Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203888 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3550 on: February 04, 2013, 11:54:15 PM »
I DO!!!

puke2

You should try 'em Thierry - pretty easy to frame...oh wait...
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3551 on: February 04, 2013, 11:56:51 PM »
You should try 'em Thierry - pretty easy to frame...oh wait...

sm1 wynk

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3552 on: February 05, 2013, 12:01:22 AM »
It's the size.  I just hate that size.  Which is also why I don't like Locandinas or Belgians.  Plus, I'm not a huge fan of Aussie poster designs in general.  They don't appeal to me.  I find them a little "heavy" for lack of a better word.  It's all in the eye of the beholder.  I don't like Belgians because there is too much writing, titles in French, English, Dutch, Flemish...  Bah, I'm sure some people hate the Grinssons, Soubies or Ballesters of the world.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3553 on: February 05, 2013, 12:05:22 AM »
Oh and they're in English too - helps when those uneducated guests come over while keeping the Frenchmen away ;)
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3554 on: February 05, 2013, 03:24:12 AM »
Btw, Mitch, if you read this, I just received my Durieux Jaws poster and it is a really nice piece.  The colors really pop.  Really nice work.  One of my favorite prints.

T
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3555 on: February 05, 2013, 06:56:19 AM »
I was an active collector of Mondo posters in the early years and and a loyal supporter of the company. I doubt anyone has a more complete collection of prints for the period 2005 - 2010. But I became cynical of their changing business model and the way they condoned and, dare I say, encouraged speculation and the growth of the secondary market. So, with one or two exceptions, I stopped buying new editions from 2011.

I do not believe there will be an equivalent of a beanie babies collapse in the future because there is an inherent high quality in much of the Mondo product (many critics will have never seen or handled their prints) and of course there are genuinely low numbers of each. However, there will inevitably be price adjustments in the future. This is of little or no consequence to the original purchasers of posters such as Phantom of the Opera who paid $30/$50 but it has to be a concern for someone spending $3500/$4000.

Mark  
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:57:24 AM by marklawd »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3556 on: February 05, 2013, 09:24:58 AM »
I was an active collector of Mondo posters in the early years and and a loyal supporter of the company. I doubt anyone has a more complete collection of prints for the period 2005 - 2010. But I became cynical of their changing business model and the way they condoned and, dare I say, encouraged speculation and the growth of the secondary market. So, with one or two exceptions, I stopped buying new editions from 2011.

Mark  

I'm number 2  ;)  End of 11' I stopped the buy everything mind set as well, but I still buy a boat load.

On edition size, they have upped the runs when comparing year over year edition sizes.

These have always been a supplement to movie posters, new art. In my mind it is comparable to a poster from another country, I buy for something different to the US one sheet. There is money to be made on these right now, that is a fact. Like T though, I dont really care about the value and a nose dive in prices would actually be nice so I could get those I missed the past couple years. I think the haters just don't see these in the right light. No one suggests to stop collecting movie posters and only buy prints.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3557 on: February 05, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »
 A Mole People insert. Bruce has sold these inserts from about $325 to $1100.00 (this one was back in 2004).

Here, for $4700.00 (obo and the frame is NOT included):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-1956-Mole-People-Original-Movie-Poster-Authentic-and-Very-Rare-/140913211085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cf14f6cd

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:37:54 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3558 on: February 05, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »
Another "I don't really want to sell this" auction
Chris

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3559 on: February 05, 2013, 02:05:37 PM »
Don't buy it! It's a trap!

Witty signature goes here.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3560 on: February 05, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »
Another "I don't really want to sell this" auction

;D

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #3561 on: February 05, 2013, 02:22:57 PM »

I do not believe there will be an equivalent of a beanie babies collapse in the future because there is an inherent high quality in much of the Mondo product (many critics will have never seen or handled their prints) and of course there are genuinely low numbers of each. However, there will inevitably be price adjustments in the future. This is of little or no consequence to the original purchasers of posters such as Phantom of the Opera who paid $30/$50 but it has to be a concern for someone spending $3500/$4000.

Mark 
I'm number 2  ;)  End of 11' I stopped the buy everything mind set as well, but I still buy a boat load.

On edition size, they have upped the runs when comparing year over year edition sizes.

