a piddly movie poster sales division? never happen.. not enough $ in it

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4274 on: April 14, 2013, 10:34:42 PM »
I'll ask Greg about his story, but it just doesn't hold up. Was someone there back-dooring them? Well, that's what happens mostly. Does the studio have time to deal with a piddly movie poster sales division? never happen.. not enough $ in it

According to BoxOfficeMojo, Pulp Fiction was showing in 1,400 theaters at its peak.  

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=pulpfiction.htm

The number of posters floating around 20 years later is not commensurate with the 1,500 figure.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:35:17 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »