Author Topic: Australian Vs American  (Read 152877 times)

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

Re: Australian Vs American
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »
No, Australia's censors have problems with words like 'terror' or images of cleavage, thighs, etc.
We got over that years ago.
I used the word 'jerk' as in 'knee-jerk' reaction to the scary 'terror' word that so easily frightened the aforementioned censors.

For someone who's never been to Australia (nor anywhere much outside your own town) it's amazing how confident you when you spurt forth untruths. However I understand your obsession with "censorship" considering America invented the term and enforced tyrannical control over the US film industry for more than three decades. An actress had to keep one foot on the ground when being politely pecked - how quaint. And your TV shows, lol - fathers and mothers sleeping in separate beds well into the 60's. In Australia, shows of the same period like "No 96" were showing full frontal nude women (and men) in prime time. No separate beds here!

As for cleavage - check out the daybill for "Prince and the Showgirl" - there's a medal hanging off her mammory gland - the artist couldn't have drawn more attention to (t)it if he tried.

Then again,. you should know about tits - as you're a total boob.  :D

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
I like you Sci-Fi_Sorcerer... please join us over the political threads  ;D

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »

Well, darned if I shouldn't have become a politican, I'd have cleaned up this town!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »

I like he/she/it too.
Ballsy li'l pecker.
So, what's yer real name?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »
Feisty.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
Maybe not as ballsy as I thought.
No name?
Whatsamatter? Cat got yer tongue?

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2013, 08:31:03 PM »
Brude, you can call me "Your Excellency", everyone else can call me ""Friend." Awwwwww

Hiya Ari!!! I have to go out for a couple of hours, I hope you're around then as I'd love to catch up. Ciao for Now!!!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »
As you might have noticed, we all know one another's name.
What's yours?

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2013, 08:43:37 PM »
Your up late SFS go to bed  :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:44:31 PM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #234 on: February 11, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »

-Jeff

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2013, 10:15:49 PM »
Your up late SFS go to bed  :D

But I only go to bed when I'm up.

See what this place does to me?

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2013, 10:17:24 PM »
As you might have noticed, we all know one another's name.
What's yours?

I'm not like everybody else....  8)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »
To be fair there are many, many examples of ridiculous censorship in Aussie posters.

Not to mention many of the classic Universal horror movies being banned in Oz (or heavily edited) into the 60s...
Chris

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2013, 10:47:54 PM »
To be fair there are many, many examples of ridiculous censorship in Aussie posters.

Not to mention many of the classic Universal horror movies being banned in Oz (or heavily edited) into the 60s...

Oh no CSM, we're going to have our first fight!   moron1   While some Aussie posters are censored, you can still find just as many originals that slipped through the "cracks" (no pun intended). Also, I think you're confusing Aussie and New Zealand posters. The Kiwis often took crude black markers to any offending nudity/violence - Australia never.

We never were the provincial, naive community Americans think we were and are.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2013, 10:52:19 PM »
Oh no CSM, we're going to have our first fight!   moron1   While some Aussie posters are censored, you can still find just as many originals that slipped through the "cracks" (no pun intended). Also, I think you're confusing Aussie and New Zealand posters. The Kiwis often took crude black markers to any offending nudity/violence - Australia never.

We never were the provincial, naive community Americans think we were and are.

No confusion...although you are right about NZ posters being even more heavily censored. 

It's mainly suggestions of violence or overt sexuality that were omitted in the Aussie artwork vs. US...there is no argument really - there are many examples as I said.

It may be true that you're not a prude but the many of the posters were  :P
Chris

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
No confusion...although you are right about NZ posters being even more heavily censored. 

It's mainly suggestions of violence or overt sexuality that were omitted in the Aussie artwork vs. US...there is no argument really - there are many examples as I said.

It may be true that you're not a prude but the many of the posters were  :P

Nope, many examples I have of violent and overtly sexual Australian daybills from the 40's-60's, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2013, 10:59:15 PM »
Some censored Aussie poster art. I guess "noosed" women and severed heads were a bit too much?:

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2013, 10:59:30 PM »
Re house on haunted hill, we just love Vincent Price and skeletons, didn't want to mess it up with one and a bit Sheila's.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »
Re house on haunted hill, we just love Vincent Price and skeletons, didn't want to mess it up with one and a bit Sheila's.

wynk

-Jeff

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2013, 11:01:57 PM »

Some censored Aussie poster art. I guess "noosed" women and severed heads were a bit too much?:

My god, you're doing a crowzilla! Showing one example does not win an argument - believe me, somewhere in Australia is an original copy of that poster with a hung woman (obviosuly an hermaphrodite). One artist's conception is just that.

I find it laughable that the Yanks think Australia had an aversion to violence and sex when the country was founded by convicts and we have always been known as the horniest people alive.

Sci-Fi_Sorcerer

« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
And actually, the Australian art work on that Vincent Price poster beats the US, so thanks for supporting our industry :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #246 on: February 11, 2013, 11:03:39 PM »
Nope, many examples I have of violent and overtly sexual Australian daybills from the 40's-60's, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Yes of course there examples where no censorship was done.  I don't think anyone was asserting every and all Aussie posters from that time frame were 'censored'.

It's an indisputable fact that the artwork on some (there are many) Aussie posters was altered vs. the US of the same time period.  Don't get why it's such a touchy subject...it's the truth and it makes them artifacts of cultural history...
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #247 on: February 11, 2013, 11:08:29 PM »

Maybe not as ballsy as I thought.
No name?
Whatsamatter? Cat got yer tongue?

Nothing is more "ballsy" than a guy who runs off at the mouth, while hiding in anonymity, on the internet.  Welcome aboard, "Sci-Fi_Sorcerer." welcome1

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:13:55 PM by NeoLoco »

Charlie

« Reply #248 on: February 11, 2013, 11:19:24 PM »
I kept thinking this guy sounds like Nicholas Cage... Well is that you Nicky?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:28:05 PM by Charlie »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #249 on: February 11, 2013, 11:26:14 PM »
My god, you're doing a crowzilla! Showing one example does not win an argument - believe me, somewhere in Australia is an original copy of that poster with a hung woman (obviosuly an hermaphrodite). One artist's conception is just that.

I find it laughable that the Yanks think Australia had an aversion to violence and sex when the country was founded by convicts and we have always been known as the horniest people alive.

Who said that doing a comparison won any argument? Not I. It's called a visual example, in case you didn't get it. And how is showing an example "doing a crowzilla?" This simply shows that Aussie posters, like those from other countries, have been censored from time to time.

Who here said that the Aussies had an aversion towards violence and sex? Again, it wasn't said here.

And your "somewhere in Australia is an original copy of that poster" comment doesnt cut it. That, then, could be said of any poster or any THING, for that matter, whether it was true or not.  The censored art version was the poster put out in Aus for this film.

But please, show us an uncensored example; dont just ask us to believe it, simply because you said it is so.

Maybe, though, you meant that some "horny convict" painted an uncensored copy on his living room wall. That certainly might have been the case.   :P

-Jeff