Author Topic: "Collection Intervention" TV show  (Read 14489 times)

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
"Collection Intervention" TV show
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:17:38 PM »
I stumbled on this Sy-Fy show on the web. Wasn't one of our members invited to participate?

Here is a representative clip:
http://www.syfy.com/videos/Collection%20Intervention/Clips/vid:19155404

So, does anyone have the same reaction as me? I.e. "That guy has a GREAT collection - what is wrong with that?"  ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: "Collection Intervention" TV show
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »
Thanks for the link. His decor looks familiar....

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:11:46 PM »
His place is a dump.  I don't think the issue is collecting, but rather something else.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:42:35 PM »
Mel, I know Elyse well. You could be on the show, and then auction your whole collection in one eMoviePoster.com auction. They could show you watching the auction, and then getting paid (with one of those oversized checks), and then showing you entertaining a hot chick in your (posterless) bachelor pad.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
His place is a dump.  I don't think the issue is collecting, but rather something else.

I bet it was much messier before the camera crew arrived. Somehow the floor, that is showing, just looks too tidy.

and then showing you entertaining a hot chick in your (posterless) bachelor pad.

I think Bruce knows the facts... for bachelors, the posters have to go

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 01:34:25 AM »
I watched the first episode on Hulu and it's pretty good. There were 2 collectors: a couple with an immense and pretty high-quality Star Wars collection, and a guy with a garage full of junky Catwoman stuff! Both had indeed passed over into obsession, to the point where the collections were out of control. In the end they got help to get rid of some pieces and seemed all the better for it. The one thing that did strike me as odd for some reason was how the presenter insisted on putting a dollar value on the collections. It does follow the general dramaturgy of antiques shows, but none of these people ever even considered selling so it is not like they were buying the stuff as investments in the first place. Anyway, if I'm gonna watch a TV show I far prefer seeing cool stuff rather than the filthy junk most hoarders collect...

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »

Not all the posters have to go, women are only weirded out by the ones in the bathroom and the bedroom.    wynk

Brian
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:50:48 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »
Normally I won't watch reality TV shows since they're totally contrived but this one seems OK. Unlike "My Crazy Obsession" this one is not trying to humiliate the collectors.

IMHO the collectors in this hobby who need "interventions" are the ones who never display their posters. A total waste of time and money to stick them in storage, especially since posters generally do not appreciate. Why not collect lobby cards instead?

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »
Normally I won't watch reality TV shows since they're totally contrived but this one seems OK. Unlike "My Crazy Obsession" this one is not trying to humiliate the collectors.

IMHO the collectors in this hobby who need "interventions" are the ones who never display their posters. A total waste of time and money to stick them in storage, especially since posters generally do not appreciate. Why not collect lobby cards instead?

Because we are greedy and married!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

So does this mean my Goldfinger is still only worth a £5, and my Nightmare on Elm st £10....?
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »

So does this mean my Goldfinger is still only worth a £5, and my Nightmare on Elm st £10....?

I said "generally," did I not? You got in the game decades ago, right?

It's just a fact more recent collectors will lose money in this hobby. Why buy a depreciating asset that you don't use? Would you buy a vacation home that you never visited? Would you buy a car you never drove? Clothes you never wore?

Charlie

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
I said "generally," did I not? You got in the game decades ago, right?

I don't plan to think about selling for say another 30 to 40 years if at all.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »

Not all the posters have to go, women are only weirded out by the ones in the bathroom and the bedroom.    wynk

Brian

Mel's Bathroom Poster Collection (Nice Pink Bathroom Tile  ;D)

Mel's Bedroom Poster Collection (9 1/2 Weeks might make some run away, but might inspire others   wynk)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:10:07 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »

Mel's Bathroom Poster Collection (Nice Pink Bathroom Tile  ;D)

Mel's Bedroom Poster Collection (9 1/2 Weeks might make some run away, but might inspire others   wynk)

Ha-ha, well let's just say I've slightly matured since then. In fact I no longer display posters in the bedroom at all.

Charlie

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 11:05:19 PM »
Ha-ha, well let's just say I've slightly matured since then. In fact I no longer display posters in the bedroom at all.

And I have the Dirty Pretty Things now... on a sour note I fell off my bike and sprained my wrist so pulpfixin is down for a few days if not a week... sorry Mel...

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
In fact I no longer display posters in the bedroom at all.

That still leaves your john collection.  So what is your current bathroom lineup? I would assume they would have to be posters that you could care less about getting steamed up.

I was amazed at all the posters you have displayed at one time or another on your Zany Home Framed Collection thread.  I think that it is not a stretch that you rotate out more posters than anybody in the hobby.  I would imagine that it takes an entire weekend to replace old posters with new posters.  At least you have a lot of themes to choose from.

