Author Topic: Any Recommendations On What To Tell International Seller to Ship Posters In?  (Read 37157 times)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
I assume he means in your country and thats out of his hands (or Germany), I dont know if you get stung by customs, if so the bill would arrive when the parcel comes.

I get asked to put low values on items, but really only UK buyers as they have VAT.

The only time I ever had a customs was when I bought some clothes that were shipped from like Thailand, and UPS delivered the package to me then a week or so later they send me a bill.  I probably should have just ignored it, but I paid it.  What can they do if they've already delivered it and then attempt to collect customs?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

I've posted this before but you can try sending a link to the MPC "Shipping" section when you order your posters and request that they follow the procedures on that page.  Sometimes the seller will ignore it but at least you're putting them on notice that you expect competent shipping and the pictures are clear, even if seller doesn't speak or read English well.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:33:42 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Anyone know what I need to tell him to value it at for customs so I don't get charged an import fee?  This might be the reason he's had issues shipping to the US, appears he's marking full value on the customs form. I've paid an import tax once in my life and I don't want to pay it again, it's a ridiculously large %.  Help would be appreciated as the seller is asking me what I want it valued at so we can proceed.  The guy speaks and understands very little English, so I've pretty much given up on trying to tell him how to package, I'll have to risk it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:42:29 AM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
I usually put 20-30$ as value when I send posters to the US.
Never had a problem.

Armin

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
I usually put 20-30$ as value when I send posters to the US.
Never had a problem.

Armin

Okay and the description would just be "posters" correct?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Okay and the description would just be "posters" correct?

I always use "Used Movie Posters".

I think it's important to get "Used" into the declaration somewhere.

"Used Advertising Lithographs" also seems to work for Canada anyways ;)
Chris

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
I always use "Used Movie Posters".

I think it's important to get "Used" into the declaration somewhere.

"Used Advertising Lithographs" also seems to work for Canada anyways ;)

Okay sounds good.  So I'll tell him to do a value of 24 euros (roughly $30) and a description of "4 used movie posters"

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
I might have to back away from this, doesn't look like it will be worth it.  So I told the guy to put a value of 20 euros and he's telling me that he'll only be able to insure it for 20 euros then... according to what you've guys have said that doesn't seem right and what I've read customs value and insurance is completely unrelated.  I'm beginning to see more and more why this guy has had problems shipping to the USA.  I guess insurance really doesn't matter, since I'm paying via Paypal with a credit card I should ultimately have recourse no matter what right?  I emailed the guy telling him the two weren't related, don't know if he'll understand.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:01:07 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I have ALWAYS been hit by customs fees when packages have been insured. 

If it's a poster that is not really valuable your are going to need to chance it without insurance if you want to avoid problems...
Chris

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
I might have to back away from this, doesn't look like it will be worth it.  So I told the guy to put a value of 20 euros and he's telling me that he'll only be able to insure it for 20 euros then... according to what you've guys have said that doesn't seem right and what I've read customs value and insurance is completely unrelated.  I'm beginning to see more and more why this guy has had problems shipping to the USA.  I guess insurance really doesn't matter, since I'm paying via Paypal with a credit card I should ultimately have recourse no matter what right?  I emailed the guy telling him the two weren't related, don't know if he'll understand.

When shipping out of Australia, your customs value and insured value need to be the same.
I would think if you declare for 20 and insure for 200, someone would be more inclined to take a long hard look at your parcel.
Ves

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
So if I don't get insurance at all would the shipping be cheaper?  I don't think anything I've bought off eBay was insured.  Bought a $300 quad from the UK and it was just sent Royal Mail.

ozcinemagic

Declared value and insured value appear on the same form.
When I was looking to send some valuable items to HA for auction I questioned who would pay the customs / was customs due on auction items? The form has a field for "country of origin" of the goods being sent. It was suggested that if shipping back to the goods' country of origin, then duty may not apply. i.e U.S. lobby cards being shipped back to USA. Someone else here may be better educated, as I didn't get a definitive answer on it.
Don't forget putting a high value for insurance adds temptation to thieves in the postal service. Slit open the end, remove the contents and seal back up. Hard to claim once you've signed for the package.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
So if I don't get insurance at all would the shipping be cheaper?  I don't think anything I've bought off eBay was insured.  Bought a $300 quad from the UK and it was just sent Royal Mail.

Not sure if true in Germany, but definately is cheaper shipping without insurance here in Australia.
Ves

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
ISo I told the guy to put a value of 20 euros and he's telling me that he'll only be able to insure it for 20 euros then... according to what you've guys have said that doesn't seem right and what I've read customs value and insurance is completely unrelated. 

