Author Topic: Does collecting ever end?  (Read 88490 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Does collecting ever end?
« Reply #225 on: June 28, 2012, 08:54:55 AM »
Well $#@*& I've racked up about $5,000 in poster debt.  If I live reasonably frugally and stop buying more posters for the next three months, I can pay it all off. 

Has anybody racked up debt before, stopped buying, and diligently paid off debt instead? What's the secret?  Stop looking at auctions?  Avoid the Internetz?

Bruce

« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »
1) Stop all buying unless it is a "must-have" (define that rigidly)
2) Look over what you own and sell whatever you don't care about (if you take a loss, so be it)
3) Over time, you will pay off your debt. THEN, resume buying, but stop making "impulse buys", the kind that seem to make sense at the time, but by the time the package arrives you are thinking "WHY did I buy this?" If you do that, you will have funds available when the must-haves come along.

This has been a public service announcement from eMoviePoster.com, who urges everyone to collect movie posters responsibly.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #227 on: June 28, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »
Dont buy on credit., don't go into debt for posters.
Its not shelter, air, food or water - its a luxury.
And remember, even Metropolis can come up for sale again, so there's always next time.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

« Reply #228 on: June 28, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »
1) Stop all buying unless it is a "must-have" (define that rigidly)
2) Look over what you own and sell whatever you don't care about (if you take a loss, so be it)
3) Over time, you will pay off your debt. THEN, resume buying, but stop making "impulse buys", the kind that seem to make sense at the time, but by the time the package arrives you are thinking "WHY did I buy this?" If you do that, you will have funds available when the must-haves come along.

This has been a public service announcement from eMoviePoster.com, who urges everyone to collect movie posters responsibly.

Ironically I owe $71 to MasterBruce... 

and a few bucks on my MoviePosterBidClub Card..  an undisclosed amount to VisHoliday...  and an offer to my CrackDealerExpress... But most of that will all be taken care of on Monday.

Actually, the only time I rack up debt is when my wife wants birthday presents, anniversary gifts, and mother's day presents because that stuff can't come from the common account or she would know how much I spent...  :P 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #229 on: June 28, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
I've been carrying a few thousand debt for a while, and by no means am I in a financial bind, just a matter of finding the willpower to stop buying and pay off existing debt. I don't have credit cards, fortunately. I swore those off years ago so I've got that going for me. But it's still too easy to walk downstairs and get a loan from the credit union.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:58:23 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #230 on: June 28, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »
You have to stop looking at all auctions.

Stop.  Looking.

At. ALL. Auctions.

Yeah, some great deals/posters are going to slip by that you'll never know about (unless some ******* posts it here), but like Ari said, it will come up again someday.  If you're collecting for the long haul, you can wait.

I've done it, it can be done.  Poster debt should only be short term, 1-2 months max, until you can get the planets aligned to pay off whatever you had to go long for.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »
I've been carrying a few thousand debt for a while, and by no means am I in a financial bind, just a matter of finding the willpower to stop buying and pay off existing debt. I don't have credit cards, fortunately. I swore those off years ago so I've got that going for me. But it's still too easy to walk downstairs and get a loan from the credit union.

Been there.  Actually, am there since my son started college, which added about $1k/mo to the budget.

You need to figure out a budget, including the poster debt.  You need to stick to that budget.  Finally, you need to adjust the budget every time the situation changes.

When college started, I cut out 90% of poster buying, cable TV services, several magazine subscriptions, and traded restaurants for cooking at home 4 days a week.  I also cut out my other hobby which was considerably more expensive.  The alternative is saddling him with student loans, and that isn't fair.
-Jay-

Steven11788

« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »
does it end no ;D but to me it slows down.. summer most my money goes to fishing and then the cold season sales, ( when fishing stuff is on clearence, say jan-early March)  it seems though when i dont have it, the gems on my list become availabe, take Bruces, auction, i just got a custom rod and low and fucking behold the Alone in the Dark(slasher flck) onesheet goes up to bid, i bid 50, knowing it would take the whole 2 weeks to pay it. and i lost it, so always keep at least a couple 100 in a jar, for the gems.. this was kinda a rant, and update, sorry guys moron1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »
Well $#@*& I've racked up about $5,000 in poster debt.  If I live reasonably frugally and stop buying more posters for the next three months, I can pay it all off. 

Has anybody racked up debt before, stopped buying, and diligently paid off debt instead? What's the secret?  Stop looking at auctions?  Avoid the Internetz?

Don't buy anymore shitty ultra modern posters

Oh and find some willpower  ;D
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2012, 07:05:44 PM »
You have to stop looking at all auctions.

Stop.  Looking.

At. ALL. Auctions.

No.

Oh and find some willpower  ;D

and no.

Seriously I know it can be done but when it has become your #1 form of entertainment, its just a lil bit harder.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:09:02 PM by Zorba »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »
I don't think anyone should go broke over posters.  There are other priorities in life.  To me, it remains a hobby, and a hobby is not a necessity.  It can be stopped at any time to concentrate on more important things.  As long as I can afford it, I will keep collecting, but it will all come to a stretching halt the moment I go negative.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Bruce

« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »
Is a stretching halt similar to a screeching halt, but done by Mr. Fantastic?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2012, 07:27:32 PM »
Is a stretching halt similar to a screeching halt, but done by Mr. Fantastic?

Yeah, yeah, yeah... make fun of the foreigner, Bruce.  I got my point across, didn't I?  Rude!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
As long as I can afford it, I will keep collecting,

Yes. I myself am an addict but Im only spending what I can afford to spend.

There are so many posters I have passed on or dropped out auctions on. So many times it really sucked but that is the way it is. I have other bills to pay.  

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #239 on: June 28, 2012, 07:46:53 PM »
I can't remember how many times I have had to pass on a poster because I didn't have the funds.
"Oh my gosh.  This poster will never turn up again," I think.
Invariably it does, at an even cheaper price.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »
"Oh my gosh.  This poster will never turn up again," I think.
Invariably it does, at an even cheaper price.

This I have seen many times and from both sides of the fence.

Also, it is easier to keep yourself in check when you are only trying to please one person. 

Bruce

« Reply #241 on: June 28, 2012, 08:48:54 PM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah... make fun of the foreigner, Bruce.  I got my point across, didn't I?  Rude!

Sorry, Thierry. You write English so well I forget it is not your native tongue.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #242 on: June 28, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »
Sorry, Thierry. You write English so well I forget it is not your native tongue.

Nice comeback, Bruce.  You get a kiss!

T
My Personal Collection

Bruce

« Reply #243 on: June 28, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
My son is in Switzerland (comes home in two weeks, after 11 months) and EVERYONE there speaks English really well. Most people here are just like me (I only speak English). Your English IS wonderful.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2012, 09:23:28 PM »
Nice comeback, Bruce.  You get a kiss!

T

A french kiss?
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #246 on: June 28, 2012, 09:30:05 PM »
A french kiss?

That's the only kind of kiss I know.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #247 on: June 28, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »
That's the only kind of kiss I know.

T

Does Bruce get a lot of tongue or just a taste?  ;)
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2012, 10:00:31 PM »
He gets the tongue as far as I can reach.  Down his throat if I can.
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »
 :o ;D