Author Topic: We have changed the closing dates of parts I & II of our Halloween auctions  (Read 4595 times)

Bruce

I need to let you know about a MAJOR change in our 13th Annual Halloween auctions which are currently running in our Thursday, Sunday, and (beginning tonight at around 9 PM CST) Tuesday auction galleries.

What is this change? Because we know that a lot of people on the East Coast are being affected by Hurricane Sandy, many of them without power (especially in New York City), we have decided to extend Parts I and II of our Halloween auctions BY ONE WEEK so that they will now close on the 8th and 11th (instead of the previously planned 1st and 4th). Part III will still close on the 6th as originally planned, so that what was "Part III" will now end BEFORE Parts I and II.

WHY? Because we think it is unfair to the bidders and the consignors to have the Part I items ending at a time when we can't know if some of the bidders will even have a computer to bid on! By extending both parts I and II by one week each, everything should be somewhat "back to normal", so that the bidders in those areas that were affected by the hurricane will not be at a disadvantage.

All of the auctions have already been extended. We are rapidly working on correcting any places on the auctions or our website that give the old dates (changing them to the new dates), so that no bidders will be inconvenienced. We have also adjusted the auctions that were planned to be ending on those dates to incorporate the new schedule, and that will be soon reflected on our homepage.

So, to recap: Part III will begin tonight and close on November 6th. Part I has been extended by a week and will close on November 8th. Part II has been extended by a week and will close on November 11th.

You can view all of the great items in the first two parts right now!

Check out our 489 rolled posters in Part I of our 13th Annual Halloween Auction at auction sometime before they start to end NEXT WEEK on Thursday, November 8th at 7 PM CST, so view them now by going to http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/14.html

And check out our 999 items in Part II of our 13th Annual Halloween Auction at auction sometime before they start to end NEXT WEEK on Sunday, November 11th at 3 PM CST (not 7 PM CST like our Tuesday & Thursday auctions), so view them now by going to http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/15.html

Which brings us to one more point. Those of you who were consigning to our December 2012 Mini/Major Auction and were sending items this week may well have difficulty doing so. Please know that we understand, and ask that you send them just as soon as you can, and we will make every effort to make sure your items can still be included in this excellent auction!

And please don't forget about our 886 three-sheets, six-sheets, Argentineans, Italian one- and two-panels, & more closing tonight! With just a few hours to go, there are lots and lots of excellent items at really low prices, so they are certainly worth looking over by going to http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/13.html.

And if you are on the East Coast of the U.S., and were affected by the hurricane, know that we hope that you weren't greatly inconvenienced by it, and we certainly hope that everything gets back to normal for you just as soon as possible! We received a bunch of notices today from UPS telling us that packages are "delayed", and of course it is quite likely that all package delivery will be quite slow over the next week or two. But what really matters is recovering from this terrible weather and we hope that happens very soon.

Please be understanding of the need to make these changes to the Halloween auctions, and best of luck to all of you who place bids in them.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Hmm...  Unfair to the bidders or unfair to you, Bruce?

;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Not sure I agree with this, will the rest of the world be extended the same courtesies when similar events strike their country/city?
David

Bruce

Thierry, if Los Angeles were without power, would YOU not ask for them to be extended?

I can never please all the people all the time, so I do my best to please most of the people most of the time!

Bruce

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
No, I would call a friend and ask him to bid for me.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Bruce

Did you know that a lot of Manhattan has no phone service?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
I just think that natural events affecting the access to electricity (et al) affects millions is occurring all over the world all the time, if people really want an item then they will somehow find a way to place a bid. If this is a precedent for you to extend an auction then you do open yourself up to be challenged by others in the future if missed out on a item because you did not extend the time limit due to an event that also affected their electricity and other services in a similar way to Sandy.

This off Wiki (and I have edited some events out): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_outages and these events affected a minimum of one million people did you extend for these catastrophes?

On 2 February, in Texas, forced outages at two major coal-fired power plants and high electricity demand due to cold weather caused rotating blackouts affecting more than one million customers.

On 3 February, Cyclone Yasi hit communities in North Queensland, Australia. The cyclone with winds reaching up to 300 km/h (186mp/h) cause widespread damage through many communities. 170,000 homes lost electricity.

On 22 February at 12:51, a 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck the city of Christchurch, New Zealand, damaging large parts of Orion's sub-transmission and distribution network. Over 80 percent of the city (approximately 160,000 customers) lost power following the quake. A total of 82% of customers had their power restored in five days. Some central city areas are still without power as of 1 May.

On 27 April, one of America's most devastating tornado outbreaks knocked out power in most of northern Alabama, some 311 high tension truss towers were destroyed by multiple violent tornadoes.

Starting on 11 July, Cyprus suffered a half-week power outage, affecting all cities on Greek part of island. The outage was caused by an explosion next to the Vassilikos power plant, knocking out the plant.

On 23 July, failure of a glass insulator caused an outage of most of Northern Saskatchewan for about four hours.

On the morning of 11 July, the Chicagoland area was hit by a large derecho which knocked out power to over 850,000 according to ComEd.

On 27–28 August, Hurricane Irene caused over five million power outages.

On 8–9 September, widespread power outages affected parts of Southern California and Arizona, as well as parts of northwestern Mexico. Started by monitoring equipment that was causing problems at a power substation in southwest Arizona. Over five million people were affected.

In late October, a snowstorm along the East Coast of the USA caused over two million power outages. Some residents of Connecticut and western Massachusetts were without electricity for over seven days.

On 29 June, a line of thunderstorms with hurricane-force winds swept from Iowa to the Mid-Atlantic coast and knocked out power to more than 3.8 million people in Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, North Carolina, Kentucky, and metropolitan Washington, DC.

and so on
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:06:05 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Did you know that a lot of Manhattan has no phone service?

I just talked to my niece who lives in the Upper East Side.  Lower Manhattan is the problem.  I'm actually going to NYC this Sunday.  Hopefully.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Probably people who are affected are thinking of other things than pretty bits of paper.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

Eh.. I can see the arguments both ways but as a consignor in this auction it doesn't bother me one bit... The longer my poster sits and is available, the better.  And if I was a buyer and trying to clean up, I might be pissed that I missed a poster but that probably wouldn't be my first priority at that point...  So if Bruce extends it - it may be a pleasant surprise... 

Plus the bottom line is -  It is Bruce's auction, he can do what he wants. 

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Re: We have changed the closing dates of parts I & II of our Halloween auctions
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
I guess there will be another extension?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/northeast-storm-hurricane-sandys-path-million-power-temperatures/story?id=17636800#.UJgWcGftx8E

"Homes without power and plunging temperatures remain a problem for more than two million people."
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:45:20 PM by Silhouette »
David

Bruce

Re: We have changed the closing dates of parts I & II of our Halloween auctions
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 03:47:58 PM »
Nope. They will start closing tomorrow night. So there MAY be unbelievable deals, so be ready to get 'em!