Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203404 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3850 on: February 27, 2013, 02:12:57 PM »
If you don't have many posters a Browser and some poster sleeves maybe the way to go. Good for looking at them, and as I do, stand them all over the place..

What is a 'Browser'?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3851 on: February 27, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »
Polyethylene is an inferior product to polyester Tob. If you search for Polyester (Mylar) sleeves on Bags Unlimited's site they do 25 pockets (size 31" x 43") for $206.20. I imagine that with shipping and import duties the final price will be similar to Preservation Equipment's delivered price.

Mark

Ah yes, that is a fairer comparison in terms of the price of the preservation equipment sleeves. Is the main difference the rigidity of Mylar?

I find the Poly bags good for my needs as they're acid free and as most of my posters are cheap, it's only fair the bags are too! The 4mil ones are also fairly rigid (although nothing like Mylar I imagine).

I really like sleeves - I used to kick myself for accidentally causing edge damage when handling posters and they have stopped this happening. They help flatten rolled posters and folded posters and keep things neat and tidy. My only slight concern is screen prints during the summer months, but I haven't seen any signs of paint transferring over to the bag...perhaps it's just not warm enough over here!

Mirosae

« Reply #3852 on: February 27, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »
Mine cost me £30 and £45 ....

I never use bags in the chest, the posters lay on each other nicely..  

that cheap?  is this the chest? if so, that's really a good price....Where did you get it..IKEA?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3853 on: February 27, 2013, 03:45:25 PM »
I'm guessing used on Craigslist Rosa... that is where many of us search for cheap flat file cabinets.  I found one for $75.

Mirosae

« Reply #3854 on: February 27, 2013, 03:51:11 PM »
I'm guessing used on Craigslist Rosa... that is where many of us search for cheap flat file cabinets.  I found one for $75.

Harry, thanks a lot thumbup....I was going to check IKEA!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3855 on: February 27, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
Or office salvage stores. They are a small fortune new, but when people are ready to get rid of them they can be found dirt cheap.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3856 on: February 27, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »
No picked mine up on Ebay about 4 years back. When you get away from the capital prices on everything are much more realistic. And just for the record, I hate Ikea with a passion. I went once, worst shopping experience ever, a horrible place..

Harry this is a poster sleeve browser....

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3857 on: February 27, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »
I got you now Paul.  Thanks.

Someone really needs to figure out a better storage system.  One that allows flat storage, holds lots of posters, doesn't take up too much room, but also easy browsing.  Flat files meet 1, 2 & 3, and the Browser meets 1 & 4, but there really isn't anything that does it all.  The closest I can think of would be a flat file with a good photography setup and an online database. 

Mirosae

« Reply #3858 on: February 27, 2013, 04:50:32 PM »
I got you now Paul.  Thanks.

Someone really needs to figure out a better storage system.  One that allows flat storage, holds lots of posters, doesn't take up too much room, but also easy browsing.  Flat files meet 1, 2 & 3, and the Browser meets 1 & 4, but there really isn't anything that does it all.  The closest I can think of would be a flat file with a good photography setup and an online database. 

I'm with you here. 100%.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3859 on: February 27, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »
Someone really needs to figure out a better storage system.  One that allows flat storage, holds lots of posters, doesn't take up too much room, but also easy browsing.  Flat files meet 1, 2 & 3, and the Browser meets 1 & 4, but there really isn't anything that does it all.  The closest I can think of would be a flat file with a good photography setup and an online database.  

I believe they are called Museums and/or Art Galleries.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:51:48 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3860 on: February 27, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »
There are vertical plan chests, you hang the plans/posters in hangers, which can be looked through like those commercial poster displays. The problem with these is they don't store as many posters as the flat file for the space they take up.

And you forgot to add Harry, 5. the flat file flattens the folds out of your posters over time, which is great... ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3861 on: February 27, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
Just hang or frame everything - yay!
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #3862 on: February 27, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »
Just hang or frame everything - yay!

Not enough walls

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3863 on: February 27, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »

Not enough walls

Use the ceiling and the floor too silly
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3864 on: February 27, 2013, 04:55:49 PM »
I must say though Harry,   Storage and display are two different things entirely...

Mirosae

« Reply #3865 on: February 27, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »

done that already, silly

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3866 on: February 27, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
My criteria were for storage only -- the main thing missing there is how to browse the collection easily/safely.    

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3867 on: February 27, 2013, 04:59:20 PM »

Just have a high stud

David

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3868 on: February 27, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »
My criteria were for storage only -- the main thing missing there is how to browse the collection easily/safely.    

Assign each draw a genre and then Alphabetise it, make a logbook of what is where, and you will know exactly where everything is....

Unlike me.. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3869 on: February 27, 2013, 05:06:08 PM »

Assign each draw a genre and then Alphabetise it, make a logbook of what is where, and you will know exactly where everything is....

Unlike me.. 

I like the "put them all in the attic" plan though Paul ;)  It makes it a treasure hunt each time!
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3870 on: February 27, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »
Thanks Chris, I'm glad you liked that plan.... ;D  Even though it cost me some hours on the hunt for single posters, I felt just like Indy....

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3871 on: February 28, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
Just have a high stud

outstanding display

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #3872 on: February 28, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »
This looks like the BFI in London. Great place to look at posters, when they do decide to put up exhibitions!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3873 on: February 28, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
Los Angeles County Museum of Art on view until June 30, 2013

From the museum:

The exhibition covers the breadth of Kubrick’s practice, beginning with his early photographs for Look magazine, taken in the 1940s, and continuing with his groundbreaking directorial achievements of the 1950s through the 1990s. His films are represented through a selection of annotated scripts, production photography, lenses and cameras, set models, costumes, and props. In addition, the exhibition explores Napoleon and The Aryan Papers, two projects that Kubrick never completed, as well as the technological advances developed and utilized by Kubrick and his team. By featuring this legendary film auteur and his oeuvre as the focus of his first retrospective in the context of an art museum, the exhibition reevaluates how we define the artist in the 21st century, and simultaneously expands upon LACMA’s commitment to exploring the intersection of art and film.
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3874 on: February 28, 2013, 06:35:53 PM »
Los Angeles County Museum of Art on view until June 30, 2013

From the museum:

The exhibition covers the breadth of Kubrick’s practice, beginning with his early photographs for Look magazine, taken in the 1940s, and continuing with his groundbreaking directorial achievements of the 1950s through the 1990s. His films are represented through a selection of annotated scripts, production photography, lenses and cameras, set models, costumes, and props. In addition, the exhibition explores Napoleon and The Aryan Papers, two projects that Kubrick never completed, as well as the technological advances developed and utilized by Kubrick and his team. By featuring this legendary film auteur and his oeuvre as the focus of his first retrospective in the context of an art museum, the exhibition reevaluates how we define the artist in the 21st century, and simultaneously expands upon LACMA’s commitment to exploring the intersection of art and film.

I will have to make a trip over there. Looks great!  thumbup

-Jeff