Author Topic: Does collecting ever end?  (Read 88489 times)

Der Januskopf

Re: Does collecting ever end?
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2012, 09:09:28 PM »
Since I already own all these titles (part of the free stuff I get all the time, BTW  ;)), it wouldn't do me any good.  My list doesn't have titles like these.  Pardon my French, but I would never spend a penny on shit like that.

And yes, Stew, there is nothing that would make me happier than Hollywood NOT printing posters anymore.  I wouldn't have to get new stuff and could only concentrate on the old.  Studios are ready for digital posters.  They would be more than pleased to not have to print and ship 15,000 copies of each poster style they come up with.  I was talking to a friend of mine who is pretty high up in distribution at Paramount and he was telling me that theater owners refuse to spend the money on digital displays.  I say fuck them.

T

T,

Just was giving you a hard time, as i did see that those titles i mentioned are in your collection, and figured they were the freebees.  ;)

But seriously, is there one area/genre/time period you want to focus on? It seems like you are interested in every decade and such a number of genres that your collection will never be able to be completed. I was just curious what kin ds of things you add to you list continually, especially since so much of the current stuff (and i think you would agree) is just gar-bage.

Ive read the threads wherein certain films you want to have everything for (ROTLA, i think?)

-Kerry

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
I don't care about genre, I don't care about time period.

I collect according to the following guidelines:  Movies I love (Alien, for instance) and themes (actors, directors, Academy Awards nominated flicks, etc.)  I also try to get what I can snatch for little money.  If I see it, I will get it, even if it doesn't fit any particular trend in my collecting.  Just because it was available and I couldn't let it pass me.

I don't particularly care about Raiders per se (although I loved the movie), but I do care about Spielberg and I intend to own every single piece of material on him (posters and lobby cards, that is) as long as I don't already own the design.  If I do buy the same design (and I have, it's not because I was looking for it, but more because it was available for nothing.  With 870 posters and LC sets on Spielberg, I'm getting close.  Same goes with Bardot, Eastwood, Hitchcock, Kubrick and many others I'm a fan of.  Because I'm a completist, I will attempt to get it all.  One day when I realize I own a lot of Cardinale, or a lot of Lollobrigida, I will start collecting those.  When you add it all up, it means a lot of posters.

Lots of my post 90 gear is connected to Academy Awards, movies I liked, actors and freebees.  If I love a movie, like The Artist, I will get every single design I can find on it.

T
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:28:24 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
BTW, I wasn't complaining about what I already own or how many more posters I want to own.  I was just making an observation that this hobby never seems to end and that there is always more and more to get.  I'm enjoying it, I'm having fun, even if sometimes it seems a little much.

bed1

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Charlie

« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »
BTW, I wasn't complaining about what I already own or how many more posters I want to own.  I was just making an observation that this hobby never seems to end and that there is always more and more to get.  I'm enjoying it, I'm having fun, even if sometimes it seems a little much.

bed1

T

Ah, what the hell would we do if we didn't collect posters?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
Ah, what the hell would we do if we didn't collect posters?

I do that stuff AND collect posters

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Muddyfunster

Re: Does collecting ever ends?
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2012, 04:28:52 AM »
There is a life cycle to collectors. It is the same for everyone, the only issue is how gentle of a parabola it takes.

1) You discover posters and buy a few
2) You are hooked! You buy too many, and spend too much
3) You realize you can never display all you own, and you slow down buying
4) You start to sell a few items you "never look at"

Finally either
5) You get tired of it all, and sell everything
or
5) You get old and realize your kids have no interest and you sell everything
or
5) You die, and your kids sell everything

Bruce

Bruce has got it spot on. I'm already on 3 or 4. I have an apartment and a storage unit with stacks of posters I will never truly look at unless I one day live in a huge mansion. I'm selling off slowly and keeping the really sweet stuff.

Der Januskopf

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »
Since I already own all these titles (part of the free stuff I get all the time, BTW  ;)), it wouldn't do me any good.  My list doesn't have titles like these.  Pardon my French, but I would never spend a penny on shit like that.

T

T,

I was thinking about the comment you made that I bolded above. You say you would never spend a penny on sh*t like those titles, yet you have them listed and shown as part of your collection. Aside from whether titles like this (or ones in the future) are freely received, why do you take and add them in the first place? I dont think most collectors would add so called 'junk' to their collections, freely given or not.  This is the aspect I am trying to understand, when one talks about collecting, rather than just, say, hoarding posters, good and bad (sellers and dealers aside).

Unless, what you collect is 'movie posters' overall? The vast majority of people who put a collection together tho, dont collect in that way.

Certainly for many, cost is a factor, when building a collection. But from what I have seen of other parts of your 'collection,' that isnt a huge issue (i refer to the spectacular French 1P's that you have, for example).

