Author Topic: The New Flickr - 1 Terabyte Storage (600,000 pictures)  (Read 4320 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

The New Flickr - 1 Terabyte Storage (600,000 pictures)
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »
NYTimes article about the ridiculously ginormous free storage being offered by Flickr:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/30/technology/personaltech/the-new-flickr-space-and-more-space-free.html

If you ever want to see just how much whining a million Interneters can produce, try giving them something wonderful at no charge.

Take Flickr, for example, the Web site that Yahoo bought in 2005. Its central concept was cool and useful: It’s an online gallery of everyone’s photographs that the whole world can search, annotate and admire. It’s a place to study photography, to applaud good work by fellow camera buffs, to back up all those precious JPEGs, and to post a photographic record of weddings, vacations and other achievements for friends and families to enjoy.

Flickr was disappointing, however, for two reasons. First, the free account permitted you to display only your 200 most recent photos. The $25-a-year Pro account offered unlimited space.

Second, Flickr was ugly, cramped and baffling. It seemed to display your pictures in only two sizes: tiny square thumbnails (which made no sense — how many photos are perfectly square?) and full size. It took a lot of clicking and experimenting to navigate. And good luck figuring out how to download a photo; the process was so nonintuitive and buried, it could have been a “Saturday Night Live” skit.

Last week, the new Flickr was born. First, the good news: Every free account holder gets one terabyte of storage. That is an insane, historic, vast amount of space. That’s enough room for about 600,000 typical photos, enough to last you the next couple of birthday parties, at least.

That’s 70 times the free space of the next closest competitor, Google Drive. And those are full resolution photos, too — the originals. Flickr doesn’t compress photos, degrading their quality, the way Facebook does.....

I tried uploading a few pictures but it seems pretty slow.  But I'm pretty sure in a few years storing data on a local drive will be as quaint as a floppy disk.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:34:05 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
Re: The New Flickr - 1 Terabyte Storage (600,000 pictures)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 01:08:46 AM »
I use it to upload my still collection. It is a little slow, but not too bad. My gripe with it is that I can't seem to find anything that I want. This is probably caused by my limited digibrain and by the vast amounts of existing photos. When I'm using a search like "Dreigroschenoper GER 12x9 StC*1", something that I used to describe a particular still, flickr suggests that I search under "mongolia", "Yurt", "nomad" or "travel". Using just Dreigroschenoper I get a whole stream of photos of theatre and music performances or of the people who visited them. "Dreigroschenoper movie" brings me a handful of actor postcards.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:58:58 AM »
I foresee Flickr approaching a teraflop

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:39:28 AM »
It looks so much better than it used to - I love the tiled appearance of your photostream.

Does anyone know any galleries that do this? I have some HTML code that I used for my website of posters (in progress...), but it's pretty slow. I wonder if there is a flickr gallery plug in or something I could use.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »
I think the days of "stand alone" websites are numbered and social media sites will take over since they offer "economies of scale," combined resources, and interaction with other members.  By contrast, if you run your own website, you get an occasional email but otherwise you're on your own.

Ideally, the movie poster hobby should have something like ExpressoBeans, which is an art print database combined with a forum.  Rather than downloading or taking pictures of your own prints, you can look up a poster in the database, check the box for "I own this print" or "I want to sell this print," make comments about it directly in the database or discuss it in the accompanying forum.

But for now, Flickr could be the best social media option.  I've uploaded two test sets:

Classic Pre-1960 posters:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alphamel1968/sets/72157633882608139/

My Original Posters:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alphamel1968/sets/72157633891392027/

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:50:51 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:53 AM »
Nice collection Mel. Heaps there.

I think the days of "stand alone" websites are numbered and social media sites will take over

Thankfully those of us who have significant control of our websites have limited our exposure to the whims of companies like Apple that can pull the pin on their users websites/ photo collections when they like. Remember, was it, iWeb,  Mel ;)    We also aren't bound by terms that may turn our uploaded images into images on coffee mugs and t-shirts when they want to tweak the conditions once they have you hooked. Imagine your face on my coffee mug!

For sure though social media can lead to significantly more exposure than sitting in the corner cob webs on the net.

Those sites from what I have seen are good for the hobbiest, though for people wanting more functionality like sellers, those sites are still not there yet functionally and integrating with them, rather than moving fully to them, would be more suitable for those at the present time. But yeah for hobbyists there are plenty of web choices to get a collection of images online relatively quickly with some social media integration

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »
True, some social media sites have bitten the dust but I think the major ones (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr) will be around for at least five more years. iWeb was (and still is) an easy-to-use program to create basic websites, although inefficient from a programming perspective.  However, most users of iWeb are better off using social media websites instead.

As far as dealers, I think something like MoviePosterExchange is ideal for them. Not sure why it hasn't taken off.  Perhaps the extra transaction cost of double-mailing, the commission, and not developing a direct relationship with the customer makes it untenable for most dealers.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:53:12 AM »
Facebook works for me for sales, like eBay used to (well not as good as eBay was in the early years) but better than the forums, and better than when I had a commercial website.
People sit on it all day, can't say the same for a website, a,though I used to on eBay. Spend hours a day looking at every damn poster listed, can't be bothered anymore.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 07:56:59 PM »
Uploaded over 14,000 images now

Here's a link for some ladies I know you all love:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hazardous_operations_movie_posters_and_stills/sets/72157633815134711/

and a link to all my sets

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hazardous_operations_movie_posters_and_stills/sets/

Amazing stuff!  But how do I search just your sets? For example, how do I search for "Veronica Lake"?

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »
Wish I could tell you, beats me. I'm afraid there's been no system in the uploads. It started with uploading my favorite director stills and then it took off somehow. Only rule I applied is there has to be 10 images or more in a set, so if I don't have enough stills of a particular title they are uploaded as "Various". I planned on adding either info of the people in the still or of the snipe info on the back when available in the description section, but that proves to be very ambitious now....

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 10:38:08 AM »
Cloud based storage is one disastrous information leak from everyone huddling back to their local storage. In theory it is a great idea, but if the average computer user knew the amount of exposure they are putting on their data once it leaves their local drives they would probably be dumbfounded. Same with the information facebook, google and every other site is storing on people.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »
Cloud based storage is one disastrous information leak from everyone huddling back to their local storage. In theory it is a great idea, but if the average computer user knew the amount of exposure they are putting on their data once it leaves their local drives they would probably be dumbfounded. Same with the information facebook, google and every other site is storing on people.

This forum needs to migrate to a mailing list server, MOPO almost has it right (just remove the web interface)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »

This forum needs to migrate to a mailing list server, MOPO almost has it right (just remove the web interface)

We'd have to change the name to something cleverish like MoPo though...
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 01:36:08 AM »
MelPo!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!