Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203888 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3500 on: January 30, 2013, 12:03:24 AM »
French, baked, drunk and liberal.  That's me right now.  Can you beat it?

Nope. You got me. Congrats!
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3501 on: January 30, 2013, 12:12:31 AM »
It is not a selling moratorium, Chris.  It is about the fact that I'm fucking lazy and refuse to deal with the US post office.  I also don't want to dig into my piles, pull out stuff, tube it, write labels and other shit like that.  I could sell a lot of my stuff, especially all the doubles, but it is waaaaay too time consuming.  Plus, since I'm baked half the time, I would probably send stuff to wrong addresses.

T

Did your wife write this?  Maybe one of your dogs?  Are you being held hostage?
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3502 on: January 30, 2013, 02:14:46 AM »
....baked... ....
 cheers

m-effer isn't even sharin'......

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3504 on: February 03, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
^ Last two that sold (of the metal variant) were $3250 and $3700, so with a BIN option, this is priced around the last two realized sales.

I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3505 on: February 03, 2013, 09:07:48 PM »
"Does not ship to Canada"

Gee am I ever disappointed about that
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3506 on: February 03, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »
"Does not ship to Canada"

Gee am I ever disappointed about that

Does not ship outside of USA; another lazy seller, it's not like USA is the only place where the suckers are...
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3507 on: February 03, 2013, 09:34:19 PM »
Does not ship outside of USA; another lazy seller, it's not like USA is the only place where the suckers are...

cheers

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3508 on: February 03, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »
Yeah, I hear the Australians will buy anything.

I was mistaken,

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3509 on: February 04, 2013, 05:27:59 AM »
Yeah, I hear the Australians will buy anything.

They prove this daily when they buy those ugly daybills.  ;)

This Phantom sale is amazing to me, as my guess would be the buyers of this (and the other two) are people who would never dream of spending $3000+ on any 1925 Phantom paper (or even 1929 re-release).
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3510 on: February 04, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »
And the Ansin Phantom listing, shown above, has had 3 offers; all have been declined.    nono

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3511 on: February 04, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
This a great print, though, in my top 3 for sure.  I still own 2% of the print run (2 prints out of 100, one variant, one reg) but I used to own 4% :(  Way too expensive, IMO, but t'll be interesting to see if it sells.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3512 on: February 04, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »
They prove this daily when they buy those ugly daybills.  ;)

This Phantom sale is amazing to me, as my guess would be the buyers of this (and the other two) are people who would never dream of spending $3000+ on any 1925 Phantom paper (or even 1929 re-release).

so right on this

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3513 on: February 04, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »
so right on this

Not really.

Believe it or not, a bunch of collectors swing both ways in collecting vintage movie paper and these *evil* screen prints from Mondo and other places.

Holiday (at least used to), myself, Schan, Cj, Thierry, Mel, etc...collect or have collected Mondo et. al to varying degrees and would go ape shit over original Phantom material.

Although, Sean brings up a good point in what is perceived about Mondo collectors.
What is funny/interesting is how pure collectors of the modern screen print (Mondo, gig, etc....), especially the folks on EB have pigeon holed movie poster collectors in terms of what they will and will not collect and so on.

Both parties are wrong.
As Ari would say 'buy what you like'.

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3514 on: February 04, 2013, 04:49:23 PM »
And the Ansin Phantom listing, shown above, has had 3 offers; all have been declined.    nono

How do you know what those offers were?

So funny to see this auction discussed as blasphemous in regards to price and shipping, yet 90% of the bullshit auctions on ebay are overlooked in this thread in terms of the bullshit meter going off cause you know, at least those are pure blood movie posters and actually worth collecting.

PS. Ask Holiday how much he appreciated the demand for his Phantom when he cashed it in for under 3k for needed car repairs.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:50:39 PM by wonka »

I was mistaken,

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3515 on: February 04, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »
Phantom will be the first Mondo print to hit $5K, give it another year.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3516 on: February 04, 2013, 05:26:04 PM »
Phantom will not be the first mondo in my collection.  :P

As far as Im concerned anyone can buy anything they like. Just look at the vast majority of my stuff. I have it cause no else wanted it.  ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3517 on: February 04, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »
Phantom will be the first Mondo print to hit $5K, give it another year.

So ridiculous.  We go on and on debating how many copies exist of certain posters...

Now tell me how confident are you mondo collectors that there are REALLY only 100 of these?  Why have so much faith in an item that was purposely made as a 'limited collectors item'?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:01:16 PM by CSM »
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3518 on: February 04, 2013, 07:09:17 PM »
Mainly because they are numbered.  A lot of people who collect prints have seen my print collection.  I have posted it on this forum, on the Ansin page on FB, on the Stout page, etc.  Since I write down the print # of the prints I personally own (and others have done the same) I guarantee you that if someone had an identical number, it would be known.  This said, there are always a few extras depending on the print.  These are artist prints and are usually numbered AP + whatever the artist got for sale.  But on the initial print run, it is what it is.

T
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:11:32 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3519 on: February 04, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »
This said, there are always a few extras depending on the print.  These are artist prints and are usually numbered AP + whatever the artist got for sale.  But on the initial print run, it is what it is.

T

Speaking of... if APs exist for Mondo posters, it sounds like someone smart actually told these guys to hang onto them for a while.  It would be great if the artists can benefit from these after-market prices at some point.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3520 on: February 04, 2013, 09:02:07 PM »
Speaking of... if APs exist for Mondo posters, it sounds like someone smart actually told these guys to hang onto them for a while.  It would be great if the artists can benefit from these after-market prices at some point.

All they have to do is print more
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3521 on: February 04, 2013, 09:06:07 PM »
Touche

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3522 on: February 04, 2013, 09:07:26 PM »
How do you know what those offers were?

So funny to see this auction discussed as blasphemous in regards to price and shipping, yet 90% of the bullshit auctions on ebay are overlooked in this thread in terms of the bullshit meter going off cause you know, at least those are pure blood movie posters and actually worth collecting.

PS. Ask Holiday how much he appreciated the demand for his Phantom when he cashed it in for under 3k for needed car repairs.

I dont know what the offers were. I said that 3 had been offered this seller and that all 3 had been declined. This is easily viewable on the ebay listing page.  ;)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:12:15 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3523 on: February 04, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »

HC, from what I understand, some artists elect to pass on the Mondo check (or maybe take less up front at least) in exchange for selling a certain number of their APs. This number is usually not that high, it depends on the run of the inital print. For example, Durieux sold a handful of Jaws APs for $150 recently, which is a fair price. Many artists who do sell their APs will price theirs higher than the original drop price but less than the ebay going rate. I think it is a good system...Olly Moss seems to do well this way, and I prefer to purchase APs directly from the artists, but it is usually MUCH harder to go that route vs. the Mondo drop as a collector/buyer obviously.

All they have to do is print more

Chris, give it up already my man. That is cool you don't collect and hate Mondo, we get it.
At least do a quick fact check instead of believing your own assumptions.

As T said, these are numbered and the edition is presented before the drop, that is how one knows how many there are. These aren't like regular movie posters...but you knew that already.

Mondo has never printed more and never will. They have repeatedly said this.

I dont know what the offers were. I said that 3 had been offered this seller and that all 3 had been declined. This is easily viewable on the ebay listing page.  ;)

So what?

I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3524 on: February 04, 2013, 09:36:04 PM »

Chris, give it up already my man. That is cool you don't collect and hate Mondo, we get it.
At least do a quick fact check instead of believing your own assumptions.

But you do get that their desirability is artificially produced right?  And how is one to know all 100 of the print run were actually sold to the public?

Who's to say or prove that 10, 20 or 25 aren't held back by the printers waiting to be unleashed once they get into $3,500 territory? 

It's a suckers game that can be manipulated in so many ways (of course in my opinion)...
Chris