Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2217052 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4000 on: March 10, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »
Don't worry PS this topic will come up again......., and again....., and again....., and....well you get the picture... ;)

I say let the guests decide weather to delete it....   If they post it stays, if they don't it goes.... :D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4001 on: March 10, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »
One surefire way to get it deleted (or locked) is to turn it into a gambling thread.  Who's up for that?  8)
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4002 on: March 10, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »
I bet they won't delete it... 8)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #4003 on: March 10, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »

, and hardly anyone else does (unless it is to point out something that has gone too high).

laugh1.  Gotta love that self-deprecating sense of humor.  I think it is a given, that certain well known auction houses do enough promoting, that chatter about what is low really has no impact. One cannot really out a M/M or a Signature.  And I think it would be too hard to out a weekly auction, since prices rise dramatically in the last ten minutes.

I think the culprit would be ebay and craigslist where some sellers have no idea about posters and have the price set really low.  Occasionally those slip through to those who invest the time.  But I have no horse in this race since I do not scour the Earth for bargains.

Brian

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Bruce

« Reply #4004 on: March 10, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
I was talking about THIS THREAD only. Obviously I promote my auctions in the two appropriate places (Dealer's Forum and For Sale), but nowhere else.

Isn't that how it should be?

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4005 on: March 10, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »
One surefire way to get it deleted (or locked) is to turn it into a gambling thread.  Who's up for that?  8)

Wanna bet that the admins won't delete it?  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4006 on: March 10, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Did you not see my bet Matias...

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4007 on: March 10, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »
Did you not see my bet Matias...

Damn, I didn't  eyeroll
I bet it won't happen again  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4008 on: March 10, 2013, 02:58:26 PM »
Wanna bet that the admins won't delete it?  ;)

Hey Matias, I bet the admins wont delete this thread.   cheers

wynk

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 02:59:07 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #4009 on: March 10, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
BALLOT -LET ME ASK

So, in the hypothetical case that there was an auction say on a Casablanca 6 Sheet. And say, in the hypothetical case that one particular APF member might want to discuss the mid-auction progress of that poster (not sure who that might be by the way).....

You all saying that there is no way or place in this forum, where these discussion could take place? If so, then fine. But I am just asking because there could be some HYPOTHETICAL mid-action analysis that I thought might be worth discussing...

Not sure if I am allowed to vote here. Am I.. or I am not.. If so, I am cool either way.

My final say on this matter will be that I do not believe in censorship. But I believe in DEMOCRACY. That's my sin.

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4010 on: March 10, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »
BALLOT -LET ME ASK

So, in the hypothetical case that there was an auction say on a Casablanca 6 Sheet. And say, in the hypothetical case that one particular APF member might want to discuss the mid-auction progress of that poster (not sure who that might be by the way).....

You all saying that there is no way or place in this forum, where these discussion could take place? If so, then fine. But I am just asking because there could be some HYPOTHETICAL mid-action analysis that I thought might be worth discussing...

Not sure if I am allowed to vote here. Am I.. or I am not.. If so, I am cool either way.

My final say on this matter will be that I do not believe in censorship. But I believe in DEMOCRACY. That's my sin.

According to Mel, once it goes over $1000, its ok.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4011 on: March 10, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »
Rosa - you will need to read through this LONG thread (unfortunately) to get a better sense of the argument on both sides.

It's "outing" those obscure auctions at seemingly low bids that causes ire amongst those that don't agree with it.  A Heritage auction (and specifically a Casablanca 6 sheet at a Heritage auction) is extremely high profile and obviously does not fit the bill.  

For me (as the earlier arguments went over substantially) it's posting an unnoticed or low profile auction that that person has no intention of bidding on that creates the most angst!

My opinions of course...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4012 on: March 10, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
It has nothing to do with censorship or democracy (although of course in reality democracy has heavy doses of censorship) - it's about etiquette - as the arguments have stated.

PM functionality is there for a reason...
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4013 on: March 10, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »
According to Mel, once it goes over $1000, its ok.

Please do not drag me into this never-ending argument.  I'll just say that Holiday decreed long ago that there are no restrictions. I respect that certain people - and you know who you are - do occasionally find stellar bargains from obscure sources.  I think the appropriate compromise is to limit discussions of pending auctions to reasonably-prominent and reasonably-publicized auctions like the recent Dewey Law Firm auction.  Yes, it's impossible to precisely define what "reasonable" is but just use common sense.

I agree with Brian there's no reason to limit discussion of major Emovie/Heritage auctions.  

As far as Ebay, I'd check the number of watchers on WatchedItem.com, number of bidders, value, etc. before discussing it.  At a certain point, it becomes clear that it will go to fair market value and it's silly to restrict discussion of it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:37:11 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Mirosae

« Reply #4014 on: March 10, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »

PM functionality is there for a reason...

Chris, agree that the PM functionality is there for a reason. That's why I have used it with you.

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4015 on: March 10, 2013, 03:39:46 PM »
Please do not drag me into this never-ending argument.  

