Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203763 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3750 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »
Gentlemen,

I shall be most greateful to the Hon Gentlemen if they could provide some much needed assistance. I saw this currently in auction and wondered if the Hon Gentlemen would care the respond to the following question: Is it a fake? It does appear to me.

Yours faithfully, etc

Me, myself and me laptop

ps- meaning, it is a herald, it looks dogie, and i do not collect them but like the look at them. not this one tho

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-PASSAGE-HUMPHREY-BOGART-LAUREN-BACALL-FILM-NOIR-SPANISH-HERALD-MINI-POSTER-/150925631360?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2323de5f80

Sure looks real to me.  But just be warned these heralds are pretty tiny!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3751 on: February 19, 2013, 07:37:36 PM »
Gentlemen,

I shall be most greateful to the Hon Gentlemen if they could provide some much needed assistance. I saw this currently in auction and wondered if the Hon Gentlemen would care the respond to the following question: Is it a fake? It does appear to me.

Yours faithfully, etc

Me, myself and me laptop

ps- meaning, it is a herald, it looks dogie, and i do not collect them but like the look at them. not this one tho

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-PASSAGE-HUMPHREY-BOGART-LAUREN-BACALL-FILM-NOIR-SPANISH-HERALD-MINI-POSTER-/150925631360?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2323de5f80

Rosa,

I would think this is real. The print alignment was off, is all. And it is only 4x6 inches too.

This seller doesnt have a reputation for selling fakes.  ;)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:38:02 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3752 on: February 19, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »
Herald looks fine, although the print seems misaligned or something.
I like heralds also
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Mirosae

« Reply #3753 on: February 19, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »
Thank you all for such a great-speedy responses. It is for my sis, we just thought it looked odd, but glad you all think it is ok.

I love the herals (size is not all that matters in this life!).  :)

MANY THANKS!

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #3754 on: February 19, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »
This was shown here previously, but I see it is listed again, with an opening bid of $4999.00.

The seller says it has been relisted due to "Auction Tampering." I wonder what that means?   :-\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-SHEET-only-known-copy-THE-SPIDER-1931-Fox-Horror-EDMUND-LOWE-William-Menzies-/261172326719?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccf15713f

Keep dreaming.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #3755 on: February 20, 2013, 12:28:37 AM »
Gentlemen,

Yours faithfully, etc

Me, myself and me laptop

Rosa, it does look bad, but no fake. Just seems to have some registration problems. Seller is highly trustable. I bought from him a while back.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Mirosae

« Reply #3756 on: February 20, 2013, 08:11:59 AM »
Seller is highly trustable. I bought from him a while back.

Matias, many thanks. That statement settles the matter. Thanks for responding, I love those heralds. Muchas gracias por responder. R

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3757 on: February 22, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »
I just saw this US insert for the film, That Hamilton Woman, being offered. It has a reserve, with a $9.99 opening bid. However, when looking at the pics, this piece looks to have been airbrushed and painted, almost from top to bottom in spots. The image of Leigh on the left looks fine, but everything, down to the HANDWRITTEN (with a fine tipped sharpie, it looks like) info on the bottom border, is wrong and off.

Even the circular image at the bottom with Leigh and Olivier looks totally recreated and airbrushed- it doesnt look bad as far as an airbrushed, created image goes, but on the original, it is a photograph. Areas near the top credits look like paint is peeling away and closeup images make it look like much of it has an overall airbrushed appearance. Even the text info in the black box is different, and the yellow, printed area under it and to the left is missing.  :P  (An HA image is to the right of the ebay copy for comparison):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-THAT-HAMILTON-WOMAN-ORIGINAL-VERTICAL-INSERT-WONDERFUL-MOVIE-POSTER-/251233587124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7eb04fb4

I wrote the seller. I guess we will see if any reply is forthcoming.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:44:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #3758 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:06 PM »
Sharpie doesn't smear... Probably tried to hand paint the text or use one of those pens with the ink that sits up.  The stuff in the box is also different; it may be a re-release...  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:49:57 PM by Charlie »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3759 on: February 22, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
And the word "completion" was also written in and spelled as "compleation."

On the original, it is printed with the former spelling.

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3760 on: February 22, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »
Bad resto job me thinks
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3761 on: February 22, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »
It is curious, isnt it Chris? Considering too, that parts of the text and color palette are off and different, as mentioned. Not only is the lower left void of the yellow, but the background color in the circular portrait has gone from dark blue to a more lavender color and the first circle around that same portrait has gone from yellow to white.

A possible re-release? Could be. But if that was the case, it would not have the ® 1941 written on it. It would reflect a later re-release year.*

And one would almost think that the time it took to create the painted image of Leigh and Olivier would have been used on a first release and a photo on a later re-release (but wasnt, of course, as the HA copy shows).

Interesting, to say the least.

And the handwritten info on the bottom border takes the cake for me.  8)

*Just looked on imdb. The film was re-released in 1947, in the US, by Film Classics.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #3762 on: February 22, 2013, 06:56:53 PM »
This is Marlow's style work, detective's work.  I gather one needs good techy around to spot these things. This the sort of thing I hope to do with menewest Macfriend!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:18:44 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:23:32 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3765 on: February 22, 2013, 07:25:14 PM »
They are not the same copy of the daybill.  ;)

Actually I realised that...I should have put a winky smiley face at the end of the comment  ;) :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:26:02 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3766 on: February 22, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »
I wonder what the lucky buyer will find in the hole of this one?   :o
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3767 on: February 22, 2013, 08:02:04 PM »
I wonder what the lucky buyer will find in the hole of this one?   :o

That's it's not a hole but a rip in the space–time continuum...?

David

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3768 on: February 22, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »
If the rating was NOT SUITABLE FOR GENERAL EXHIBITION, I wonder if Andy censored these posters, you know he doesn't like links to other forums.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Matt

« Reply #3769 on: February 22, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »

That's it's not a hole but a rip in the space–time continuum...?

Now that's clever!  laugh1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3770 on: February 22, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »
If the rating was NOT SUITABLE FOR GENERAL EXHIBITION, I wonder if Andy censored these posters, you know he doesn't like links to other forums.

Can someone please photoshop that and put this in there?

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3771 on: February 22, 2013, 08:22:10 PM »

Now that's clever!  laugh1

An endless supply!
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3772 on: February 22, 2013, 08:33:23 PM »
World's fastest attempted flip...?

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/9629238.html

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2885706

yep.. definitely not wise to immediately put another copy of this poster up not only just in a near time period to the first, much less one week later

the $320 purchase for the first one will be followed up by steep drop. How should the customer feel about that?

I could single-handed turn Pulp Fiction into a $25 poster if I wanted to, but what purpose would that serve?

this is representative of very poor stewardship of the material and a complete negative to the hobby
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:35:10 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3773 on: February 22, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »
yep.. definitely not wise to immediately put another copy of this poster up not only just in a near time period to the first, much less one week later

the $320 purchase for the first one will be followed up by steep drop. How should the customer feel about that?

I could single-handed turn Pulp Fiction into a $25 poster if I wanted to, but what purpose would that serve?

this is representative of very poor stewardship of the material and a complete negative to the hobby

How is artificially inflating the price of a poster by holding back the supply better?  Other than for the seller/consignor of course...
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3774 on: February 22, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
How is artificially inflating the price of a poster by holding back the supply better?  Other than for the seller/consignor of course...

the price wasn't artificially created, but it is going to be deliberately undermined

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------