Author Topic: A Saturday morning trip to the Colonial Theater, Valdese NC…  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
A Saturday morning trip to the Colonial Theater, Valdese NC…
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »
So I just got back from a cool little trip to the old Colonial Theater in Valdese, NC.  Sadly it has not shown any movies since the 60’s or 70's.  I've heard that there was a small fire, and eventually the roof caved in over the main auditorium section.  However, a friend of mine now owns the building (2nd owner after the theater shut down) and he took me on a little tour.  I told him you all you movie nerds would enjoy it too, so he also let me take some photos!

Here is a shot of the exterior.  Unfortunately the marquee is no longer up.  At the top of the arch you can see a little white rectangle… that is cement fill where a steel beam used to extend to support the marquee. 

These doors, obviously not original, used to form the main entrance into the theater.  However, they are now blocked off on the other side and my friends office for his office lies behind them.  There are now two other entrances (can be seen in the picture above), the one on the left leads to his business, and the one on the right is currently rented as a hair salon.  I didn’t take any pictures of the inside of his office space as it is all currently drywall and drop ceilings.  However, apparently the original plaster lobby ceiling with crown moldings are intact and hidden above the drop ceiling! 

Next up, the skeletal remains of the balcony!  This first shot is the view coming up the balcony stairs and looking back towards the seating.  He uses this space mainly for storage... hence the xmas tree. 

This is the view back towards the stairs you just came up on.  Notice the old railing overlooking the main theater is still intact!  Unfortunately, just past this railing is where the building now ends.  A metal wall was constructed to divide the building in two – separating the old burnt out half from what was still salvageable as usable space. 

Going further into the room, this is where there primary stadium style seating was arranged (just for the balcony of course).  Underneath (where the ducting comes out of) is the rounded plaster ceiling I was talking about.  It looks like the simply punched a hole in the plaster to feed the ducting into the current offices, but I imagine it would be repairable as most of it looks intact.

This picture is of the space just to the right of the previous picture.  These stairs used to lead up to the projection booth.

You can still see the original cut-outs in the wall that the projectors used.

Heading back downstairs and going out what is now the back door takes us to where the main seating and screen used to be.  That back wall is where the screen was.

This shot pans left a little… it was just a single screen theater, but it looks like it would have been a pretty decent size screen. 

Here is a shot of where the seating would have been.  Now just empty beer bottles and weeds :(

This final shot is of the standing out on the back sidewalk looking back towards what would be the lobby doors on the first floor and the balcony above. 
Looking back.

Well, I hope you enjoyed the tour.  Let me know if you have any questions!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:50:57 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: A Saturday morning trip to the Colonial Theater, Valdese NC…
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:25:30 PM »
Ha ha… you didn’t think I was really done did you?  Anyway, here are the real goods!  Check out this old poster frame he has!  The theater opened in 1931 and I can only imagine that this frame has been with the theater ever since!  I can picture it housing all the old Universal horror posters. :) Notice the layout too… it has three locking doors.  The middle one obviously holds a 1-sheet, and I at first thought the two side sections might be spaces for insert posters.  However, they are shorter than 1-sheet, so I ruled that out. 

Upon closer inspection, each side section is sub-divided into 4 spaces.  I’m pretty sure, given that this theater only had a single screen, that they were used for a lobby set that accompanied the one sheet.  I think the box at the top of the one sheet probably held a card with the show times.  And wow, check out that craftsmanship!  I’m fairly certain it is wood with plaster detail.  It is just fantastic.  Now, if I can only convince my friend to store something other than photos in it!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:52:22 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:27:13 PM »
Not done yet…

Now, for the real reason I made the trip.  He had a second frame from up in the balcony storage area that he said I could have!  I don’t think it is from the original opening (like the other display), but it is definitely old.  It is made of wood and has about 15 layers of lead paint on it.  I’m guessing it is from the 50’s or so.  And logically, it was probably used outside while the other larger display was used inside the lobby.

Here it is in the wild.  The small metal box at the top looks like it was added later and probably held a card with show times.

Here are some detail shots of the hinges showing the layers of paint!  Don’t eat it.

And it looks like this particular theater used either push pins or staples to hold their posters up.  The backing board was nearly destroyed in the upper corners!

Here it is hinged open.  I plan on restoring the frame and adding in some UV plexi.  I’ll probably also remove the backing board and replace it with art-care acid free backing.  I may or may not remove the metal box for the show times… I haven’t decided yet.

Thanks for looking… I hope you all enjoyed this trip down memory lane!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing this! 

I find stuff like this fascinating and very melancholy and the same time...

Great pics.
Chris

wonka

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »
Harry, I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciated your post and hard work here. 

One of the best things I have seen or read on the internets in some time.  Thank you thank you thank you!

scartacus

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 06:41:05 AM »
Splendid photo essay, Harry. Reminds me of that great scene in Cinema Paradiso when the director goes back to see the cinema of his childhood just before they dynamite it. 

kauaitx

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 02:03:30 PM »

What a nice way to spend a Saturday. 

Jeannie