Author Topic: Anyone ever bought a poster that made you want to barf upon smelling it?  (Read 7820 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
I recently got a poster that is very rare, but has a stench of smoke that is overwhelming  :(.  It smells worse than the dirtiest ashtray imaginable.  I am not a wuss by any means, but this poster is seriously disgusting.  It needs some restoration, and I am going to get it linen-backed most likely.  I want to put it in a frame after it is linen-backed.  Hopefully the linen-backing will remove the smoke smell?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I haven't yet had a poster that bad (fingers crossed)

But I have unfortunately inadvertantly purchased a few books like that - the smell never really goes away completely and obviously books are much closer to your nose than a poster is generally.

I would think linenbacking would help quite a bit actually...
Chris

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
A book like that would be raunchy.  Now I almost feel lucky that I have never had that displeasure  :D

I can always count on you guys to cheer me up  :D.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
Haha - every turn of the page gives you another whiff. Maybe the iPad can use that as a selling point. No More Smokey Books on your shelf. Of course most of the old books will take time to get a digital version made up.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
I would hope the soak would kill the smell.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
I haven't yet had a poster that bad (fingers crossed)

But I have unfortunately inadvertantly purchased a few books like that - the smell never really goes away completely and obviously books are much closer to your nose than a poster is generally.

I would think linenbacking would help quite a bit actually...

Fabreeze....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
bathing before linen would definitely eliminate the smell. Especially the buffering agents.

concerning smells.. I've bought stuff from every imaginable nook & cranny in a house or building  short of a toilet bowl. Sometimes it does indeed get pretty knarly

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Toilet bowl???   

Offline paul waines

• Curator
I had a poster that smelt the same, really bad. I just left it outside for several hours with a bit of a gentle breeze blowing, waited down on the corners of course. It got rid of 95% of the smell.
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
Toilet bowl???   

Ted, you would be surprised where people keep their stuff. In Ohio once I bought a comic collection that the guy had stored in his oven, in his shower stall (he bathed with a hose in the garage in a wading pool which I never would have guessed considering his own knarly stench), in the refrigerator he kept his most valuable comics, right next to a container of milk that was so old the milk had solidified into something solid that when I went to get the comics and I accidentally knocked over the milk - it didn't even leak a drip.

Another guy in Oklahoma had converted one side of an old outhouse in his yard to a storage. Thankfully, the other side of the outhouse was no longer in operation.. Incredibly, those comics smelled like the flowers outside the outhouse as opposed to the shit that undoubtedly oocupied the pit underneath.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
She asked me what that poster smelled like and I said, "Here, check out my fingah!" 

• Post-aholic
 laugh1

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I don't what is more stupid, her actually agreeing to smell someone's finger or the birthday cake she is wearing on her head?
Chris

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Never bought one that smelled bad, but I do have a Full Metal Jacked B1 that has a couple of blood stains on it.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
bathing before linen would definitely eliminate the smell. Especially the buffering agents.

concerning smells.. I've bought stuff from every imaginable nook & cranny in a house or building  short of a toilet bowl. Sometimes it does indeed get pretty knarly

arent you the spelling police Rich?  I hate to tell you that you have the wrong silent letter at the front of that word.  Gnarly would be the word you are looking for here.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

• Post-aholic
oh jeez.. you are so right.. However, I was only the spelling police for one post, pointing out that the person calling for spelling errors had made one within that single post. I mean, if I were to spell check everyone here, I'd never have to list auctions making all those correction.. You do know our members are dumb, don't you???

wynk

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Anyone ever bought a poster that made you want to barf upon smelling it?
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
I recently got a poster that is very rare, but has a stench of smoke that is overwhelming  :(.  It smells worse than the dirtiest ashtray imaginable.  I am not a wuss by any means, but this poster is seriously disgusting.  It needs some restoration, and I am going to get it linen-backed most likely.  I want to put it in a frame after it is linen-backed.  Hopefully the linen-backing will remove the smoke smell?

Hey Neo,

Did you ever get this poster backed and made to smell minty fresh?  ;)

Mind if I ask what movie the poster was from?  

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:52:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 02:33:28 AM »
I left it in a tube by itself, and about 2 years later, the smell was gone.  It may have been that the guy was a heavy smoker (cigarettes) and the poster was somewhere near where he smoked, and it absorbed that raunchy, stale tobacco smoke smell, but when it was removed from that environment and put in a cardboard tube, the smell was replaced with the smell of the cardboard tube.  It was a Star Wars Empire Strikes Back GWTW 30x40, and I sold it.

Interesting comments in this thread.  From Rich's outhouse story to Schan's blood stained B1, and all the gifs.  I reckon these are just a few of the out of the ordinary situations that ensure job security for restorers.  8)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 03:22:26 AM »
I left it in a tube by itself, and about 2 years later, the smell was gone.  It may have been that the guy was a heavy smoker (cigarettes) and the poster was somewhere near where he smoked, and it absorbed that raunchy, stale tobacco smoke smell, but when it was removed from that environment and put in a cardboard tube, the smell was replaced with the smell of the cardboard tube.  It was a Star Wars Empire Strikes Back GWTW 30x40, and I sold it.

Interesting comments in this thread.  From Rich's outhouse story to Schan's blood stained B1, and all the gifs.  I reckon these are just a few of the out of the ordinary situations that ensure job security for restorers.  8)

No doubt, brother, no doubt... and even tho you sold it.. it still makes for a good recollection.

;)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:47:19 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 04:25:51 AM »
Bump... Any updates from anyone?!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Saw some visitors today checking out this old thread.  I have before  bought some rare posters and books and had to powder a layer of baking soda in between the pages and on the posters.  Was it cat pee? Maybe.  Okie

Bump... Any updates from anyone?!