Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2222432 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3975 on: March 10, 2013, 12:41:34 AM »

I think the key here is informative vs. inflamatory/derogatory.  I think HC was intending to be informative letting a new-ish member know that he might possibly step in a pile of doo-doo by posting auctions, thereby giving them higher visibility and a greater hammer price.  I do not think his intent was to be critical, inflamatory, derogatory, or exclusionary towards any group here.  

Agreed.  HC is an alright guy, and he's not one of the adjectives you mentioned above.  He really wasn't "chastising" the guy, I apologize for saying that, it was just bad timing for him to be critical of someone's comment, considering the new "history of the hobby" thread, and more or less "informing" someone to not make such a comment.  We don't all have to agree with the "not outing auctions" etiquette, it just makes for a lot of people biting their tongue, when that's kind of the antithesis of a place like this, and the other thread, where it would be really cool to hear some classic stories about this stuff.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3976 on: March 10, 2013, 12:49:56 AM »
We don't all have to agree with the "not outing auctions" etiquette, it just makes for a lot of people biting their tongue, when that's kind of the antithesis of a place like this, and the other thread, where it would be really cool to hear some classic stories about this stuff.

Everyone wants to hear great stories... that is what the post-auction thread is for :)

I don't want to drag this out and I don't like to go to bed angry, so please just remember that I'm not arguing for censorship, just thoughtfulness and courtesy when posting. cheers

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3977 on: March 10, 2013, 12:52:05 AM »
Opprobrious?
Jeezum, I had to look that one up.

Yeah - that's impressive!
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3978 on: March 10, 2013, 03:14:22 AM »
here's some food for thought.

• what one person thinks is untoward, other people have a variant opinion
  • guest viewers who may not post are providing no less than alot of people who do post
  • those who don't know, want to hear from those who do
  • those who know usually get the short end of the stick telling stories to those who don't know
  • living by the rules someone else wants  you to live by to protect their own interests is a false dichotomy
  • you don't have to like what people say
  • they definitely don't have to like what you say
  • if you don't like the way that works, who effin cares?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:14:59 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Matt

« Reply #3979 on: March 10, 2013, 03:41:33 AM »
And your third point Rich relates to those members who DON'T POST AT ALL but are in it for the information via PM'S to active members.

Anyone received any of those?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3980 on: March 10, 2013, 03:52:39 AM »
no, my third point is that there are many people who post who post nothing, so they contribute no more than those who just stop by to read
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:53:49 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Matt

« Reply #3981 on: March 10, 2013, 03:57:27 AM »
Sorry Rich, then I'm making that point. ;)

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3982 on: March 10, 2013, 04:04:43 AM »
false dichotomy

You probably needed to look this term up before using it in a sentence.

By definition, a false dichotomy has two halves, options, or conclusions often presented as an either/or or if/then statement when in reality it should be an "if this, or this, if this, or that, then this or, or this, or that."  The single option you presented does not make up a dichotomy, and I fail to see what is false about living by someone else's rules to protect their interest.  It may not be the smartest thing, but it does not contain the logical fallacy that constitutes the "false" portion of a false dichotomy

False dichotomy: If I do not sell this gas guzzling truck, then I am not going to be able to put food on the table.

Truth: Either I sell this truck, sell my house, get a better job, stop snorting the blow, collect my wife's life insurance, etc or.........

They are heard daily by TV advertising trying to trick John Q. Public into buying a product.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3983 on: March 10, 2013, 04:07:03 AM »
Well summed up, Rich. thumbup

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3984 on: March 10, 2013, 04:19:54 AM »
Kovacs.. the dichotomy is that they want you to live by their rules, but you want to live by your own.
it is a word that has different meanings and can be used in variant ways, much like  Opprobrious also has variant usage

and yes Neo.. I thought that was pretty much it. Realistically, there are few actual contributors to any forum by membership % and I fail to see how any of them are more important than any of the others. How about this, I know several people who stop by here to read and are not members, but who are in the film industry. Maybe their contribution to this forum was upstream in a different  way than direct contribution to this forum. Maybe the resident plagarist here has taken images or texts from the film maker's webpage, linked to a youtube video or quoted from the films they have worked on. Does that not mean they have a contribution?

