Author Topic: $ of Fedex vs UPS vs USPS  (Read 17719 times)

FightClub12

$ of Fedex vs UPS vs USPS
« on: January 04, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
Which shipper is the most affordable? Do you ship flat with one, but yet tubes with another? What's your experience with whom you chose to ship?

Thanks,
-FC

Charlie

Re: $ of Fedex vs UPS vs USPS
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »
I've found FedEx cheaper and more accesible...  domestic.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »
I don't ship often, but I do receive packages quite frequently.

So from a recipient perspective, I prefer UPS for ground shipments and Fedex for express.

I say this because I despise Fedex Ground, which often uses independent third party contractors to deliver the packages. I have had quite a few bad experiences with them, and Fedex doesn't give two shits about it. UPS on the other hand has been very good for ground service. Additionally, if a package gets to the final destination facility quicker, they will deliver it quicker, even if it's before the scheduled day. I've had Fedex actually hold packages (more than twice) simply because they weren't scheduled to be delivered yet.

Express wise, while I do like UPS and Fedex, I've found that Fedex is usually a bit quicker and I've never had delays with them, which I have had occasionally with UPS overnight service.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »
USPS all the way for international (US to Canada).  Both FedEx and UPS are VERY expensive internationally and ALWAYS create customs fees
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:10:18 AM »
I only use USPS. 
My past experiences with UPS and FedEx have been horrible.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »
USPS hands down no contest.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:10:39 PM »
USPS is by far the cheapest domestic option.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »
I'll agree with the USPS, but while cheaper, they also seem to damage packages more often whereas with FedEx, I don't believe I have ever received a package from them that was damaged so bad I had to file a claim or complain.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »
Well was doing some shipping today, apparently USPS is trying to price themselves out of the international market with the increases they just made. I used to be able to ship a tube for 11.00, now its 17.00. Apologies to intl buyers that buy from me, this one stung and rates obviously have to go up.

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »
Well was doing some shipping today, apparently USPS is trying to price themselves out of the international market with the increases they just made. I used to be able to ship a tube for 11.00, now its 17.00. Apologies to intl buyers that buy from me, this one stung and rates obviously have to go up.

There's no cheaper way. :(

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 09:27:46 PM »
For the most part a poster from here will be minimum $25, when I started selling in 2000 it was $7 Aussie, which at that time was $us4. Made selling from Australia much easier than having to charge at least $25
Especially since most of my stuff is relatively cheap. Nearly the only sales I make overseas now are people who want a larger amount of posters in one go, whereas before they could buy a ten buck poster and be happy with postage.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:12:05 PM »
That's why we now offer six weeks of "Pay and Hold". During that time we auction 12,000 items, and non-U.S. buyers can buy as many of those as they want and we combine as much as possible over that time. It really brings the "per item" cost way down,

Mirosae

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »
Interesting debate. For international delivery to the UK I have used FEDEX, particularly for the most pricey ones. That said, my last package was delivered today (Thanks Bruce) and I was just amazed how quick and ....er cheapy.. it was. My real pain is when the package reaches UK customs, but it didn't feel like a problem with USPS. I normally have to go through all the UK legislation and rules with FEDEX staff in order to get the right Custom code, but not this time. I will use them more often. Quick, simple and effective.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:55:01 AM by Mirosae »

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
I was in the UPS store the other day and I was told that if I was to ship a tube through them they charge a $12 handling fee because the tube cannot go onto the belt it has to be hand transferred everywhere. So with UPS you have the $12 handling fee + shipping. No thank you I think I will just stick with the USPS.

Mirosae

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 06:02:54 PM »
I was in the UPS store the other day and I was told that if I was to ship a tube through them they charge a $12 handling fee because the tube cannot go onto the belt it has to be hand transferred everywhere. So with UPS you have the $12 handling fee + shipping. No thank you I think I will just stick with the USPS.

I really don't know which one is best. The handling fees just keep changing and always going up...USPS is cheap I think, but I quite like FEDEX too.....I normally use FEDEX with HA. But they do charge!

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 07:45:14 PM »
I was quoted $240 shipping (US to UK) for a single window card by UPS just days ago. That's not including the lovely tax and various import fees that are payable on delivery.. moron1

Importing anything from beyond the EU has become a nightmare.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 08:19:41 PM »
I was quoted $240 shipping (US to UK) for a single window card by UPS just days ago. That's not including the lovely tax and various import fees that are payable on delivery.. moron1

Importing anything from beyond the EU has become a nightmare.

Maybe they thought you said window?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
I JUST GOT HIT WITH A $50+ BROKERAGE FEE BY UPS 

And really what am I gonna do send it back?  No - I have to just lube up and take it sideways

I can't understand why the seller shipped UPS and not USPS...

moron1 moron1
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 09:24:42 PM »
I JUST GOT HIT WITH A $50+ BROKERAGE FEE BY UPS 

And really what am I gonna do send it back?  No - I have to just lube up and take it sideways

I can't understand why the seller shipped UPS and not USPS...

moron1 moron1

Yep, I learned that lesson two years ago and have avoided UPS like the plague since then....

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
Guess I have to avoid FexEx too!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aq_jkUVgrc0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Aq_jkUVgrc0</a>

Yes, this idiot employee was fired when this video went viral this week....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:04:45 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »
There's a UPS guy in my girlfriend's area and I know he throws parcels around.
I've seen him throw parcels meant for my girlfriend and her Father on three occasions (when I've been there) into the front lobby area when the door is wide open; not so much as a knock and without getting a signature. Next time I am there I will record him as one day he will do it and something will smash...
Best wishes,
Adam

Mirosae

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 07:42:35 AM »
There's a UPS guy in my girlfriend's area and I know he throws parcels around.
I've seen him throw parcels meant for my girlfriend and her Father on three occasions (when I've been there) into the front lobby area when the door is wide open; not so much as a knock and without getting a signature. Next time I am there I will record him as one day he will do it and something will smash...

:-\
 :-X
i really, really don't want to think what my posters  have to go through..dear oh dear ....

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
The FedEx guys here are the absolute worst.  My street address doesn't show up on electronic maps for some reason so they just pick a house at random or toss it in the creek in the hopes it floats to the right place and call it good.  Our UPS guy actually knows where I live though and is very good (usually) about deliveries.

I've heard that FedEx sells routes to drivers, so it's possible I've just got a, how do you say it, a wanker?

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »
My street address doesn't show up on electronic maps for some reason so they just pick a house at random or toss it in the creek in the hopes it floats to the right place and call it good. 

--Peter

Thanks for that Peter - you now owe me a coffee which is presently all over my keyboard!!  ;D
Chris

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 10:40:20 PM »
USPS just keeps getting worse.

Our mail, which usually came around 12-1PM every day for almost three years, now routinely comes closer to 4-5PM for the past few weeks.

To top things off, I shipped a priority mail package to a business two days ago, specifically so they would get it today. Well, it arrived. At 6:07PM. Because most businesses are open at that time to accept mail.... And we aren't talking some hicksville location, it was going to a major metro area right by the airport. Oh well, maybe they will deliver it during normal business hours on Monday.