Author Topic: How much does trimming de-value a rare poster?  (Read 14312 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

How much does trimming de-value a rare poster?
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »
I've become aware of a very high-value & very rare poster that has been trimmed from 28x22 to fit a 24x18 frame. The titles and central image are unaffected and it appears to be in good condition.

How much does the trimming reduce the value or does it totally destroy the value?

(Can't give more details for now, for reasons I'll explain later.  I'm not even sure if it is original).  

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: How much does trimming de-value a rare poster?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »
If its rare/valuable, it will still be rare and valuable with trimmed borders.  Take this Rear Window One Sheet for example.  While NM copies still command big bucks ($7-8k), this G/VG copy with trimmed borders still got $3.9k (restored on linen, though).  That is comparable with other sales on Heritage for restored one sheets... even those that were graded higher ($3.3k for a F/VF & $3.9k for a F).

Of course, just because I cited those examples doesn't mean that valuation is scientific in anyway.  It is all going to depend on who is bidding at that particular moment, what they want, what's happening with the financial markets, etc... So at the end of the day I would say "it depends", but it should still retain quite a bit of a value if its a sought after piece.  And you should probably factor in restoration costs to your purchase decision.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »
If the main artwork remains intact and all that needs to be replaced/restored is the border, I would say it will still retain a great deal of value (if it is indeed a "very rare" poster).

Of course, as Harry said, this is not scientific and is depends on many factors. 
Chris

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:57:52 AM »
I've passed on several trimmed posters from the 60's and 70's only to watch them be passed on by others and sit on ebay forever or be bought for around 1/4 of the price they should be going for if it was full length. I'm sure if it was really really rare than it would be a different story.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 12:09:32 PM »
Bottom line... if it is truly a rare and valuable title, no matter how beat up it is it will still be worth some coin.

Exhibit A: This Attack of the 50ft Woman sold on eBay yesterday for $3.8k

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 12:13:49 PM »
That poster looks like its been baked in an oven.  I do not envy the restorer that gets that commission.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:55:06 PM »
Like the others have said, if it's rare then it still has value.  I've seen trimmed WCs and LCs of rare paper still sell for hundreds of dollars, like this one

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
To me, WHAT was trimmed is much more important that HOW MUCH was trimmed.

I don't mind ALL the blank borders being trimmed so much (especially if the writing is unaffected), but I hate a dime-sized hole in someone's face, especially in their features.

And when you have significant or noticeable paper loss in the image, you are faced with a defect that will still be noticeable after the item is restored, OR the restorer will have to "dip the area in paint", which is not good for the poster, and likely will not age well.

Bruce

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »
If it's as rare as you say Mel, as long as the trimming is only the boarder, I would buy it. There are too many variables to give a comparison price without knowing all the details. I do know a 1941 Black cat sold for quite a fair amount recently, and that was only a quarter of a poster. 

Buy to collect, not to make profit. It's the only way.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 03:38:02 PM »
Sounds to me like a 22x28 half sheet, which probably had two inches of border on all sides. That might explain the trimming and the new size of 18x24. It might only be missing the border and the art is still intact.
If the poster is scarce, valuable and -- most importantly -- something I wanted, I'd probably consider it.  If they dug into the image. I'd pass.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »
Thanks for advice - I'll give details ASAP.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
yeah stuff it, like the art?, can afford it?, want to hang it?, enjoy it, and forget values.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

wonka

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
Agreed.  Well put.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »
That 50 ft woman blew me away. I mean you catch that thing in the wrong breeze and it looks like it will turn to dust. It is going to take some major restoration and and what point is a restore job = creating a new poster?

The main image is there, but bleaching, paper fill, painting is all going to be needed on that one.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 10:19:02 PM »
I disagree, Bleach/deacify and back, its an old poster, that looks old, its a used poster that looks used. I like it as is. Id leave the borders scruffy. But everyone has their taste, damage doesnt bother me at all, as long as it survives (not that id pay that amount for it - then again I wouldnt for a mint copy - I like it, but not my thang)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 04:15:28 AM »
Come on Mel, what was the poster?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »
Come on Mel, what was the poster?

Haven't forgotten but it's still a "pending matter," although I don't think I'm going to be able to land it.  I think the seller has realized the true worth of the poster.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 12:53:21 PM »
O.K. Then, here's one I bought recently. It needs a bit of restoration and has had a slight trim of the white boarders. Anyone want to guess what it's worth, or what I paid for it? ( No secrets here Mel ;)  )    Oh this is a Quad.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:25:22 PM by paul waines »

Bruce

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 01:06:23 PM »
"I think the seller has realized the true worth of the poster."

Is it a Dracula six-sheet?

qip qip qip

Bruce

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »
O.K. Then, here's one I bought recently. It needs a bit of restoration and has had a slight trim of the white boarders. Anyone want to guess what it's worth, or what I paid for it? ( No secrets here Mel ;)  )    Oh this is a Quad.

I don't know what you paid for it, but it's just beautiful and makes me wish I had a copy

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »
I don't know what you paid for it, but it's just beautiful and makes me wish I had a copy

Exactly.  My favorite version of the movie. Beautiful.
Now where's Mel's?
 ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 05:35:54 PM »
Ha-ha.  My deal is still a possibility, so I can't give details to the rest of y'all poster pirates!  It's a trimmed half sheet. Very vintage, not usually my thing, is all I can say....

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
Yeah I second those sentiments - that's a beauty poster Paul!
Chris

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »
Exactly.  My favorite version of the movie. Beautiful

I agree.  I watched the Lon Chaney version earlier today and prefer the Charles Laughton remake

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 07:57:08 PM »
Chaney was a pioneer and we all love him for the cinematic history he made and those 1001 faces.  When he scrabbles down the cathedral wall or peers up at Esmerelda after the whipping on the wheel of pain -- he is amazing. 
But Laughton -- under Dieterle's direction -- turns in one of the greatest performances of all time.  He IS pathetic and misshapen and his acting skills -- especially that eye -- wrings such sympathy out of even the most jaded viewer.  I think it's the hallmark of his career.
What a poster, Paul.  What a poster.