These have always been a supplement to movie posters, new art. In my mind it is comparable to a poster from another country, I buy for something different to the US one sheet. There is money to be made on these right now, that is a fact. Like T though, I dont really care about the value and a nose dive in prices would actually be nice so I could get those I missed the past couple years. I think the haters just don't see these in the right light. No one suggests to stop collecting movie posters and only buy prints.

The fact that you two have dropped out is only evidence that the bubble is beginning to stretch...  Holiday has started to sell out too.  Lucky for T he doesn't care or he should probably sell everything within the next year or so...  It is simple supply/demand economics...  People drop out once things get too expensive or hard to get which, is caused by the high demand because there are more vultures waiting to take advantage of the demand which eventually kills demand.  Adjustment will take place until there is a middle ground.  But I think the biggest issue facing Mondo, is simply, 'how many posters can they keep making before people just don't care anymore...'  I mean how many Mondo posters do you need?  Everyone that wants a Mondo has one... People will continue to drop out because it is just too much of a hassle.  Mondo will eventually lose the 'completest' collectors whom will become more selective reducing overall demand and eventual flip price.  The best thing Mondo could do for itself is go back to 4-6 prints a month with a higher inventory allowing for the completest base to continue their collecting ways... These are the core of the business - the guys who want each release...  Nobody can keep up with 18 different $65 posters a month... Who can sustain that other than a business (flippers) or the wealthy...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3562 on: February 05, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »
The fact that you two have dropped out is only evidence that the bubble is beginning to stretch...  Holiday has started to sell out too.  Lucky for T he doesn't care or he should probably sell everything within the next year or so...  It is simple supply/demand economics...  People drop out once things get too expensive or hard to get which, is caused by the high demand because there are more vultures waiting to take advantage of the demand which eventually kills demand.  Adjustment will take place until there is a middle ground.  But I think the biggest issue facing Mondo, is simply, 'how many posters can they keep making before people just don't care anymore...'  I mean how many Mondo posters do you need?  Everyone that wants a Mondo has one... People will continue to drop out because it is just too much of a hassle.  Mondo will eventually lose the 'completest' collectors whom will become more selective reducing overall demand and eventual flip price.  The best thing Mondo could do for itself is go back to 4-6 prints a month with a higher inventory allowing for the completest base to continue their collecting ways... These are the core of the business - the guys who want each release...  Nobody can keep up with 18 different $65 posters a month... Who can sustain that other than a business (flippers) or the wealthy...

There seems to be a lot of anger in your argument, Charlie.  What is it?  Missed on too many prints?

I don't understand this argument of I should sell before the bubble bursts, if it bursts at all.  Mark did it, Holiday did it, Dale did it, blah blah blah.  I enjoy collecting prints, I still buy them whenever something pleases my eyes, like Jurassic Park, ET, Jaws and Precious Cargo recently.  I didn't buy Lost Boys, because I thought it was horrible, didn't buy Servants of Sauron for the same reason, and so on.  I buy what I like, I collect what I like.  Who gives a shit if it bursts, or doesn't bursts.  I'm a collector, I am not out there to make a profit but to enjoy a hobby.  If you collect for investment, do yourself a favor and find another hobby, for this one is not going anywhere.

T
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:56:35 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3563 on: February 05, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »
I didn't sell. I just stopped buying. I'm a collector not a seller and I don't care whether a bubble bursts or not either. One day, many years ahead of now, I will sell my poster collection and I will seek to get as much money as I can for it, given the prevailing market conditions at that time. I hope that I will at least get back what I have paid out over the years but I may get more (fingers crossed) or I may get less. Whatever happens won't bother me.

Mark

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3564 on: February 05, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
Nobody can keep up with 18 different $65 posters a month...

good point Charlie. One of the downfalls of the comic hobby was that because Marvel, DC and the other publishers recognized that a large portion of comic buyers (for newstand purchase) from the mid-80s on bought one copy of each comic book every month. Comic stores would order for their "pulls" (people who pre-order) and slowly these companies would add titles and increase cover price. At one point, a collector was telling me his monthly new comic cost was almost $1500 and he wasn't getting everything. Moreover, because most comic stores operate within a very small financial spectrum (most comic shop owners have absolutely no cash and are hand to mouth), as these fans would get financially stretched and unable to pay the monthly bill, the comic shop owners were carrying the customers for 30-60-90 days etc and frequently would have to pile the material back into stock (losing money). It's a bad situation for them.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3565 on: February 05, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »
I didn't sell. I just stopped buying. I'm a collector not a seller and I don't care whether a bubble bursts or not either. One day, many years ahead of now, I will sell my poster collection and I will seek to get as much money as I can for it, given the prevailing market conditions at that time. I hope that I will at least get back what I have paid out over the years but I may get more (fingers crossed) or I may get less. Whatever happens won't bother me.

Mark

best collector attitude there is.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Charlie

« Reply #3566 on: February 05, 2013, 04:50:03 PM »
There seems to be a lot of anger in your argument, Charlie.  What is it?  Missed on too many prints?

I don't understand this argument of I should sell before the bubble bursts, if it bursts at all.  Mark did it, Holiday did it, Dale did it, blah blah blah.  I enjoy collecting prints, I still buy them whenever something pleases my eyes, like Jurassic Park, ET, Jaws and Precious Cargo recently.  I didn't buy Lost Boys, because I thought it was horrible, didn't buy Servants of Sauron for the same reason, and so on.  I buy what I like, I collect what I like.  Who gives a shit if it bursts, or doesn't bursts.  I'm a collector, I am not out there to make a profit but to enjoy a hobby.  If you collect for investment, do yourself a favor and find another hobby, for this one is not going anywhere.

T

The argument was simply anyone holding onto these thinking they can cash in later is a fool...  I should not have brought you into the argument, my apologies.  I think by this point we all know that you won't sell and I personally don't give two shits what you do with your stuff.

Anger?  I was completely logical and objective in the analysis.  You obviously missed the point; or refuse to accept it... The discussion had been about prices and the Mondo bubble bursting. So I throw up some actual application of economic theory; such as supply and demand and you get all sensitive...  eyeroll Don't go get your panties in a wad dude... 

As far as missed prints - I've tried for 4-5 prints in total and one was for Ves (10,000 Leagues) because she asked me to... I have the only two Mondos I want (and a dark knight I could use to start a fire with for all I care) - a Beetlejuice from H and the Nina print.  Nothing else really interests me...  I have more prints from Buddich, Australia, Spokeart and that chick from Indy than Mondos...   

Investment?  No. I buy securities and other stuff. 

Do I really come across as someone buying to flip? 

Charlie

« Reply #3567 on: February 05, 2013, 04:50:20 PM »
best collector attitude there is.

I hope I never have to sell...

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3568 on: February 05, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
Nobody can keep up with 18 different $65 posters a month... Who can sustain that other than a business (flippers) or the wealthy...

I don't think they release that many and they're not often $65...it's maybe 12 or so releases a month and that'll include a variant. And you would have to have very wide varied taste to want to buy everything they release.

I agree with the chaps that say they're a very nice companion of 'theatrical' posters. They give an opportunity to own a piece of licensed art for films such as The Mummy or Psycho or Dracula for about $45, which I think is incredible value when you see the quality of the screen printing 'in the flesh'. They're also encouraging people to seek out and watch good films that they might not never have even heard of, which I think is also a positive thing.

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #3569 on: February 06, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »
http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161306&lotNo=53520

Anyone else a little surprised by this....I mean, you could get an insert or a half-sheet from the original release for this much! 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3570 on: February 06, 2013, 01:49:01 PM »
A cool looking, 11x17 advance poster for the 1956 film, STORM CENTER. Designed by Saul Bass. Opening bid: $1400.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-SAUL-BASS-STORM-WARNING-1956-ADVANCE-17-X-21-CENSORSHIP-POSTER-/380572180608?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589bdea080

-Jeff

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #3571 on: February 06, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »
Very Cool, Jeff.  Overpriced, but very cool!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3572 on: February 06, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »
http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161306&lotNo=53520

Anyone else a little surprised by this....I mean, you could get an insert or a half-sheet from the original release for this much! 

Brian. it just goes to show what people are willing to spend on certain titles, regardless of it being a 1996 reissue. $1600.00 bid so far? Wow!   :o

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3573 on: February 06, 2013, 02:55:04 PM »
I got my DS '96 Vertigo for $60. 

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #3574 on: February 06, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »
That's a steal Matt, cause now they're worth 2k.  And they say you can't make a profit on movie posters!