So is it that you are just fascinated with the medium, regardless of content, when it comes to holding onto those other crap posters and/or titles? Again, I ask, because i am genuinely curious and I enjoy discussing the thought process of things like this.

-Kerry

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Cost is not a factor, but I have a very clear idea of what something is worth and I will not spend a penny above it, even if it means losing the item, which has happened a lot lately. There are so many posters I want, it's not a tragedy if I lose one or the other.  For instance, I just passed on a poster that I really wanted because the seller decided to raise the price by 20₤ at the last moment.  I was ready to spend 170₤ for it.  Too bad.  I'll get it somewhere else in 5 years if I have to.

And yes, I collect posters but I'm most and foremost a cinema lover.  I studied cinema for 4 years at USC Cinema school, I work in LA, most of my friends are directors, screenwriters and technicians.  I've worked for a few studios, my wife works for a studio, this is what I live and breathe.  Even if it's a shitty title or a shitty poster, I see it as part of cinema's evolution and I keep it for that reason.  It may be shitty for you and me, but it is not necessarily shitty for everyone.  Take 300, for instance.  Lots of people like it.  I hate it.  I have posters on the title and they are in my collection.

In the end, though, I would say that the posters I did not chose are less than 10% of my entire collection.  So really not a factor, IMO.

T
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:54:59 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Bruce

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2012, 05:27:01 PM »
I am not trying to impress any of the three of them, but Thierry, Holiday, Mel (and a bunch of the rest of you) are classic "true collectors". Guys like these buy posters for the love of it, and they don't think about ever re-selling them, and in fact they know that they might well lose a fair amount of money if they did re-sell some of their items.

I call people like these "lifers". I can easily predict something. Around 5 years from now, a lot of the people who currently are on here will have crashed, burned, and sold their collections, and you lifers will still be here, and you guys will be the old-timers, talking nostalgically about these good old days!

Bruce

Charlie

« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »
You forgot the "wife" factor Bruce!  I'd keep everything if it wasn't for my wife saying why do you need four copies of "Up Close and Personal"?  I've been stalling for at least 3 years and maybe I can just wait it out but sometimes selling stuff to facilitate buying other stuff is desirable.  We are not all lawyers and don't all have have sugar mommas to help us along; although my wife does a decent job...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »
As long as the hobby doesn't deprive my wife of what she wants, she leaves me alone.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2012, 08:43:06 PM »
Slowly but surely over the last three years I've been capturing various & sundry "must have" modern posters - Hustler, Gladiator, Jaws, Easy Rider, Big Lebowski (int), Planet of the Apes, LA Confidential (Canadian), Butch Cassidy, Barbarella (Style B), Pulp Fiction (recalled), etc.

It's come down to five "must haves" - everything else is optional.

- Alice in Acidland & High School Hellcats - need I explain why I need those?
- View to A Kill - the last major Bond one sheet I lack
- Help - gotta have a cool Beatles poster
- Rocky - iconic

I plan to "knock out" Rocky soon.

Then I can move on to other minor life goals - wife, house, etc. :)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:58:23 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »
It's come down to five "must haves" - everything else is optional.

- Alice in Acidland & High School Hellcats - need I explain why I need those?
- View to A Kill - the last major Bond one sheet I lack
- Help - gotta have a cool Beatles poster
- Rocky - iconic

I have heard this talk before sir.

At least you have a list and I am breathing a huge sigh of relief that I dont have any desire for any of those five....Cause it seems to me Mel get what Mel want and I dont wanna be in his way no more!.  8)

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2012, 11:10:32 PM »
When I get Dr No petite then my DN collection is pretty much done ;)

Charlie

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:26 AM »
Then I can move on to other minor life goals - wife, house, etc. :)

Can I have your posters when you meet minor life goal "wife"?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2012, 12:42:04 AM »
can I have your wife when you get bored of her?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »

Mine or Mel's future?   ;) 

That's a negatory on my wife...

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2012, 12:54:04 AM »
have to be Mels then.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2012, 09:05:01 AM »

Hmmm.  I have a feeling that the intersection of lawyer.wife and engineer.wife = NULL

By the same token, offaleater.wife = SYNTAX ERROR  ;D
-Jay-

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »
dag nab it. Oh well, always next life.
An Error Has Occurred!

Steven11788

« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
glad my love, loves "most" of my posters

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »
Or you could end up with a Wife/girlfriend like mine who actually encourages me to buy posters, and bid higher when at auctions.....Maybe she has a secret agenda.......She does do most of the cooking... :-\
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2012, 03:41:46 PM »
Maybe she has a secret agenda.......She does do most of the cooking... :-\
[/quote

;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines