Author Topic: Why is the Q The Winged Serpent quad so flippin expensive?  (Read 1756 times)

Repto

Why is the Q The Winged Serpent quad so flippin expensive?
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »

I started to winge in the Vintage thread about how some posters always seem to be out of my reach, even when not particularly well known, exemplary or even salacious. So I would be interested in opinions on this one, on Ebay right now and bidding is already 3 times higher than I was prepared to go, 13 bids with 4 more days to go -

I first tried to buy this poster in 2006 when an Irish owner had it listed on Ebay, but missed out on it because it was about 11pm California time and back then I didn't have a snipe program to buy stuff in my sleep. It went for #8.50 or approx $15.  Since then, every time I have tried to buy it I have been massively outbid, by a factor of about 10. This time round I was going to punt about 30 quid on it ($50)...which seems the right price for something I consider a "Normal" poster:

Vintage - 80's so not really vintage   
    Art - nice, I am a big fan of Chantrell, but nothing unusual, he is the most prolific Quad artist ever and in this case I think the Vallejo 1sh art is slightly better
    David Carradine - mediocre star power, Death Race 2000 is bigger, better, and I only paid $50 for the quad of that
    Boobies - like in the fleeting glimpse of the topless sunbather in the actual movie, not a huge feature
    Title - lackluster theatrical release, more popular in video (for the boobies)
    Pop Culture - yes, its very 80s, had a certain appeal but still a little obscure surely?

So why is this poster so consistently out of my reach? Yes I could bid higher - but it just seems wrong! What is so special that I am missing? Is it just that so few films start with Q? There are a bunch of posters like this, they should be "normal" but aren't, why?

I know if I lose control and pay the market rate I will see one for sale next week at a Buy it Now of $24.99...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Why is the Q The Winged Serpent quad so flippin expensive?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »
Have you done any online searches to see if anyone has it for sale (outside an auction or eBay)?
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:13:44 PM »
I suppose it is an "obscure" title, but is a Larry Cohen, and has some cult status. Plus, the image in the quad is far better than the US one sheet...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
That's some price, Alex will be pleased....

Er, you know that one the Irish fellow was selling........... ;D ;)   I said we bid on the same stuff all the time...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
I feel your pain on that Q quad, Repto.
I've wanted to find a cheap one for years.  No go.
Lot of people put a high value on it.

I also am a fan of the Boris one sheet.