Sorry, next time I will simply quote what you said before.  You long ago dragged yourself into it.  I was only attempting to answer Rosa's question by pointing out what another member had decided was an appropriate threshold for posting an in progress auction.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:44:03 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4016 on: March 10, 2013, 03:59:45 PM »
Not sure that craigslist is considered an auction per se and didn't think this needed its own thread (apologies if I was wrong), but came across this in my local craigslist:

Original, 1967 large french version Cool Hand Luke movie poster - $2400

Am leaving the country for a new job & selling my things.
My favorite movie, maybe one of yours too.
What we have here is... An original, 1967, very large, numbered, professionally backed at a cost of more than $1,000, French version Cool Hand Luke movie poster. Poster purchased in Paris, poster backed by John Annesley, California.
The poster alone cost $1,800.
The poster has not one flaw, the color is rich and beautiful, the backing is flawless.
Height 61 inches, 46 wide
$2,400 Firm.

Would that be considered a 6-sheet? Are those typically numbered? Is it normal to be mounted on a wood frame like that? Thought it was a nice poster, but nothing I could afford. Was just curious.

Hey Mike, are you in NorCal?
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #4017 on: March 10, 2013, 05:03:56 PM »

I agree with Brian there's no reason to limit discussion of major Emovie/Heritage auctions.  

Oh my, the reasonable thought of Jesusland has infiltrated Mel's core. Don't worry Mel, your DC cynicism will return by the end of the weekend.
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4018 on: March 10, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
BALLOT -LET ME ASK

HYPOTHETICALS:
1. What if you found a previously unknown Casablanca 6-sheet in a small local auction with a starting bid of $100?
2. What if said previously unknown copy was on eBay listed in the wrong category and they spelled it Casa Blanca, also with a starting bid of $100?   
3. What if it was one of two known copies in a HA's high profile and widely publicized signature auction and had a starting of bid of $30k and an estimate of $60-120k? 

For each of these questions, would you A) bid on the item and B) discuss it here BEFORE the auction ended?

Obviously I presented some pretty black and white situations.  The questions get more interesting as the profiles of the auctions and the starting prices increase.  What is the cutoff before you decide to discuss publicly?  What if you only had $5k to spend on posters and we are talking about Hypothetical 1, but with an opening price of $10k?  Having already left your price range, would you decide to discuss it here publicly before the auction ended?  Would you PM other members you knew to be interested in Bogart?  What if you suspected another member or two might discover it as well, would you still take it public? 

The point is there are lots personal judgement calls in that grey area... I'm just asking people to be considerate of other members before posting.  Even if a poster has left your price range, it might still be a bargain to another member.  You gain or lose nothing at that point by waiting a few days until the auction has ended to post.  Food for thought...

Bruce

« Reply #4019 on: March 10, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4020 on: March 10, 2013, 05:47:36 PM »

Don't complain to us Bruce... you LITERALLY started it!   ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:48:00 PM by Harry Caul »

Bruce

« Reply #4021 on: March 10, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »
Don't complain to us Bruce... you LITERALLY started it!   ;D

Then shouldn't I be allowed to end it?

qip happy1 laugh1 woohoo cool1

sm1

Mirosae

« Reply #4022 on: March 10, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »
HYPOTHETICALS:
1. What if you found a previously unknown Casablanca 6-sheet in a small local auction with a starting bid of $100?
2. What if said previously unknown copy was on eBay listed in the wrong category and they spelled it Casa Blanca, also with a starting bid of $100?   
3. What if it was one of two known copies in a HA's high profile and widely publicized signature auction and had a starting of bid of $30k and an estimate of $60-120k? 

For each of these questions, would you A) bid on the item and B) discuss it here BEFORE the auction ended?

Obviously I presented some pretty black and white situations.  The questions get more interesting as the profiles of the auctions and the starting prices increase.  What is the cutoff before you decide to discuss publicly?  What if you only had $5k to spend on posters and we are talking about Hypothetical 1, but with an opening price of $10k?  Having already left your price range, would you decide to discuss it here publicly before the auction ended?  Would you PM other members you knew to be interested in Bogart?  What if you suspected another member or two might discover it as well, would you still take it public? 

The point is there are lots personal judgement calls in that grey area... I'm just asking people to be considerate of other members before posting.  Even if a poster has left your price range, it might still be a bargain to another member.  You gain or lose nothing at that point by waiting a few days until the auction has ended to post.  Food for thought...

Of course Matt, there are many hypothetical situations and not right or wrong answers and far too many grey areas. My point is simply this. Let's not forget that there is another side to every argument. We also need to be considerate of others who might decide to go public with their findings. For whatever reason, whether they will buy it or not.

My preferred choice is, and it has always been using the PM system anyway.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4023 on: March 10, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
 Holy Cow, when do you sleep Rich!  Do you have a cell phone app that rings you everytime someone on APF yanks your chain?  It is 7am here, the forum clock has not sprung forward.

no I go to sleep around 3am my time. that is 6am your time. it was daylight savings time, so you lost an hour

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4024 on: March 10, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »
I don't even know why it's a discussion. Holiday & Thierry have already said multiple times that the thread exists and they will make no restrictions.

you live with the rules you have, or lack of.
If you want the thread to disappear, stop posting in it. If you don't want to read what's in it you don't have to.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------