Customs value and insurance are indeed unrelated.  The seller can put on the customs form whatever he wants. What is written on the customs forms is not the responsibility of the postal services. They just have to make sure you put a form on the shipment.

Insurance is unrelated to that and the amount the shipment is insured for is not visible to the customs officers of the receiving country. So you can declare 20$ to customs and insure the shipment for 800€. No problem here in Germany, done it many times.

Armin

ozcinemagic

When we insure in Australia it changes to a different form covering both customs and insurance. In that case the values are on show.
Sounds like it's a lot easier to get around for German system.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
AT WORK we sent very valuable items and had separate insurance, so on the Aussie post item we put NO VALUE, and let our insurance company know if it was over $1,000.
We put "commercial samples" as the description.

For posters I write "used poster" or sometimes, "advertising material".
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
For posters I write "used poster"

Can your buyers not afford new stuff that they have to buy second hand?

Armin

Offline Ari

• Curator
yeah they are all cheapskates, I only send them ones with art on one side also, none of that fancy double sided stuff for my loser customers (shit most times they can't even afford gloss).  :P
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Customs value and insurance are indeed unrelated.  The seller can put on the customs form whatever he wants. What is written on the customs forms is not the responsibility of the postal services. They just have to make sure you put a form on the shipment.

Insurance is unrelated to that and the amount the shipment is insured for is not visible to the customs officers of the receiving country. So you can declare 20$ to customs and insure the shipment for 800€. No problem here in Germany, done it many times.

Armin

This guy obviously isn't very savy, because he asks the shipping company, and of course they're not going to tell him how to get around it.  Here's his reply:

"I asked the shipping business again.
It's like I had said: The tariff provides for the insured value!"

So they're either going to be declared at a high value and I risk paying who knows what in fees, or I risk it and not get it insured.  I'm fairly certain most stuff I buy internationally is not insured, I know I don't ask it to be and the shipping is usually low.  My only reserve is I've never bought something this big internationally.  Honestly I only wanted one of these posters, but I'm buying all four since shipping is so high it just seemed stupid not to and save. So to insure or not to insure?... that is the question.

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
You could go the middle way.
Insure for, let's say, 100$. If the posters go missing, you at least get some money back. If the customs people catch you, the import tax won't be that high.

Armin

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
You could go the middle way.
Insure for, let's say, 100$. If the posters go missing, you at least get some money back. If the customs people catch you, the import tax won't be that high.

Armin

If I'm paying through Paypal (with a credit card) don't I ultimately have insurance if I never receive the item whether or not it's insured with the shipping company?  Isn't insurance ultimately a cover for the seller in that sort of situation?  Usually ownership doesn't become mine until it's delivered, if it goes missing, he's the one that has to file an insurance claim not me.  Seems if I ultimately have protection with my credit card company getting insurance is pointless.  I've asked him for a quote on Registered Parcel Priority, if I can have it shipped and tracked at least I'll know what's going on. If I never get it I'll contact my credit card company and try to get a charge back (I have no faith in Paypal doing anything).  I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier, would have saved a lot of time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:41:33 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
If the package is a larger size, the seller will only be able to ship through DHL. In that case it should be insured over a certain amount (I think 400€) anyway.
As I said, the Deutsche Post / DHL have very strange requirements and charges sometimes. It might not be your seller's fault that he is so confused.

Armin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:27:24 PM by Posteroid »

Charlie

What about when you send something for linenbacking?  I have to send Matt's posters back soon US to AUS - advice?  And I've never had to pay custom on anything, does the US just not charge import taxes?

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
If the package is a larger size, the seller will only be able to ship through DHL. In that case it should be insured over a certain amount (I think 400€) anyway.
As I said, the Deutsche Post / DHL have very strange requirements and charges sometimes. It might not be your seller's fault that he is so confused.

Armin

I don't know.  This insurance deal is obviously the thing that's causing all the issues.  From what I've read (even on Paypal) if I don't receive something I can just go to my credit card company and request a charge back. So I don't even need to file a claim with Paypal or anything.  So if I have that option insurance is just another cost that I really don't need, and since it seems to be the object that's causing so much confusion and potentially could cost me more money in customs I see no benefit for it. I'll just go low value and no insurance.

Offline Ari

• Curator
What about when you send something for linenbacking?  I have to send Matt's posters back soon US to AUS - advice?  And I've never had to pay custom on anything, does the US just not charge import taxes?

Inmto Australia there should be NO Import tax for items under (I think) $1000. it was $600 or $700, ahh well I dont know, but say $600 as a low figure. Anything UNDER that should not get import tax. BUT I would mark as GIFT, and if its not insured, then put no value or a nominal amount. If insured, and under $600 (but that might be $1000) I still think it will be AOK.

I have never been charged. I think the UK are the worst for this with VAT.
An Error Has Occurred!