Author Topic: GRRRRRR!!!!  (Read 20145 times)

Offline lynaron

• Collector
GRRRRRR!!!!
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
I've chased after this press book for years. Finally, not the best copy but acceptable.  Less so now.  Foam core just doesn't cut it, especially when it is just a hair larger than the item itself.

GGGGGGRRRRRRR!!!

I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Re: GRRRRRR!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
ohhhhhh  :(
David

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »
 :o :o :o

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »
let's play Jeopardy

the answer was MORE FOAMCORE
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:48:43 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »
It was sent in a flattened box? Something of that value?

Inconceivable. Was it fully insured?

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »
Yup, a flattened Priority Mail box.  Insured, no but the price was only a 100 beans.  The loot means nothing compared to the damage and I'll be spending tomorrow with transparent archival book tape and a fist full of tranquilizers  moron1

Offline ONEYE

• Beginner
    • My FB.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
Brutal.  >:(

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »
Painful just to look at, can't imagine the agony of having it in your hands.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
let's play Jeopardy

the answer was MORE FOAMCORE

nobody wants to play??

the question is:
what did this package need?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »
Painful just to look at, can't imagine the agony of having it in your hands.

It did hurt to look at.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 10:18:36 PM »
Oh dear.  :'(

Why can't this only happen on worthless pieces of crap paper?
Chris

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 02:56:31 AM »
Wow that seller is an idiot. It should have been packaged between two thick pieces of flat cardboard or even wood. The seller should have taken the initiative and gone the extra mile to protect something like that. Man I am sorry. I would contact the post office and flip my top.  nono I would even to goes as far to contact the seller and tell them what a shitty ass job they did at packaging it.

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 04:34:59 AM »
I've contacted the seller and he's fairly mortified also by the pics.  He made me a generous offer and I gave him a few tips on packaging.  So, all in all, it may work out for the best in the long run.  The pb will fill the gap for awhile but the hunt continues until a more minty white one shows up  :).  It does no use to carry on cranky with the PO, I've been that route before and it just leads to a throbbing vein in my forehead and higher blood pressure.  In the long run, it is just a bunch of paper with pretty ink patterns on it (he said, trying to keep a Taoist frame of mind).  Still sucks though.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 05:19:44 AM »
Wow that seller is an idiot. It should have been packaged between two thick pieces of flat cardboard or even wood. The seller should have taken the initiative and gone the extra mile to protect something like that. Man I am sorry. I would contact the post office and flip my top.  nono I would even to goes as far to contact the seller and tell them what a shitty ass job they did at packaging it.

Randy, I would be more fair and say he is just inexperienced. One more sheet of foamcore probably would have been enough to prevent the claw machines from eating the package, but another reality is that every once in a while a package must get damaged and we're all playing the percentages.

I've been lucky with a damage rate of less than 1 package per year.
One year I got a gorilla proof box that had been crushed and popped on one seam. however due to the gorilla proof packing inside, the contents were safe.

the sample Lynn shares is actually way better packaged than an awful lot of stuff I get in the mail, including stuff I get from pros who should know better by now.

if you're going to use FREE materials.. then use alot of it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:20:46 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 05:46:30 AM »
Very true Rich.

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 10:25:37 AM »
Yeah, I've had my share of horror stories with packaging.  The funniest was a FoH still from HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM I got from England.  It was sent in regular 8.5'' x 11'' envelope with half a file folder as packing material and of course it was trashed.  I contacted the seller and he sent me a different FoH still as a replacement with the other half of the file folder.  Made me chuckle.

And Rich is right.  Sooner or later no matter what, it's barrel time.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 02:25:56 PM »
 :o Yikes, just noticed this. I know only too well the feeling of receiving a package like this, but on something as nice as that…. moron1

Hope you do get sorted out Lyn.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 04:33:20 PM »
Hey Paul,
It's all worked out okay.  I was able to stabilize the tears with archival book mending tape and it doesn't look too horrendous.  On the plus side the seller and I have started a very nice pen pal kinda thing.  He and I have a few mutual friends as it turns out and he was mortified at what happened.  So, this dark cloud has a silver lining  ;). And even if it had gone super sour, in the long run its just paper and ink and not worth having a stroke over (Zen 1, Anger 0).

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »
So, this dark cloud has a silver lining  ;). And even if it had gone super sour, in the long run its just paper and ink and not worth having a stroke over (Zen 1, Anger 0).

I need to adopt some of this philosophy.  Although I am sure it helps that your collection is already extremely fab as is ;)
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 11:30:35 PM »
I need to adopt some of this philosophy. 

So do I as I spilled some liquid on a newly aquired poster the other night...So sad.  :'(

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 12:15:28 AM »
So do I as I spilled some liquid on a newly aquired poster the other night...So sad.  :'(

Must have been a particularly sexy poster
Chris

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 05:26:20 AM »
Chris, I was hit over head about this stuff back in August of 2005 when Katrina slammed into New Orleans. Mein Frau and I evacuated with just a few clothes, our 5 cats and one of our two cars.  We spent two months in New Mexico with my Dad, not knowing if our house or anything left behind even existed any more. Luckily our house is on the Sliver on the River/Isle of Denial part of NO and had sustained minor damage compared to the rest of the city.  I lost some stuff in the basement (yeah, a basement in a below sea level house, go figure).  We learned the important things were not our possessions, they are just things that can be replaced for the most part.  It was the loss of the personal stuff, photos and the like that hurt the most.  I lost 30 plus years of photos, negatives and family mementos and my wife lost all of her family goods.  I love the poster collection and all related ephemera, but when push comes to shove one quickly realizes what really matters :).

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 11:04:29 PM »
Chris, I was hit over head about this stuff back in August of 2005 when Katrina slammed into New Orleans. Mein Frau and I evacuated with just a few clothes, our 5 cats and one of our two cars.  We spent two months in New Mexico with my Dad, not knowing if our house or anything left behind even existed any more. Luckily our house is on the Sliver on the River/Isle of Denial part of NO and had sustained minor damage compared to the rest of the city.  I lost some stuff in the basement (yeah, a basement in a below sea level house, go figure).  We learned the important things were not our possessions, they are just things that can be replaced for the most part.  It was the loss of the personal stuff, photos and the like that hurt the most.  I lost 30 plus years of photos, negatives and family mementos and my wife lost all of her family goods.  I love the poster collection and all related ephemera, but when push comes to shove one quickly realizes what really matters :).

Thanks for putting things into perspective Lyn.  And of course very glad you were able to escape mainly unscathed (at least physically) and able to share that collection with us :)
Chris

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »
I do like sharing my Pile-o-Paper™ and am glad there is a place or two in cyberspace that let's me preen.  You gotta lotta nice stuff, too, my man and am grateful that you share it also.  Garsh, wish I could afford to collect it all :P

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 05:29:46 AM »
Awful packing, nice story...