Author Topic: Totally confused! Window card- how best to conserve & frame  (Read 4148 times)

Mirosae

Totally confused! Window card- how best to conserve & frame
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:53:18 PM »
I wonder if anyone know what is best to do to conserve a window card. It is a good one (1940s)  i bought it in good condition, the poster has been restored (airbrushed and deacidified).

My question is, do i need to have it paperbacked or linen backed if i want to conserve it and frame it properly or do i need to do anything else? i live in the UK, someone here told me that i dont have to have it linenbacked to frame it others said i do if i want to conserve it properly, so i am confused! What you would advise? thanks a lot

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Totally confused! Window card- how best to conserve & frame
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
I wonder if anyone know what is best to do to conserve a window card. It is a good one (1940s)  i bought it in good condition, the poster has been restored (airbrushed and deacidified).

My question is, do i need to have it paperbacked or linen backed if i want to conserve it and frame it properly or do i need to do anything else? i live in the UK, someone here told me that i dont have to have it linenbacked to frame it others said i do if i want to conserve it properly, so i am confused! What you would advise? thanks a lot

If there is no paper loss, the card stock should do nicely in a frame without any backing even if it has been folded in half.

Mirosae

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
If there is no paper loss, the card stock should do nicely in a frame without any backing even if it has been folded in half.

Thanks a lot, i will just keep it simple then will leave it as it is :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:58:29 AM »
Now we need to see what it looks like all framed up  ;D
Chris

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:22:48 PM »
Yes if it has been deacidified and the paper is not brittle, just frame it and post the pictures here!

Mirosae

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »
Will do! thanks all for your help.  i am sure framed will look good anyway, will post it here.  I am so happy i got this one! :D

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
How you frame it will also make a difference to how long the poster will last. I'm assuming you are going to get Neutral PH backing boards, and Plexi-glass on the front.

After that it also needs to be hung so it's not in direct sun-light, and away from heat sources, like Radiators...
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »
How you frame it will also make a difference to how long the poster will last. I'm assuming you are going to get Neutral PH backing boards, and Plexi-glass on the front.

After that it also needs to be hung so it's not in direct sun-light, and away from heat sources, like Radiators...

Thanks Paul. You are right. I do take care of all that. You put me to shame because one of my posters is near a radiator- yes, I know, i know, but I need to use all my available space - it is a Marnie poster, the all orange one so not a super expensive one... But I will be very careful with this window card. Framing in UK is really expensive (not sure if you are in the US). Over here framing costs a lot and framers are not keen of plexiglass, so i always end up with normal glass, which i assume is ok. Thanks for your post- it was v helpful!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:59:32 PM by Mirosae »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
I am in the U.K. and use a local framer, who will do what ever you want. A full archival frame for a Quad is around £70 all in with Plexi.

Difficult to word this, but I find if hanging a poster over a Radiator, put a shelf above the Rad, and it will deflect most of the heat away from the poster, and into the room. Don't forget Radiators don't Radiate (much) heat they convect....

If I find a pic of mine I'll post it.

Mirosae

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »
I am in the U.K. and use a local framer, who will do what ever you want. A full archival frame for a Quad is around £70 all in with Plexi.

Difficult to word this, but I find if hanging a poster over a Radiator, put a shelf above the Rad, and it will deflect most of the heat away from the poster, and into the room. Don't forget Radiators don't Radiate (much) heat they convect....

If I find a pic of mine I'll post it.

Thanks Paul. Do you mind telling me who does your frames ? Is it in London?  In London standard framing  for a   US 1 sheet is nearly £140.

And I agree that a shelf over the radiator works well. Still, I do feel guilty . Need more walls.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »
£140 Yikes... No, I'm glad to say I don't live near London. I'm in the North East, the Framer is in Middlesbrough. He does work for all kinds of places, including the Museum.  He's called Internationaal Gallery, Yes two A's... 

This is some he's done for me...

Mirosae

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »
£140 Yikes... No, I'm glad to say I don't live near London. I'm in the North East, the Framer is in Middlesbrough. He does work for all kinds of places, including the Museum.  He's called Internationaal Gallery, Yes two A's... 

This is some he's done for me...

Yikes indeed! unlike yours. You have really nice ones. King Kong looks great!  they do look very expensive too. It looks like glass not plexi. I've tried at least 4 different framers over the past years. They are good, but (.....) expensive. Oh well. Will keep looking around. ;)

Mirosae

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »
Blimey.  I re-read my own post. Embarrassing. What an idiotic question. Well it was my first WC...We all have to start somewhere. . :P

Here it is Jeff...After all these years...still looking good :-*

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 01:30:47 PM »
It's awfully nice, I have few Ponyo poster that I can offer in trade...  I'll even cover shipping...   ;D thumbsup.gif