Over at the CGC boards, which have tens of thousands members, there used to be a rule that you couldn't complain on the boards about people talking about current auctions<<< how do you like that rule!

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3985 on: March 10, 2013, 04:23:23 AM »
I wonder why no one posted about the Murder My Sweet hs that popped up on ebay and ended a couple days ago. It popped up the day after I posted how I had only seen that poster twice before and I have one of the ones I had seen. It went for a low price

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3986 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:04 AM »
And I'm very pleased with the price I got it for, thanks to no one outing it... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3987 on: March 10, 2013, 04:33:46 AM »
And I'm very pleased with the price I got it for, thanks to no one outing it... ;)

?????

am I missing something here?

ps. I might add, I know exactly who won the MMS hs.. it ain't you

;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:35:18 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3988 on: March 10, 2013, 04:36:08 AM »
Shhhh :-X ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #3989 on: March 10, 2013, 06:26:58 AM »

My 2 cents:

1.  The mid-auction thread was started by Bruce.  Obviously, Bruce believed that such a thread would
    draw more attention to his auctions = higher prices.

2.  Since this thread has continued for over two years, then the powers that be have not
     established a "non-outing" rule.

3.  There seems to be about 100 more guests at anytime logged in than members. Unless, David thinks
     this number is inflated like MPF.   wynk

4.  I agree that PM's work better, but the occasional "hey look at this" won't cause the Earth to stop  
     spinning.

5.  Hearing Rich argue about the usage of a "false dichotomy" is amusing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:28:09 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3990 on: March 10, 2013, 06:51:40 AM »
5.  Hearing Rich argue about the usage of a "false dichotomy" is amusing.

I thought Kovacs arguing about the usage was amusing myself, though I wouldn't quite say it was opprobrious

-------

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #3991 on: March 10, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »
  Holy Cow, when do you sleep Rich!  Do you have a cell phone app that rings you everytime someone on APF yanks your chain?  It is 7am here, the forum clock has not sprung forward.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:01:17 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Bruce

« Reply #3992 on: March 10, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
My 2 cents:

1.  The mid-auction thread was started by Bruce.  Obviously, Bruce believed that such a thread would
    draw more attention to his auctions = higher prices.

2.  Since this thread has continued for over two years, then the powers that be have not
     established a "non-outing" rule.

When people complained right after I started it (as a joke) I told them to delete it. They didn't. I never use it to publicize my auctions, and hardly anyone else does (unless it is to point out something that has gone too high).

It is still fine with me to delete this thread.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3993 on: March 10, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »
This thread is an abomination, it should be deleted

Bruce

« Reply #3994 on: March 10, 2013, 09:51:22 AM »
This thread is an abomination, it should be deleted

Why not simply take a vote among those who post regularly (like 50 posts the past month, or some number)?

I vote to delete it.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3995 on: March 10, 2013, 10:08:58 AM »
Why not simply take a vote among those who post regularly (like 50 posts the past month, or some number)?

I vote to delete it.
Why restrict voting.?
Every member is equal.

Stew

Bruce

« Reply #3996 on: March 10, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »
Absolutely. We should care about those who take but never give. That IS the American way, after all.

OK, let everyone vote. Maybe it will cause lurkers to finally post.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3997 on: March 10, 2013, 10:21:28 AM »
Absolutely. We should care about those who take but never give. That IS the American way, after all.

OK, let everyone vote. Maybe it will cause lurkers to finally post.
Nice way to treat guests...

Stew

ps.

« Reply #3998 on: March 10, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »
i awoke this morning to discover that my ill-begotten post of yesterday provided quite the fodder for overnight discussion. and while i'd ordinarily gladly accept responsibility for bringing about a philosophical debate over the equality of man (ala registered v. guest), and the usage of such fancy rhetoric (opprobrious...i'm much impressed), this time i do so with a heavy heart.

i fully understand both sides of the argument and can sympathize with both parties. though i don't anticipate ever reaching all that high of a post count, perhaps i'll better get to know some of you so that i don't need to use the public thread. one thing i do know for sure is that i won't be stirring up this debate ever again.

anyway, that is all...please resume whatever normalcy existed before i arrived here.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3999 on: March 10, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »
anyway, that is all...please resume whatever normalcy existed before i arrived here.

oK nO wORRIES