Author Topic: Any Recommendations On What To Tell International Seller to Ship Posters In?  (Read 37156 times)

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
Been charged import tax once, attempted charge a second time but argued my way out of it (funnily enough for my own posters coming back from the linenbacker).
99.9% sure 1K is the new limit, used to be around the $600 as Ari said.

I would just send as gift with nominal amount and some form of tracking so that if it goes walkabout, it can be located.
Ves

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Well the deal may have fallen through.  Haven't heard back from him regarding my last email when I asked what uninsured shipping would cost.  Maybe he's finally fed up of dealing with it.  Maybe I can find someone with these who is used to shipping to the USA so we don't have to go through this again.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
This may have worked out for the better.  Just came across a bunch of old stuff I've been looking for on eBay, so instead of spending $200 for a few huge modern posters I'll probably never hang up and $100 for shipping I can invest in some stuff I'd actually display, I've got to ween myself off these bus posters it's killing my budget and making me miss stuff I really wanted.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
This may have worked out for the better.  Just came across a bunch of old stuff I've been looking for on eBay, so instead of spending $200 for a few huge modern posters I'll probably never hang up and $100 for shipping I can invest in some stuff I'd actually display, I've got to ween myself off these bus posters it's killing my budget and making me miss stuff I really wanted.

Older is better  ;D
Chris

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Older is better  ;D

I agree. I normally wouldn't think about a modern poster but I like big posters, and when I saw a couple bus shelters I liked I got hooked, they're like a drug!!!  :o  Is there a bus shelter patch out there I can put on my arm, to starve the cravings?  :D  I was doing so good sticking to my budget before I got into bus shelters...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I agree. I normally wouldn't think about a modern poster but I like big posters, and when I saw a couple bus shelters I liked I got hooked, they're like a drug!!!  :o  Is there a bus shelter patch out there I can put on my arm, to starve the cravings?  :D  I was doing so good sticking to my budget before I got into bus shelters...

You and Steve (50s) need to talk - he's also a man into big things ;)
Chris

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
He emailed back, I bought.  Figured I spent all this time I might as well.  At about $68 a pop (that's including shipping) even if I change my mind and want to sell them I ought to be able to recoup the cost of these as they aren't available in the USA, and good luck to anyone who can find another German willing to ship them to the USA.  I think the only reason this guy did is because he wasn't likely to sell them at his asking price of 40 euros a piece to anyone in Germany.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
I think you'll be very happy with them. They're actually 2 for the price of one because they're 2 single sided posters stapled together. Hope they arrive ok.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
I have had that before, a number of titles, Army of Darkness was the worst to receive, (different seller)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
good luck to anyone who can find another German willing to ship them to the USA.

Hey, I am German and I am shipping posters to the US all the time.

Armin

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
I have had that before, a number of titles, Army of Darkness was the worst to receive, (different seller)

I did mention it over PMs. I had a set of 4 sent to me in London, and just by the way this type of banner is constructed makes them difficult to roll as individual pieces, even more so when there are 4. I took the metal clips off mine and separated the 2 posters so they could be stored without any more stress on the paper. I don't care about resale value because they're not going anywhere!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl

Armin

No I mean these particular posters.  I've not seen them anywhere else except eBay Germany, and most of the sellers don' want to ship them to the USA because of size.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
I think you'll be very happy with them. They're actually 2 for the price of one because they're 2 single sided posters stapled together. Hope they arrive ok.

Sounds pretty good, so I could technically un-staple one side and sell it... I'm guessing you figured out which posters I'm talking about.  So where you able to get your hands on the other 3?

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
Yep, I knew from our first conversation ;) I guess you could sell them because as I said, they're just 2 posters stapled together with a metal hanger. The only issue is top and bottom would show where the staples were and have a crease where the hanger pinched them. Would probably soften over time though. I managed to get a complete set, I actually turned down the set you've got. It was problematic getting them though. Enjoy them...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Yep, I knew from our first conversation ;) I guess you could sell them because as I said, they're just 2 posters stapled together with a metal hanger. The only issue is top and bottom would show where the staples were and have a crease where the hanger pinched them. Would probably soften over time though. I managed to get a complete set, I actually turned down the set you've got. It was problematic getting them though. Enjoy them...

So am I right in assuming they only printed these four character ones? I don't think mine will have hanger pinches because they were never hung, but we'll see, the guy said they were mint.  I don't think I'd have any problems selling the other side here in the US even if there was small amount of damage.  The way people have been fighting over these US bus posters for the movie, most of which aren't mint.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:00:42 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
As far as I know there are just these 4 for Germany. In the UK I think they only printed the Depp poster. Yours will be pinched because the hanger is metal and grips the poster, it's no biggie. I'm not sure if you quite get what I mean about the issues with these being rolled and shipped though. Because of the way they're constructed they don't roll together well and so it can cause creases top and bottom where the metal grip pulls the poster. Again it's not a huge issue, they still look great.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
As far as I know there are just these 4 for Germany. In the UK I think they only printed the Depp poster. Yours will be pinched because the hanger is metal and grips the poster, it's no biggie. I'm not sure if you quite get what I mean about the issues with these being rolled and shipped though. Because of the way they're constructed they don't roll together well and so it can cause creases top and bottom where the metal grip pulls the poster. Again it's not a huge issue, they still look great.

Yea, it's hard to visualize, but doesn't sound like a big deal, and the fact they are rarer, and I paid less for them than the US ones, and the knowledge now that it's essentially two posters (not the typical double sided) makes me feel pretty good about it.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic

Armin

And very securely, I might add.
Armin is pro.  thumbup

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
And very securely, I might add.
Armin is pro.  thumbup

Thank you, Sir.

Armin

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Well the package has been shipped and is already in the USA, should be getting it Monday!  Actually surprised it's getting here so fast.  He shipped UPS, ordered another poster from Germany a week or so back (before I did this deal) they shipped DHL and it still isn't being shown as arriving in the USA...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Another question for those of you in Germany.  I purchased something else from Germany a few weeks back just a small rolled poster and it was shipped DHL, the tracking info hasn't changed since the 16th of June since it was last reported to be shipped out of Germany.  Two weeks seems a little long for something like that to take, especially after my four heavy banners got here in a week (via UPS).  Haven't had a lot of experience with DHL but this is slower than even the postal service...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Probably stuck in customs...
Chris

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Probably stuck in customs...

So are they going to bother notifying me, or do to I have to wait another two weeks for the shipper to request a search according to DHL's website?  I'm not even showing it arriving in the US, and it passed German inspection and was preparing to be shipped out, that was the last info.

Wed, 13.06.12 10:16 h    
--

The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically
Wed, 13.06.12 11:57 h    
DE

The shipment has been posted by the sender at the retail outlet
Wed, 13.06.12 20:23 h    
Börnicke, DE

The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin
Fri, 15.06.12 01:43 h    
Saulheim, DE

The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center
Sat, 16.06.12 00:12 h    
IPZ-Ffm, DE

The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:57:49 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Who knows?  Unfortunately, it's not an exact science (like it should be and even though it's 2012).

I wouldn't start worrying until a month or more has passed...
Chris

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
the tracking info hasn't changed since the 16th of June since it was last reported to be shipped out of Germany.

That is unfortunately normal. I was once told by the Deutsche Post/DHL that this is because the local postal services in the receiving country tracks registered shipments differently and Deutsche Post cannot update the information in their system. You will just have to wait.

Armin