And yes, I agree that displaying posters is less of a hoarder issue than stock piling thousands of posters in several flat file cabinets or creating a cardboard tube cavern.   wynk

Brian

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:30:26 AM by ATLfun »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »
yeah, a big thumbup to those getting to enjoy much of their collection on their walls.

you now display the fruits of success - a panty collection?

Charlie

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 10:18:40 AM »
Is there a thread for misleading posters?  That Dirty Pretty Things is a perfect candidate!  We bought it on blu-ray, made the kid go to bed and then we were knee deep in kidneys...   laugh1  Seriously though - quite misleading...

But then Mel wouldn't know because he doesn't actually watch movies...

So in defense of the argument of displaying, since posters were meant to advertise shouldn't you at least attempt to see the movies of the posters you own?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 04:22:27 PM »

It's just a fact more recent collectors will lose money in this hobby.

My guess 30 years ago the old timers were saying the same thing to people who were collecting posters then.
David

Bruce

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »
David,

That's exactly right. You notice that hardly ANY old-timers who talk about the days of cheap great posters actually bought them back then? That's because they were rare and relatively "expensive" even then, and few collectors were independently wealthy, and all too often they financed their latest purchase with sales of previous purchases.

I salute those old-timers who had the foresight to buy the right out of favor items, and those who stepped up to the plate and "overpaid" for the right "hot" items, because those guys made killings.

But on the other hand, there are plenty of other guys who bought the wrong out of favor items, and those have gone nowhere, and who "overpaid" for the WRONG "hot" items, and they took a bath.

Ah, for a crystal ball, then or now!

Charlie

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 05:59:14 PM »
in 1975 what would you normally pay for a plain old common one sheet?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
That still leaves your john collection.  So what is your current bathroom lineup? I would assume they would have to be posters that you could care less about getting steamed up. I was amazed at all the posters you have displayed at one time or another on your Zany Home Framed Collection thread.  I think that it is not a stretch that you rotate out more posters than anybody in the hobby.  I would imagine that it takes an entire weekend to replace old posters with new posters.  At least you have a lot of themes to choose from.  And yes, I agree that displaying posters is less of a hoarder issue than stock piling thousands of posters in several flat file cabinets or creating a cardboard tube cavern.  

Jessica Rabbits are likely to be permanent in the b-room, both because I like 'em and they're waterproof mylars.  Definitely going to do more themes, not just genres, ex. posters of faces.

But then Mel wouldn't know because he doesn't actually watch movies... So in defense of the argument of displaying, since posters were meant to advertise shouldn't you at least attempt to see the movies of the posters you own?

Don't see the connection. Normally I buy based on artistry and creativity, which does not correlate to the quality of the movie, exs. Astounding She Monster (terrible movie, great poster), This Gun For Hire (mediocre, dated movie; great poster).

My guess 30 years ago the old timers were saying the same thing to people who were collecting posters then.

Yes, but I don't think they are comparable situations.  Before the Internet in 1995 it was far more difficult to find, sell, trade, learn about, or determine fair market value for movie posters.  The Internet vastly expanded the pool of buyers and that will never occur again.   Plus, it's probable that demand for movie posters will decrease in the future since movie posters are going the way of the dodo bird.  Demand for the best classic posters will probably remain steady but we won't see the substantial jump in price that occurred from 1995-2008.

you now display the fruits of success - a panty collection?

Ha, you guys shouldn't be so p-whipped about displaying posters.  Most of the gals who have seen my collection say they're "cool." One of the female secretaries today told me how me she liked my 1930s stone litho posters that I currently have displayed.

I'd say the "secondary effects" of poster collecting - being broke and too much isolation time on the Internet while searching for posters and hanging out on forums - are more of an impediment to romance than the actual posters themselves.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:37:49 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »

Yes, but I don't think they are comparable situations.  Before the Internet in 1995 it was far more difficult to find, sell, trade, learn about, or determine fair market value for movie posters.  The Internet vastly expanded the pool of buyers and that will never occur again.   Plus, it's probable that demand for movie posters will decrease in the future since movie posters are going the way of the dodo bird.  Demand for the best classic posters will probably remain steady but we won't see the substantial jump in price that occurred from 1995-2008.

Overall I don't agree, but all I can say is check back with me in 30 years and say 'I told you so' if you are proved to be right. Until then, you remain wrong.  ;)
David

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
in 1975 what would you normally pay for a plain old common one sheet?

I think I paid $7 for my JAWS one sheet in '75.
That was at a dealer's shop.  Top dollar...  wynk

I regret not buying a dozen or more.  Sell 'em to you miscreants for big bucks...  whip

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
Overall I don't agree, but all I can say is check back with me in 30 years and say 'I told you so' if you are proved to be right. Until then, you remain wrong.  ;)

Yes, Australian collectors are notoriously accurate and wise  8)