Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203571 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3675 on: February 12, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »
Paul, did you ever hear the "dress for success" line? People who wear suits are more likely to deal with people who wear suits. the "suit" is like entre nous to the private club of theirs.
In this case, that seller "wears a suit" and so other suit wearers trust them to do business honestly. They pays their monies and they gets their stuff. At the same time, to these people, their time is worth alot of money, not necessarily because they spend their time working to make money, but because their portfolio pay them a huge dividend that equals X dollars per second. So even if they never work (because someone else really manages the money), they consider theior time worth $xxxx.xx per hour. Spending an hour looking for a better price on a FRWL poster = may as well just pay the price here. The final factor is this: "if I have 20million, who cares if I waste 20,000?"

these aren't collectors like you and I

Or another way to say it is that these customers want the best and are willing to pay the premium to have somebody else search it out and make it right.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3676 on: February 12, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
Or another way to say it is that these customers want the best and are willing to pay the premium to have somebody else search it out and make it right.

one correction: they want to believe they are getting the best

wynk

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #3677 on: February 12, 2013, 04:59:08 PM »
one correction: they want to believe they are getting the best

wynk

Bueller?
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3678 on: February 12, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »

Bueller?

answered alrady in the other thread

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #3679 on: February 12, 2013, 05:26:44 PM »
In my mind this is all about a simple statement of fact. Money and freedom to spend it as you wish.

Are they getting a good deal? I don't know.  I do know they get the posters. I am talking here the King Kongs and those in that sort of league.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3680 on: February 12, 2013, 05:49:09 PM »
In my mind this is all about a simple statement of fact. Money and freedom to spend it as you wish.

Are they getting a good deal? I don't know.  I do know they get the posters. I am talking here the King Kongs and those in that sort of league.

cheers

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3681 on: February 12, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
In my mind this is all about a simple statement of fact. Money and freedom to spend it as you wish. .

sm1

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3682 on: February 13, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
I think you guys are missing the point. It's not the buyer, We have been through the why's and where for's about rich Buyers before. It's the Shop/Gallery selling.... Is there enough trade to keep them afloat?  The shop would have to have quite some turn over to keep going... otherwise they will close like the "cheaper" poster selling shops.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3683 on: February 13, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
Attack of the 50 Ft Woman

BIN: $13,450 (or make offer)

The seller's picture of the full poster is cropped a bit at the top, sides and bottom. He states it is 27x41 and linen backed. In looking at the closeup photo of part of the credits, it appears that touch up paint was applied to wrinkles/creases that were present.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330795130347

-Jeff

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3684 on: February 13, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »
I think you guys are missing the point. It's not the buyer, We have been through the why's and where for's about rich Buyers before. It's the Shop/Gallery selling.... Is there enough trade to keep them afloat?  The shop would have to have quite some turn over to keep going... otherwise they will close like the "cheaper" poster selling shops.

I wonder this about some shops (e.g. some little boutique in Knightsbridge...probably losing money hand over foot, but kept afloat by a rich husband/wife/parent as a project), but I could see that in a shop like that, the margin on their sales is probably so high that 3 or 4 big fish sales a month do the trick. There's far too much money swilling around in London.

Charlie

« Reply #3685 on: February 13, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
I wonder this about some shops (e.g. some little boutique in Knightsbridge...probably losing money hand over foot, but kept afloat by a rich husband/wife/parent as a project), but I could see that in a shop like that, the margin on their sales is probably so high that 3 or 4 big fish sales a month do the trick. There's far too much money swilling around in London.

Perhaps they own the building or something and only have to foot electric.  I also think online folks have it easy; I could easily see someone (even myself) listing posters within their collection for double replacement value to see if anyone would bite...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3686 on: February 13, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »
Attack of the 50 Ft Woman

BIN: $13,450 (or make offer)

Not exactly the best of condition...but my question is: when setting the price and once you get to $13K how do you decide that it's worth an extra $450?
David

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3687 on: February 13, 2013, 05:04:43 PM »
Not exactly the best of condition...but my question is: when setting the price and once you get to $13K how do you decide that it's worth an extra $450?

The $450 is the "or make offer" part :)
-Jay-

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3688 on: February 13, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
The $450 is the "or make offer" part :)

Yeah that's what I figured, but a 3% discount for cash? Ha! I laugh in the face of his economics stupidity!
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3689 on: February 13, 2013, 05:09:01 PM »

More like, not the best backing and touch up job...  ;)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #3690 on: February 13, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
There's far too much money swilling around in London.

True. Very true.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3691 on: February 13, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »
Those wrinkles at the credit area can happen VERY easily on linenbacked posters if not unrolled or laid flat carefully - hell handled carefully in general!

And the extra $450 possibly to cover some of the eBay fees?  Who knows why people set the prices they do - maybe it's their lucky #?
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3692 on: February 13, 2013, 05:46:42 PM »
Those wrinkles at the credit area can happen VERY easily on linenbacked posters if not unrolled or laid flat carefully - hell handled carefully in general!

And the extra $450 possibly to cover some of the eBay fees?  Who knows why people set the prices they do - maybe it's their lucky #?

True, but there are those wrinkles running thru "Directed By" that have been touched up with paint; these would have existed, prior to it being backed.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3693 on: February 14, 2013, 10:21:32 AM »
Uh, so are you basically paying for the frames on this one?
http://www.auctionzip.com/aflive.html?method=getLotInfo&lotref=5E31C029AE&seq=1

Sure it's a complete set, but they're all listed as 24x36.  :-\
Witty signature goes here.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Mirosae

« Reply #3695 on: February 15, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »
'SPOILER ALTERT!!!!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU CAN AFFORD POSTERS @  +$200K
(I assume it will go for that money..).

OMG, OMG, OMG.. just saw something that it is coming up for auction soon... OMG..a SIX SHEET  of certain poster. OMG.

Me knows me cannot bid, me knows me  will be watching the auction live and crying "me" eyes out...

Ah, had to say this, sharing the pain, none of the gain..

Ps- I will consider my options now: Option 1, win the lottery.  Option 2, rich husband methinks.. caramba

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3696 on: February 15, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »
Well, if by "see it" I assume you mean that it is currently listed with no photo yet?  If so I can probably guess which one you are after ;D

Mirosae

« Reply #3697 on: February 15, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »
 clap correct Harry! But I shall inform my Honorable Friend that I saw it (in my dreams, lots of times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3698 on: February 15, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »
OMG, OMG, OMG.. just saw something that it is coming up for auction soon... OMG..a SIX SHEET  of certain poster. OMG.

You can tell me, this secret will be safe with me.

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #3699 on: February 15, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
If it's the poster I think it is, it will be interesting to see if it goes for more than the insert did a few months ago ;)  Exciting!