Author Topic: Empire Strikes Back-GWTW style has odd printed creases/folds...?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Unfolded my copy today, and was a bit taken back by what looks like fold lines or creases of sorts on this design...but aren't literally folded. My first inclination was that it was an old fake, since the paper weight, feel, smell, etc...all checked out. However, the GAU info was sharp and correct, as are the four corner markers.

There is one 'fold' that is under the bottom horizontal actual fold, just above the top credit line, and beneath the ESB title graphic. The line extends the entire width of the poster.

Here are pics of mine, not the best, and not the clearest, but will give you a decent picture of what I noticed:

The second 'fold/crease' of sorts is through the lower half of the Taun-Taun that Luke is riding. This line is a purplish hue, and does not extend to the borders of the poster, but only extends in the middle third of the width:

Here is a pic I stole from Dave to put some crude red arrows on for points of reference:

Thoughts?

After proving my theory that it is indeed an original off of Dave's and other stock photos, was that the purple line was a reference line for the artist in terms of placement. Not sure what the bottom/larger 'crease' is. It literally looks like someone scanned a folded poster. Have never run into this before...what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:26:10 PM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline enki

• Collector
Re: Empire Strikes Back-GWTW style has odd printed creases/folds...?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »
I have a 30x40 rolled GWTW style poster on card stock. Mine has these lines as well. While I have no idea what the origin is for them, I can certainly say that it's present on 100% legit posters. But that doesn't make it any less confusing - in fact it makes it more so. I imagine there is an interesting story behind it...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »
There are some threads here (I believe) about Aussie posters (I think Terminator?) with similar fold lines in the image that aren't fold lines...
Chris

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
Do you think it was possibly folded incorrectly a long time ago? I guess determining if it is printed or a physical fold is key. If everything else is up to snuff, my guess would be someone folded it off its original crease resulting in an albeit faint line.

Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 07:09:22 PM »
Do you think it was possibly folded incorrectly a long time ago? I guess determining if it is printed or a physical fold is key. If everything else is up to snuff, my guess would be someone folded it off its original crease resulting in an albeit faint line.

Conor

Definitely not a real fold in the slightest.

I thought these were printed from plates, but these ESB posters look almost like scans...not sure what technology existed then. Even the art is somewhat blurry.

Also, the tagline at the top is darker, almost more muted/bluish compared to the Empire logo white. Cool design, but a poorly printed poster.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Bruce

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »
I have written about this before. It is on ALL examples of this art, whatever the poster.

There is an obvious likely answer. Look at the horizontal line. It looks like that it where the originally painted art ended, and that the artist assumed they would fill out the rest with a solid background (or he was given the wrong dimensions).

I would bet he was asked to "add" a section to the bottom of the art that would make it the correct dimensions, and that he did.

That would explain it.

Bruce