Author Topic: MoviePosterZone  (Read 2085 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

MoviePosterZone
« on: May 25, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »
I'm still curious about how MPZ on Ebay is able to sell apparently unlimited perfect rolled copies of many popular 80s-90s posters, including Pulp Fiction, Blade Runner, Back to the Future, etc.

Based on conversations with two long-time dealers, it appears that MPZ is run by two brothers, Michel and Max Benezra, in LA.  Apparently, they've been in the business since the 1970s and were (or are) printers representatives or intermediaries. It's a very vague position description. One of them went around to movie poster stores and sold movie posters to the stores in the 1970s.  One source told me it was rather murky where these posters were coming from and he deliberately didn't ask questions but he's sure their posters are legitimate.  (He also said the studios had no clue that these posters had any value.)  One source said it was well-known that they have "lifetime" supplies of some of these high-value posters.  

There is very little information about them on the Internet.  I did find this:

I have at least three posters from them (Pulp Fiction, Blade Runner, and Thing) and they appear to be spot-on perfect legitimate posters.  I cannot detect any indicia of reproductions.  I recently purchased a PF regular from TMZ and compared it to a PF I obtained directly from Rich Halegula, who obtained his copies from a Miramax warehouse.)

I cannot detect any significant or even insignificant differences. They are both 27 1/32" (H) x 40" (V) and are identical down to the smallest details, including very tiny printing defects. In the below pic, the MPZ is on top and Rich's is on the bottom.

Anybody have any information on MPZ?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:56:55 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »