Author Topic: What do you NOT collect?  (Read 42256 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: What do you NOT collect?
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2014, 11:37:06 PM »
I think I have three rolled posters or unfolded posters in my collection.
I probably will fold them soon. They are not worth anything except for completist sake.
I don't actual like them either and I might not keep them, they are from the new hammer films. So I kinda think I won't collect their new stuff.
So for me it's unfolded posters I don't collect.

Unless they are smaller format, Belgians or whatever.
Oh I guess inserts and half sheets are ok unfolded, shit and Japanese and German a1 but that's about as big as I'd go. I have a box thing that they fit in flat so it's ok. And can get plastic sleeves they go into at some stage easily and reasonably priced to fit into a file to "flip" through.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2014, 03:18:21 AM »
Okay, are we done here?  Can we go back to the original question?  I can't be the only one who doesn't collect specific posters.  Are all of you fine people collecting everything that comes your way?

T

I only collect Bond specific to UK, US and erm I guess now International English language.  And Saint film lobby cards.

I don't collect poster variations outside of Quads and 1 Sheets, which therefore means no inserts, window cards, half sheets, US 30x40 or any other sheets with anything but a 1 in front of that.

Therefore, I don't collect anything else, from anywhere else.

And my name is Simes.  Nice to be met.   ;)

Mirosae

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2014, 03:57:11 AM »
I think I have three rolled posters or unfolded posters in my collection.
I probably will fold them soon.

Come on Ari...show them some luv >:D

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2014, 09:45:13 AM »
It is always hard to say "never".  Sometimes a poster just speaks to you and you break a rule just to have it.  I tend to shy away from non-US material, but I have a couple of dozen pieces, including daybills, French 1p, Argentinian, etc.

I tend to stay away from horror, simply because it is so popular and thus overpriced IMO, but I have a few, like the Nightmare on Elm Street 1 sh.

If I were hard and fast on not collecting certain countries, I wouldn't have wonderful stuff like this delightful Danish Top Hat
-Jay-

Mirosae

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »
^ With the added bonus that it has the title in English. Beautiful!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »
Very nice, jayn_j...

I see in the upper left a small film censor stamp that indicates 1950-51. Is this poster also a later RR from that same year? Or is this a first release that was used much later on in the 1950s? Any idea?

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »
Very nice, jayn_j...

I see in the upper left a small film censor stamp that indicates 1950-51. Is this poster also a later RR from that same year? Or is this a first release that was used much later on in the 1950s? Any idea?

Whatever it is I bet he is

HEAVEN, HE IS IN HEAVEN
...Dah Dah. ...
Cheek to cheeeeeek...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »
Very nice, jayn_j...

It is actually a quite interesting question. 
I bought this one from Bruce in 1995: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/7500137.html
He advertised it as a 1950s RR

Nothing else turned up until last year when he sold 2 other copies.  One was sold as original 1936 release.  The other has a note that says although it has a 1950/51 censor stamp, it is believed to be original release that was repurposed.
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/11364445.html
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/12664394.html

So I have no idea.  It is nice how the auction price has quadrupled in the last 20 years, though!  Makes up some for other worthless garbage I own :)
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »
Jay..a little off track of the thread.. so this will be the last thing about your Top Hat poster.

A couple things that caught my eye and a couple things uncovered that may suggest that this is a later RR poster:

1. The poster is lacking any production credits, director's name or other actors. If one looks on any first release poster, this info is usually present. This poster has just the title, the 2 lead actor's names only, and the titles of what had become popular Berlin songs from the film.

2. The tag line in Danish, in the upper right, translates to "The all time funniest dance film."  New film posters will often make claims like this.. and here, too, it could have been a pure marketing hook to lure in audiences. Or was it added there in the 1950s, after the film had been out for almost 20 years and established itself as a well loved, comedic dance movie?

3. But the wording in the lower right corner, in capital letters. NY COPI seems a more solid clue. Those words translates to "New Copy." In the 1950's, Top Hat was re-edited before its re-release in the US. Could "new copy" also mean this was a re-edited version used in Denmark?  (or would that wording have been printed on a first release Danish poster from Feb, 1936?)

I'm just throwing these ideas and finds out there.  ;)

And that's what makes this hobby so fascinating. Looking, digging and examining the small details that might help to shed some light.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:57:59 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2014, 10:50:08 PM »
Its a great post Jay.

Mirosae

« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
I collect my fav poster or film or director per decade. So far the only thing I don't collect are posters from certain decade, can't find anything there...poster or film...nothing. And God knows I try. I am avoiding that decade like the plague.
That said...i think I could live with one, so no posters from that period except perhaps  that one.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2014, 05:00:06 PM »
I collect my fav poster or film or director per decade. So far the only thing I don't collect are posters from certain decade, can't find anything there...poster or film...nothing. And God knows I try. I am avoiding that decade like the plague.
That said...i think I could live with one, so no posters from that period except perhaps  that one.

And what decade is it that you are avoiding and cannot find anything from, so far?   dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
I hear the 1870s are pretty tough.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2014, 05:50:12 PM »
Indeed ;)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »
I hear the 1870s are pretty tough.

Let's have Louie weigh in on which 19th century decade is the hardest to collect from...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »
Why Louie?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
Cause he is the Vintage-Only boy 'round here.  ;)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
Let's have Louie weigh in on which 19th century decade is the hardest to collect from...

laugh1
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2014, 07:53:52 PM »
If louie can find a way to wipe her own ass that would be a small miracle.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2014, 10:56:31 PM »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2014, 11:16:24 PM »
Cause he is the Vintage-Only boy 'round here.  ;)

Hmm...  Don't really know what that means, but okay.

T
My Personal Collection

2007Whoopi

« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2014, 02:19:47 AM »
Seeing Bruce's latest auctions made me realize how little interest I have in some formats, or posters from specific countries.  Not that there is anything wrong with them, I just never got around to collecting them.

For instance, I do not collect:

US 1/2 sheets
US inserts
US window cards
Italian Locandinas
Australian Daybills
French small posters
Japanese Chirashis
Spanish posters
Belgian posters
Yugoslavian posters

I just saw some of these on Bruce's site and ended up scrolling down to the next page without even looking.  And I thank God for that, because otherwise, collecting would be endless.  Not that it's not already.   puke

T

I do not collect:

one-sheets
three-sheets
foreign titles for US movies (except Belgians)
Horror posters
Sexploitation posters
Post - 1980 posters
Heralds
Vintage stills
Western posters
Asian posters
Casablanca posters

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2014, 02:51:23 AM »
I do not collect:
Australian posters

The only Australian posters I have are for the Wicker Man.  The naked lady artwork makes them the best posters for this title IMHO.  Stay tuned for the letter W in the Halloween countdown thread!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2014, 06:42:42 AM »
Looking forward to that... :D  though I'd hardly call it a horror film....still these young'ns are posting all kinds.. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »
I do not collect:
Australian posters

The only Australian posters I have are for the Wicker Man.  The naked lady artwork makes them the best posters for this title IMHO.  Stay tuned for the letter W in the Halloween countdown thread!

Perfect!
Chris